Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Immigration issue / facts vs feelings

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    They are like a satellite tower. Build it, we need it, but not in my neighborhood.
    Yep.

Why would anyone oppose legally migrating here? Imagine being someone who is in the process of becoming a US citizen and then 50,000 people who broke the law were given amnesty.

That’s the equivalent of working your ass off for 20 years to accumulate a strong savings account/equity/retirement package and then the US government pardoning Bernie Madoff
    because his “human rights were violated.”

I just watched an immigration special on NBC.

The whole episode was about the plight of these “poor people who are struggling.”

No wonder Trump is the boogeyman. He’s looking out for America, and that’s really really really mean when it comes to people who aren’t American.

I get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I just watched an immigration special on NBC.

The whole episode was about the plight of these “poor people who are struggling.”

No wonder Trump is the boogeyman. He’s looking out for America, and that’s really really really mean when it comes to people who aren’t American.

I get it.
    This country got so used to having a President with no balls that they are now like "Ewwww, what are those hangy down things?"
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Funny how the MSM ignore this little tidbit but Trump is the heartless bad guy.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obam...ry?id=41715661

Funny how the MSM ignore this little tidbit but Trump is the heartless bad guy.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obam...ry?id=41715661
    Yeah, that's a little misleading as the Obama reclassified what getting deported meant. So it included numbers that were not included before.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    isnt america coountry of immigrants unless you are native american?

also the birth rate is at a secular low so either automation takes futures jobs and if not the us will need more workers to replace folks retiring?
    Even if robots take them, ss is basically a government pyramid scheme, so we're still screwed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Even if robots take them, ss is basically a government pyramid scheme, so we're still screwed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    This came out when I was a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgSmdfRUus
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    This came out when I was a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgSmdfRUus
    Cincy - Good song by one hit wonder Zager and Evans. Remember it well. I bought an LP vinyl album from a Baltimore AM radio "rock"station called WCAO many moons ago with a bunch of songs on it including that song. That song is also listed at the Rock N Roll HOF in Cleveland(Cincy may have heard of it) in the one hit wonder artist booth where you could listen to each ong. Funny, I noticed 2 typos in that video, they spell woman, women and nothing is spelled wrong. Robots must be proofreading.

Cincy - Good song by one hit wonder Zager and Evans. Remember it well. I bought an LP vinyl album from a Baltimore AM radio "rock"station called WCAO many moons ago with a bunch of songs on it including that song. That song is also listed at the Rock N Roll HOF in Cleveland(Cincy may have heard of it) in the one hit wonder artist booth where you could listen to each ong. Funny, I noticed 2 typos in that video, they spell woman, women and nothing is spelled wrong. Robots must be proofreading.
    Ah yes ...the warm sound of vinyl. Love the sound of old vinyl. 8-tracks sound great also. Digital has no soul.

Sorry. Geez alert. Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Ah yes ...the warm sound of vinyl. Love the sound of old vinyl. 8-tracks sound great also. Digital has no soul.

Sorry. Geez alert. Carry on

8-tracks were terrible. Occasionally you could hear 2 tracks playing at the same time. I also remember buying a new 8-track album and right in the middle of a song, it switched from 1 track to the next, with a pause in the middle. Quite the technology. They were famous for being eaten inside your player and you'd pull it out in one long strand and you would stick a pencil in the middle of the one side and try and manual wind it up and try and salvage the tape. Sometimes it worked but usually it was trashed. You'd see them laying along roads all the time when people got pissed and tossed them out their car windows with long strands of tape that looked like strands of twisted brown, flat spaghetti. Good times.

8-tracks were terrible. Occasionally you could hear 2 tracks playing at the same time. I also remember buying a new 8-track album and right in the middle of a song, it switched from 1 track to the next, with a pause in the middle. Quite the technology. They were famous for being eaten inside your player and you'd pull it out in one long strand and you would stick a pencil in the middle of the one side and try and manual wind it up and try and salvage the tape. Sometimes it worked but usually it was trashed. You'd see them laying along roads all the time when people got pissed and tossed them out their car windows with long strands of tape that looked like strands of twisted brown, flat spaghetti. Good times.
    True. Never had that experience with my dads player. He had the big console record/8-track player. Always sounded great.

I think that one of the problems with our immigration system is that we're not giving people with no skills or education -- or basically people who don't look great on paper -- a realistic shot of coming here. We stack the deck to rig the system so that only the best and brightest can come here -- which is understandable, we do that for obvious reasons -- but at the end of the day, its hard to tell people with a straight face, "Well you should have waited in line, we'll get to you" when everybody knows that there is no line, and that we're not really concerned with getting to them.

My proposal would be to use merit based system for immigrants from Europe, Asia, Africa, and most of the world (the part of the world where its hard to come here illegally) but to scrap the merit based system, and go to a pure lottery system for Mexico, Central America, and South America. Give more bouncing balls to people who applied properly, and give some -- but fewer balls to people who were sent back. People who came illegally and never left get no bouncing balls. Then set people up with case workers, job coaches, and maybe a little money to get on their feet. This would give people some hope and an incentive to wait in line.

I also think that a stronger Latin America would help our economy immensely. It would also take away the need to come here illegally. I think that taking their best and brightest isn't the best way to grow their nations.