Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Using the VA for Disability

I know a lot of folks who are on disability from the VA. Most of them seem like they probably need it. A few definitely need it. Some, I feel like don’t really need it, but are using it because it’s there.

For example, one guy I know was prior Airborne Army and was in Faleujah and some other nasty spots in the mid-2000’s. He had a ton of jumps under his belt and one jump he had during training cracked some vertebrae, so he has a steel cage around one of the lower sections on his spine. That, along with PTSD, he gets pretty close to 100% disability from the VA.

Another guy I know, he’s a good friend, was in the Navy with me. He never deployed anywhere. He hurt his ankle while we were in, it other than that? Nothing. He broke his tail bone snowboarding after he had gotten out, but was still in inactive reserves. He recently applied for VA disability and got about 60-70% for sleep apnea, depression, his back, and his ankle. Mind you, this guy is 28. He doesn’t have much interest in working because he doesn’t deal with people very well. He’s only going to college right now for the BAH from the GI Bill.

I’m judging this guy super fucking hard lately because I think he’s scamming the system. Like I said, he’s a friend. I like the guy. But I think he’s lazy AF and has zero ambition and because the VA gives out disability to anyone for practically anything, he’s taking advantage of it.

Am I wrong for that?

I mean, I tore my shoulder while still active duty and it still bothers me every now and then. But I’m not dying and it hasn’t impacted me in doing things that I like to do...I just can’t bench press as much as I used to.

I could probably make a VA claim for disability and get a few hundred bucks a month for the rest of my life. I feel like I’d be scamming the system though and taking from some other guy or gal that has a legitimate claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Using the VA for Disability

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I know a lot of folks who are on disability from the VA. Most of them seem like they probably need it. A few definitely need it. Some, I feel like don’t really need it, but are using it because it’s there.

For example, one guy I know was prior Airborne Army and was in Faleujah and some other nasty spots in the mid-2000’s. He had a ton of jumps under his belt and one jump he had during training cracked some vertebrae, so he has a steel cage around one of the lower sections on his spine. That, along with PTSD, he gets pretty close to 100% disability from the VA.

Another guy I know, he’s a good friend, was in the Navy with me. He never deployed anywhere. He hurt his ankle while we were in, it other than that? Nothing. He broke his tail bone snowboarding after he had gotten out, but was still in inactive reserves. He recently applied for VA disability and got about 60-70% for sleep apnea, depression, his back, and his ankle. Mind you, this guy is 28. He doesn’t have much interest in working because he doesn’t deal with people very well. He’s only going to college right now for the BAH from the GI Bill.

I’m judging this guy super fucking hard lately because I think he’s scamming the system. Like I said, he’s a friend. I like the guy. But I think he’s lazy AF and has zero ambition and because the VA gives out disability to anyone for practically anything, he’s taking advantage of it.

Am I wrong for that?

I mean, I tore my shoulder while still active duty and it still bothers me every now and then. But I’m not dying and it hasn’t impacted me in doing things that I like to do...I just can’t bench press as much as I used to.

I could probably make a VA claim for disability and get a few hundred bucks a month for the rest of my life. I feel like I’d be scamming the system though and taking from some other guy or gal that has a legitimate claim.

Wicked my Brother ..you make an interesting question.
    As a son of a Vet ( wouldnt let me in cause i had Asthma , bastards) i have a personal tie to the Service.
    Half of me says yes you’re right your buddy is a mooch. Hes really not hurt and is just using his status as a Vet to get some money.
    The other half says..screw ‘em. As a Vet you guys deserve everything you can get from the gov and more. You said you guys never deployed..thats not your fault. Im sure you would have if called. The pay and beni’s in the service is shit so if he can collect a small check each month after hes out ...good for him.
    You Sir are burdened with a Good Character and an Old School work ethic. Pride. The desire to only be paid for a job done not get a “hand out “.
    I get that 100%. And the bitter tax payer in me could be “ hell no they dont get benifits.theyre not disabled. PTSD isnt a thing. But then id have to shoot myself for not being true.
    I wouldn’t judge your friend too hard. He served our country ...let the country serve him now. I dont think the VA is gonna run out of funding anytime soon. If they do ...i think the Gov would have a revolt on their hands of epic proportions. The last guys you wanna cheat or steal from are Well trained killers with a permanent brain disorder.

