Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Supplemental Draft this week - July 11th (Wednesday)

Guys in this year's supplemental draft:

Adonis Alexander, DB – Virginia Tech. 6'3" 199lbs. Can play press corner or safety. 21 years old. Ravens, reportedly, were in attendance for his workouts.

Sam Beal, DB – Western Michigan. 6'1" 188lbs. Has upside as a starter in the NFL. Good coverage skills. Needs work on ball skills. Would like to bulk weight up into the 190's or low 200's. Ravens, reportedly, in attendance.

Brandon Bryant, DB – Mississippi State. 5'11" 207lbs. Ran a 4.4 40-yard dash. Good blend of speed, quickness, and physicality. Had 157 tackles, 5 interceptions, and 1 TD in 37 games. Ravens have had private meetings with him.

Martayveus Carter, RB – Grand Valley State. 5'11" 200lbs. Led D-2 in rushing last year with over 1900 yards and 20 TD's. Unsure if the Ravens were in attendance or have met with him.

Bright Ugwoegbu, LB – Oregon State. 6'2" 225lbs. Started 20 games for OSU. Seems to be a good tackler. Maybe a bit undersized. Ravens were not in attendance nor have they met with him.

So, what to make of this? Seems clear that the Ravens are still looking to bolster their secondary and that makes sense given how expensive Jimmy and T-Jeff are. Plus, Weddle is in his mid-30's.

Chuck Clark seems to be doing some good things and I think DeShone Elliot could become a decent in-the-box safety. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them go after Brandon Bryant.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Supplemental Draft this week - July 11th (Wednesday)

Question : why weren't some/all of these guys in the 2018 NFL draft?
    Thanks for the response(s) in advance... Bc

Blog Entries

If these guys arent drafted, they become FAs I believe.

Id think a lot of the leg work was being done to add them post draft as much as add them through the draft. I dont really expect us to be awarded any because I dont think well value them that high. Some teams get enamored with them and theres a lot of hype around this years draft, so i believe somebody will overbid.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I believe a couple were kicked out of school for discipline or academic reasons. Also one was injured.

I would be interested in a guy that can play deep safety. The only thing missing in our secondary is another guy that can play deep with Weddle.

The idea of having Jefferson in Mosely in the box with Weddle and another safety deep against the Steelers excites me. Jefferson sticks to TE's and one of the safeties doubles AB.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Typically injury and character issues.

We drafted Jared Gaither in the supplemental draft in 07 (only supp pick for us ever IIRC).

Gaither's issue was his grades which prevented him from playing the 07 season for Maryland so he decided to go pro through the supp draft rather than go back to Maryland in 08.

It can be a way to take a calculated risk on a guy.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    I believe a couple were kicked out of school for discipline or academic reasons. Also one was injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Typically injury and character issues.

We drafted Jared Gaither in the supplemental draft in 07 (only supp pick for us ever IIRC).

Gaither's issue was his grades which prevented him from playing the 07 season for Maryland so he decided to go pro through the supp draft rather than go back to Maryland in 08.

It can be a way to take a calculated risk on a guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My guess is that some probably could have been drafted. I'd certainly imagine Adonis Alexander would have been drafted at his size.

Some of these guys probably were unsure and opted to return to school...and fucked off with their grades and got suspended. Or, got popped for marijuana use or something.
    Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 07-09-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries

My guess is that some probably could have been drafted. I'd certainly imagine Adonis Alexander would have been drafted at his size.

Some of these guys probably were unsure and opted to return to school...and fucked off with their grades and got suspended. Or, got popped for marijuana use or something.

Wicked - what do we give up if we grab one of these guys?
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

At most, a mid-round pick.

The draft pick in the corresponding round of this coming draft. The supplemental pick takes the place of our pick in that round of the next draft.

So if we use a supplemental (say) 5th, then we've spent our natural 5th-rd pick in '19.

Doesn't the supplemental follow the same order as the draft (without trades)? Any time your # comes up you can pick or pass. If you do pick, you lose that round pick for the following year? If I recall we waited till the 5th round of the supplemental to take Gaither, so we lost our 5th round pick that year.