Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco's Future

Re: Flacco's Future

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    You forgot the sarcasm emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hall of Fair (?)
    Maybe it's just me, but it feels bad to take shots at the best QB in the history of the Ravens, BY FAR; and the best QB in Baltimore pro football history since Bert Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcakes View Post
    Flacco will play well this year, and take ravens deep into playoffs. IMO it will all depend on how well Jackson is progressing if Flacco is here in 2019. As of right now I see it 50/50 for flacco to be the starter in 2019. For sake of the excercise, I say he stays and plays, then signs with NWE in 2020 and becomes their bridge QB until they find their next Franchise QB. O and Flacco will take NWE to a deep playoff run as well!
    NE's offense depends on a lot of precise timing. I don't see Joe as a good fit there. Maybe NYG or SD but only if Eli or Rivers hang up the cleats after this year.

If Joe lights it up this year - admittedly a big "if" - I think he remains the starter in Baltimore for 2019, particularly if there's a deep playoff run. If he plays average to poorly, he's almost certainly gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it feels bad to take shots at the best QB in the history of the Ravens, BY FAR; and the best QB in Baltimore pro football history since Bert Jones.
    If you believe that disputing Flacco's credentials as a HOF candidate is taking a shot, then I suppose we differ on what constitutes a "shot".

I don't think anyone disputes that he's been the best Baltimore QB since Bert Jones.

NE's offense depends on a lot of precise timing. I don't see Joe as a good fit there. Maybe NYG or SD but only if Eli or Rivers hang up the cleats after this year.

If Joe lights it up this year - admittedly a big "if" - I think he remains the starter in Baltimore for 2019, particularly if there's a deep playoff run. If he plays average to poorly, he's almost certainly gone.
    I think you underestimate the importance of good coaching and scheme, and the ability of Bellichick to adjust scheme to players when needed. I think he'd know how to get Flacco clicking, maybe better than our current coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    I think you underestimate the importance of good coaching and scheme, and the ability of Bellichick to adjust scheme to players when needed. I think he'd know how to get Flacco clicking, maybe better than our current coaching staff.
    Well, if anyone could do it, it would be the Hoodie. I still don't see NE as the most logical fit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Donny, I fully agree with (a), but let's not dismiss (b) the excitement and confidence we had from 2008 through 2012. Perhaps Joe's stats didn't stand-out, but he made enough plays to get us to 5 straight playoffs, was one play from the 2011 Super Bowl, and led us to the 2012 Championship.
    IMO LJ won't start until 2019. The Ravens have to prepare him for the NFL grind, and since we have the 5th year option, Flacco would have to totally fall on his face to have LJ start this upcoming season. I just don't see that... Bc
    You're right BC, that's why I added the FO and the D let him and down and why I continued to defend him. We keep talking about the SB run, but the year before the dude did everything humanly possible to win in NE and would have, should have had just as memorable run if not for 2 incompetent asses not to be mentioned. He was building on some nice skills and showed what he could do with some support, that unfortunately never came. I hope LJ isn't as poorly coached/supported. He was expected to wear a big yellow S on his chest after that contract, many times did, as in NE again, but no one was winning with that D and the recycled receivers.

Some of the conversation has revolved around what we could get in a trade.

I've seen some people talk about Jimmy Garoppolo's deal, but I think the benchmark for a potential Flacco trade should be the Alex Smith deal. He's an average player coming off of a great season, and he's a similar age. Smith netted the Chiefs a 3rd round pick and a quality up and coming cornerback. If, like the scenario says, Flacco has a great season I think we could realistically expect that ransom in a trade.

If Flacco played at a Pro Bowl level for the rest of his career, played until he was 39-40, and won another Super Bowl, I could see him as a candidate. With that many starts his belt, he'd probably be in the top 10 all time in passing yards, TD's, and completions. In addition to having two SB wins -- possible two SB MVP's -- he'd also probably be top five all-time in play-off wins and would blow the road play-off win record out of the water. He'd probably also be top ten all time for regular season wins as well.

Brady wasn't a lock for the GOAT early on in his career, but he's probably made that case by having an out of world finish to his career. If Flacco could grow into a regular Pro Bowl QB with another SB win (which isn't that unreasonable with better weapons and more wisdom as a veteran player) I could see a very attractive resume.

As it stands now, Flacco is a Ring of Honor candidate and U Delaware HOF lock, but nothing more. He'd have to prove a lot more to get to the HOF. Heck, maybe he should try getting to a Pro Bowl first.

If Flacco has us on the doorstep or closer to an AFC Championship Game appearance - through some of the best, if not the best, numbers of his career - he'll be the starter in 2019. If he doesn't, he's gone. I really think it's going to be that simple in the end. We drafted what could be a phenomenal talent, but there are a ton of questions - both the history of such an athlete, and this one in particular - that need to be answered. The only way they get answered is by him seeing the field. The Ravens didn't spend a 1st round pick on a QB for him to ride the bench until the incumbent retires.

Blog Entries

Posters on this board took plenty of shots at Ray Lewis on this board in the last years of his career. No one is above criticism

Blog Entries

Jimmy, I'm not demeaning Flacco's accomplishments by any means, but you must admit we Ravens fans thought (at least I did) that his career after 2012 would flourish and we'd be annual playoff participants... Bc

If you believe that disputing Flacco's credentials as a HOF candidate is taking a shot, then I suppose we differ on what constitutes a "shot".

I don't think anyone disputes that he's been the best Baltimore QB since Bert Jones.
    It's hard not to be the best when:

We had 12 years without a team at all.
    We had Vinny Testaverde - who was good for a year, but the entire team around him was garbage/just getting onto their feet.
    Chris Redman was supposed to be the future.
    Then Kyle Boller.
    And then we finally landed Flacco. He's the best QB since Bert Jones by default.

That's not a knock on Joe - he had an incredible start to his career in playoff success. Then age (Ray, Reed) and injuries (everyone on the roster since 2013 opened) hit this team like a wrecking ball.

Edited for numerical error.
    Last edited by cvilleRaven; 06-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.