Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Stocks (making my money work for me)

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I agree w/getting into ETF's (exchange traded funds, such as SPDR, etc). Another thing I might look into are dividend paying stocks, such as utilities, etc. They are fairly safe and pay out a dividend to you. Not an expert here. Just know a little and what's worked well for me.
    I signed up for this EFT investing app called betterment, it's basically a simple robo adviser app that does it all for you, as a beginner and not savvy at this whatsoever and after doing hours of research this seem like a good kiddie pool to dip my feet in and just leave some money somewhere and not look at it too often. It seems to be fairly safe, slow churning dividends collecting machine. I'm not a shark to go swimming in the deep end, don't think i''ll ever be just looking for different ways over a period of time to see my money do some work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I signed up for this EFT investing app called betterment, it's basically a simple robo adviser app that does it all for you, as a beginner and not savvy at this whatsoever and after doing hours of research this seem like a good kiddie pool to dip my feet in and just leave some money somewhere and not look at it too often. It seems to be fairly safe, slow churning dividends collecting machine. I'm not a shark to go swimming in the deep end, don't think i''ll ever be just looking for different ways over a period of time to see my money do some work for me.
    Acorns is an interesting app. Basically it is linked to your debit card and let's say you buy a soda for 75 cents, it will round it up to a dollar and take that 25 cents and stash it until it hits a certain dollar figure that you picked and it invest it for you. I used it for a little bit, shit adds up quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

I agree w/getting into ETF's (exchange traded funds, such as SPDR, etc). Another thing I might look into are dividend paying stocks, such as utilities, etc. They are fairly safe and pay out a dividend to you. Not an expert here. Just know a little and what's worked well for me.

I woudlnt recommend utilities as they as they are treated like bonds and with rising rates prices will tank. Which had been happening. Same with reit

If you want commission free trades look at Robin Hood

5. Re: Stocks (making my money work for me)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    It’s Benjamin graham not billy graham
    Preach brother, preach!

6. Re: Stocks (making my money work for me)

Good primer on mutual funds versus ETFs...

https://fool.com/investing/etf/2018/...-and-cons.aspx

Stocktwits is a great app as well for tracking and discussions

“I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

8. Re: Stocks (making my money work for me)

I woudlnt recommend utilities as they as they are treated like bonds and with rising rates prices will tank. Which had been happening. Same with reit
    I do agree about REIT's at this time. Rates are rising, we're seemingly in a real estate bubble. Want to get into them on the way up, not in a bubble or trending downward. Not sure I agree w/the utilities. But just my opinion only. I'm far from being an authority on the subject.

9. Re: Stocks (making my money work for me)

I do agree about REIT's at this time. Rates are rising, we're seemingly in a real estate bubble. Want to get into them on the way up, not in a bubble or trending downward. Not sure I agree w/the utilities. But just my opinion only. I'm far from being an authority on the subject.
    Depends on your investment/retirement horizon. I distinctly remember a conversation with my older brother after the dot-com bubble of the late 90s. He was lamenting how much money he'd "lost" in his retirement account, so I asked him several tongue-in-cheek questions:

1) When did he plan on cashing-out his 401k? If immediately, then I'd agree - he was about to take a terrible loss.
    2) Did he still agree with the fundamentals of his investment options (at the time, broad-based mutual funds, mostly domestic)?
    3) Depending on his answer to #2, was he upset about buying said investments every 2 weeks (automatically deducted, out of his paycheck) for 30-50% less than what he'd been paying prior?

Point is, market timing is tough, possibly impossible over the long-run. As such, even currently "over-valued" investments like REITs can be a part of a long-term plan, so long as the investor is able to absorb/mentally withstand unrealized losses ("on paper") in the short-term.

Some of my former coworkers were all about that app. Is it good?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

Last I used it the prices weren't exactly exact, hard to explain

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

the trades are free but the execution is not as good as the disscount brokers meaning you might not get your order executed at the price you want, might have to pay a few pennies extra.
    if its small trades then it wont be a problem.