Damn im long winded. 🤪🥃

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Wicked my Brother ..you make an interesting question.
    As a son of a Vet ( wouldnt let me in cause i had Asthma , bastards) i have a personal tie to the Service.
    Half of me says yes you’re right your buddy is a mooch. Hes really not hurt and is just using his status as a Vet to get some money.
    The other half says..screw ‘em. As a Vet you guys deserve everything you can get from the gov and more. You said you guys never deployed..thats not your fault. Im sure you would have if called. The pay and beni’s in the service is shit so if he can collect a small check each month after hes out ...good for him.
    You Sir are burdened with a Good Character and an Old School work ethic. Pride. The desire to only be paid for a job done not get a “hand out “.
    I get that 100%. And the bitter tax payer in me could be “ hell no they dont get benifits.theyre not disabled. PTSD isnt a thing. But then id have to shoot myself for not being true.
    I wouldn’t judge your friend too hard. He served our country ...let the country serve him now. I dont think the VA is gonna run out of funding anytime soon. If they do ...i think the Gov would have a revolt on their hands of epic proportions. The last guys you wanna cheat or steal from are Well trained killers with a permanent brain disorder.

Damn im long winded. ����

I certainly agree that a lot of Vets deserve more than what they get and it is certainly true that while active duty we deal with low pay and a lot of BS. But it's not like we weren't aware of what we signed up for, you know? I enlisted knowing full well I could be out on a ship in the Persian Gulf for 9 months or deployed with a tac team on the ground. It is what it is. It's the military, you know? It's not supposed to be all rainbows and sunny days.

I just don't think that just because something like disability exists, you should try and scam a clearly flawed system. Just doesn't seem ethical to me. Especially knowing that there are guys and gals missing extremities from IED's or have some serious PTSD from combat. If you're an able-bodied person capable of providing for yourself (ie working), you should.

I certainly agree that a lot of Vets deserve more than what they get and it is certainly true that while active duty we deal with low pay and a lot of BS. But it's not like we weren't aware of what we signed up for, you know? I enlisted knowing full well I could be out on a ship in the Persian Gulf for 9 months or deployed with a tac team on the ground. It is what it is. It's the military, you know? It's not supposed to be all rainbows and sunny days.

I just don't think that just because something like disability exists, you should try and scam a clearly flawed system. Just doesn't seem ethical to me. Especially knowing that there are guys and gals missing extremities from IED's or have some serious PTSD from combat. If you're an able-bodied person capable of providing for yourself (ie working), you should.
    Agree 100%. On VET issues I can see an argument for both sides. SSI benifits I believe you should actually need. Same with any other Gov aide.

Am I wrong for that?

Idk, they clearly destroyed your competitive powerlifting career with that shoulder. May be time to apply.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My father is 100% disabled from Nam.

I loath all you hawks who shed none of your self or blood on the battlefield. War can affect one for the rest of his/her life. WAR IS HELL! Spread peace an goodwill, and get those government officials out of office who armchair quarterback their desire to put others loved ones on the battlefield while they sit back like nothing more than pussies who do not have the character and guts to defend this county!

With my education is Psychology, I see first hand the hell of war from those who have faced combat. If you won't do it, then do not sit back with radicalism while you are safe as well as all of your loved ones.

Lastly, I have read that distrust in government began in the 1960's with the controversial Vietnam War. These following generations owe a free society they experience to those in the military in the 20th century and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    My father is 100% disabled from Nam.

I loath all you hawks who shed none of your self or blood on the battlefield. War can affect one for the rest of his/her life. WAR IS HELL! Spread peace an goodwill, and get those government officials out of office who armchair quarterback their desire to put others loved ones on the battlefield while they sit back like nothing more than pussies who do not have the character and guts to defend this county!

With my education is Psychology, I see first hand the hell of war from those who have faced combat. If you won't do it, then do not sit back with radicalism while you are safe as well as all of your loved ones.

Lastly, I have read that distrust in government began in the 1960's with the controversial Vietnam War. These following generations owe a free society they experience to those in the military in the 20th century and beyond.
    ? WTH????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    ? WTH????

Yea, no idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Idk, they clearly destroyed your competitive powerlifting career with that shoulder. May be time to apply.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Lol.

It hasn’t bothered me too much, but if I sleep on it wrong, it will ache.

I also try to do yoga more frequently to stretch out, but I’m not into it like some people are.

We’ll see. I’ll be 40 in 4 years. I’m hoping if I stay in decent shape, I won’t have too much of an issue.

First off, sounds like BaltRavens is the one in need of some disability, dude makes zero sense majority of the time.

Moving on.

Most of you know that I'm a Marine Veteran, if you didn't know or haven't figured it out by now, I doubt I can make it any more clear. I did 5 years active duty and got an honorable discharge, grateful for those 5 years and don't regret it one bit. I did have a couple knee surgeries because of the martial arts program I was in (MCMAP= Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) which was a poor mans Krav Maga in my opinion.

Time comes to do my transition courses because I decided to get out. During one of the courses we talk about our medical record and they tell us, whatever kind of issues you had, fill it out on said piece of paper, do all this and that pertaining to said injuries. Some people put everything and made shit up and then the ones with integrity put things that were no shit caused issues with health because of their service time (I was the ladder). I had issues, I filed it, left it at that.

Fast forward 10 months later and I get nice chunk (back dated to the date you filed) and letter from the VA explaining everything they deemed worthy of paying me and what they didn't. I knew I would get something because of my messed up knee, but the amount did surprise me and I kind of thought the same thing as you Wicked: guilty-ish, there are Veterans out there that need it more than me, did more/returned worse off. The VA awarded me what they seemed fit, I didn't try to scam the system and go after made-up issues, I was honest and I got what I got. I've even talked to numerous Veterans about this and they usually tend to lean towards "just be honest and let the system work itself out."

In my opinion, you should file. Not even to get money, sometimes there is no dollar amount and ill explain. I have massive migraine issues and its something that started while in the Marines, no clue why, so I put it in my file. When my report came back about what I'm getting and what I'm not getting my migraines were on there at 0%. Now that means I'm not getting any money for that "disability" but what that does mean is that any time I ever have a migraine issue, I can drive my ass up to the VA and get seen at no cost.

Like I said man, I think you should file. Just be honest when you file and let the world work itself out. PM if you would like more personal answers

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    First off, sounds like BaltRavens is the one in need of some disability, dude makes zero sense majority of the time.

Moving on.

Most of you know that I'm a Marine Veteran, if you didn't know or haven't figured it out by now, I doubt I can make it any more clear. I did 5 years active duty and got an honorable discharge, grateful for those 5 years and don't regret it one bit. I did have a couple knee surgeries because of the martial arts program I was in (MCMAP= Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) which was a poor mans Krav Maga in my opinion.

Time comes to do my transition courses because I decided to get out. During one of the courses we talk about our medical record and they tell us, whatever kind of issues you had, fill it out on said piece of paper, do all this and that pertaining to said injuries. Some people put everything and made shit up and then the ones with integrity put things that were no shit caused issues with health because of their service time (I was the ladder). I had issues, I filed it, left it at that.

Fast forward 10 months later and I get nice chunk (back dated to the date you filed) and letter from the VA explaining everything they deemed worthy of paying me and what they didn't. I knew I would get something because of my messed up knee, but the amount did surprise me and I kind of thought the same thing as you Wicked: guilty-ish, there are Veterans out there that need it more than me, did more/returned worse off. The VA awarded me what they seemed fit, I didn't try to scam the system and go after made-up issues, I was honest and I got what I got. I've even talked to numerous Veterans about this and they usually tend to lean towards "just be honest and let the system work itself out."

In my opinion, you should file. Not even to get money, sometimes there is no dollar amount and ill explain. I have massive migraine issues and its something that started while in the Marines, no clue why, so I put it in my file. When my report came back about what I'm getting and what I'm not getting my migraines were on there at 0%. Now that means I'm not getting any money for that "disability" but what that does mean is that any time I ever have a migraine issue, I can drive my ass up to the VA and get seen at no cost.

Like I said man, I think you should file. Just be honest when you file and let the world work itself out. PM if you would like more personal answers
    Hell yeah. Thanks Charles. You basically are an example of what i was trying to say. ( poorly im sure ).

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post

Moving on.

Dude, I tell it like it is! You should have consistent thoughts or opinions as a Marine, like I come from or out you go with the rest of the (R) clique here.