Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT - I'm a published author!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    Congratulations!

It is difficult for Ph's in college to get published from their academic discipline. A university uses it as a criterion for accomplishment and tenure. My college advisor and lead professor, educated at Harvard, was published a couple of times. RIP Doc. Brady. The Harvard logician. A way one can determine another person's intelligence level is by examining his/her simple, clear, direct English.
    My PhD advisor read my dissertation draft and said something like (it's been 50 years), "Good content, but too simple. This is too easy to read. Make it sound more scholarly."
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    My PhD advisor read my dissertation draft and said something like (it's been 50 years), "Good content, but too simple. This is too easy to read. Make it sound more scholarly."

I understand. It seems that all you would have to do is adjust it with different vocabulary or diction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I understand. It seems that all you would have to do is adjust it with different vocabulary or diction.
    I am sure those same type of people would say the same thing about 'the Hobbit'.

I'm not trying to hit back at anyone mind you. I appreciate the honesty. In fact, there are more than likely thousands in if not 10s or 100s of thousands that will hate my book. But it is okay. I didn't make my book for them. I made it for me. I made it for kids like me that grew up with no encouragement for their talents. I made if for every person that had the door slammed in their face at some game company. I made it for us.

If you don't like it, that is cool. No hard feelings. It is beyond difficult to build something beyond yourself and share it with the world. My ultimate goal is to bring on other artists, and writers, collaborators. No it just isn't about me making a world like JK Rowling did, it is closer to making a word where many can make a home and build upon what I started.

Blog Entries

By the way, I released my commercial (YouTube/Facebook/Instagram) today, things are looking up. Anyway, before we go football 24x7 as the dog days of training camp loom and the OT stuff get's shoveled aside, I thought I'd let you guys see it.

So, do you get a percentage, a cut from the publisher, for how many books that are sold? I remember, I had an idea for an invention, but to get a patent and mass produce it, I was getting screwed by Corporate America. This is what they were willing to give me for my original idea, something like 60% for them and 40% for me. I basically told business to go to hell!!!! Now you see why I pay in cash and have one checking account.

America, always stand up to Big Business.

Blog Entries

So, do you get a percentage, a cut from the publisher, for how many books that are sold? I remember, I had an idea for an invention, but to get a patent and mass produce it, I was getting screwed by Corporate America. This is what they were willing to give me for my original idea, something like 60% for them and 40% for me. I basically told business to go to hell!!!! Now you see why I pay in cash and have one checking account.

America, always stand up to Big Business.
    Apple gets a 1/3rd of the cut. I have no problem with that. I used a lot of their tools for free. They are the front end of the store. They got my back. Getting approved by Apple to publish a book is not easy. Amazon, anyone with a crayon can publish. Apple usually takes 24-48 hours to review a book. Amazon can be as little as 2 hours. Mine, due to complexity was three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Apple gets a 1/3rd of the cut. I have no problem with that. I used a lot of their tools for free. They are the front end of the store. They got my back. Getting approved by Apple to publish a book is not easy. Amazon, anyone with a crayon can publish. Apple usually takes 24-48 hours to review a book. Amazon can be as little as 2 hours. Mine, due to complexity was three weeks.

Good job! Rake in the cash, man.

With my assets, I am still looking for a high-interest CD.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: OT - I'm a published author!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    By the way, I released my commercial (YouTube/Facebook/Instagram) today, things are looking up. Anyway, before we go football 24x7 as the dog days of training camp loom and the OT stuff get's shoveled aside, I thought I'd let you guys see it.

Ollie, that was fun. You've got a vivid imagination. I hope you make gazillion$ off this... Bc

Good job! Rake in the cash, man.

With my assets, I am still looking for a high-interest CD.
    I'd check out online only banks. Synchrony was the best last time I opened an account, but that was awhile ago. Check out bankrate.com

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I'd check out online only banks. Synchrony was the best last time I opened an account, but that was awhile ago. Check out bankrate.com

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks. I do a little more research.

Thanks. I do a little more research.
    check out Ally, Sallie, Goldman (marcus)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    check out Ally, Sallie, Goldman (marcus)

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I remember a bank in 2003, 15 years ago, was giving 10% interest on a CD for a minimum of 1 year invested and $1,000. What happened to those days?