Page 1 of 20 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco's Future

Flacco's Future

Hey guys,

With not much to do these days besides speculate, I was thinking about a possible, maybe even likely, scenario where Flacco is traded next offseason and where Lamar enters his first year starting for the Baltimore Ravens. This led me to a fun little thought. What team do you think Flacco would most likely go to? Even after Flacco leaves I'd want to see him have success.

I'd bet on the Broncos. Case Keenum has a history of falling flat after flashing, and Flacco fits Elway's MO. He's a stalwart pocket passer. I think if Flacco has the big year we all hope this year, and Keenum doesn't do super well, we could trade Flacco to Denver for some quality compensation, and I think Joe would be successful there. What teams do you guys think #5 would fit into?

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco's Future

I see 2 possibly outcomes for Flacco if he plays well.

1. Flacco balls out this year, the Ravens make some noise in the playoffs where we know Flacco plays his best and anything can happen. Off-season rolls around and the Ravens decide Lamar isn't ready and Flacco stays with Baltimore through the 2019 season and performs well again before being released/traded in 2020. Lamar takes over in 2020.

2. Flacco balls out this year, the Ravens make some noise in the playoffs where we know anything can happen. Off-season rolls around and the Ravens trade Flacco to another team for draft picks and/or players. This is similar to what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith after drafting Patrick Mahomes. I think there could be a few teams that might be interested in Joe: NY Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars, New Orleans Saints, San Diego Chargers.

I don't think the Ravens would flat out cut Joe if he plays really well this year. I think that would be a mistake.

If Flacco has a "meh" year or downright bad, well then it makes sense to try and trade him, but odds are he'll be released and Lamar will take over in 2019.

In my mind, #2 is the most optimal situation. We get the best Joe Flacco of his career, we get back to the playoffs, the fans get reinvigorated, and we get some decent players/draft picks in return.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think the Buccaneers would be a good place as well. Their QB situation consists of Jameis Winston (can't keep his hands to himself) and Ryan Fitzgerald. I bet just for the fact that Joe is so to himself and not a headcase, the Bucs would love to have him.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Flacco's Future

(a) The "problem" if Flacco takes the Ravens somewhat deep into the playoffs is that I think Harbaugh would want him to continue starting in 2019.
    (b) If Flacco falls on his face, then what would another team give up in a trade anyway?
    I guess some $alary cap relief is all we could hope for... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    (a) The "problem" if Flacco takes the Ravens somewhat deep into the playoffs is that I think Harbaugh would want him to continue starting in 2019.
    Yeah, I assume you put "problem" in quotations because that isn't a problem at all. The Ravens have the rights to Flacco through the 2021 season, so if they got two really good seasons out of him in 2018 and 2019, he would still have trade value and Lamar Jackson would still have three years under his rookie contract, not to mention two seasons of learning at the NFL level and would truly be ready to go. If two deep runs in the playoffs means two years of Flacco, I'm all for it. That would also mean two deep playoff runs followed by a $20M cap savings in 2020 and most likely a highly tradable QB.

Blog Entries

I think Flacco could play very well this year with the new additions on offense and another year in the scheme and hopefully healthier.

What is that ceiling? I don't think it's the 2012 playoff run at this stage. It could be enough to make a playoff run but he's not going to turn into Rodgers or Brees. IMO this is his last year as a Raven although there is potential for one more.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I see 2 possibly outcomes for Flacco if he plays well.

1. Flacco balls out this year, the Ravens make some noise in the playoffs where we know Flacco plays his best and anything can happen. Off-season rolls around and the Ravens decide Lamar isn't ready and Flacco stays with Baltimore through the 2019 season and performs well again before being released/traded in 2020. Lamar takes over in 2020.

2. Flacco balls out this year, the Ravens make some noise in the playoffs where we know anything can happen. Off-season rolls around and the Ravens trade Flacco to another team for draft picks and/or players. This is similar to what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith after drafting Patrick Mahomes. I think there could be a few teams that might be interested in Joe: NY Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars, New Orleans Saints, San Diego Chargers.

I don't think the Ravens would flat out cut Joe if he plays really well this year. I think that would be a mistake.

If Flacco has a "meh" year or downright bad, well then it makes sense to try and trade him, but odds are he'll be released and Lamar will take over in 2019.

In my mind, #2 is the most optimal situation. We get the best Joe Flacco of his career, we get back to the playoffs, the fans get reinvigorated, and we get some decent players/draft picks in return.
    This pretty much how I view the potential outcomes as well, but with one question regarding scenario No. 2:

In a trade, how much of Flacco's nominal $26.5 million cap hit for 2019 would the new team have to take on? Would they expect him to re-negotiate his deal?

Blog Entries

Chargers.

If there was ever an offense custom fit for Joe its Coryell system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redbarron View Post
    I think the Buccaneers would be a good place as well. Their QB situation consists of Jameis Winston (can't keep his hands to himself) and Ryan Fitzgerald. I bet just for the fact that Joe is so to himself and not a headcase, the Bucs would love to have him.
    They're not giving up on their 1st round pick. Not next year.

The only ONLY way I see that happening is if they fire Dirk Koetter and overhaul the staff, which I suppose is possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    This pretty much how I view the potential outcomes as well, but with one question regarding scenario No. 2:

In a trade, how much of Flacco's nominal $26.5 million cap hit for 2019 would the new team have to take on? Would they expect him to re-negotiate his deal?
    I don't think Flacco gets traded without a new deal in place to whatever team he goes to.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post

His base salary in 2019 is 18.5M, do any team he gets traded to would be on the hook for that. Of course if it's a midseason trade they'd only be accountable for how ever many weeks of his salary are left, and they could cut him at any time and incur no further penalty

Blog Entries

Flacco's Future

Flacco is only a name at this point living off his SB run but in the nfl that’s good enough to get a starting gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro