Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: OT: World Cup (2018 and 2026)

well considering Italy missed out too (usually my second team due to my paternal heritage)... I'm gonna root for Croatia (have a little Balkan heritage plus I like their uniforms!) and Poland (part Polish as well).

anyone doing any sort of pool/game? I find those things help hold my attention/interest longer...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I've never had much of a connection to the U.S. Men's National Team, because the soccer I came to enjoy was European.

Brazil is the most loaded team, from front to back to the bench. Germany isn't far behind. France is talented, but young and there's a question about where the leadership is going to come from. Argentina will be fine going forward, but they have issues at the back. Spain just has clutch veterans.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The NY Times started a bid tracker for 2026.

2026 Bid Tracker

Morocco over NA? Like are you kidding me
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    What's up Hope Solo's ass?
    From what I've read over the years, she's a petty, troubled and violent woman.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I've never had much of a connection to the U.S. Men's National Team, because the soccer I came to enjoy was European.

Brazil is the most loaded team, from front to back to the bench. Germany isn't far behind. France is talented, but young and there's a question about where the leadership is going to come from. Argentina will be fine going forward, but they have issues at the back. Spain just has clutch veterans.
    Brazil are far from the most loaded team. On paper France Belgium and Germany are all better.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Brazil are far from the most loaded team. On paper France Belgium and Germany are all better.
    Belgium probably has one of the best D groups. Alberwiereld and Vertonghen are great CB's
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Morocco over NA? Like are you kidding me
    There's a heavy influence of politics, whether soccer politics or world politics. And FIFA votes have a long history of bribes. So anything can happen.

Geography is another factor. The African federation will mostly vote for one of their own, and Africa carries basically as many votes as North and South America combined due to the number of countries. Games in Morocco would be on at better times for European countries in similar time zones too.

Of course, the North American bid will make FIFA much more money and we already have the stadium infrastructure in place. But it will also force fans to have to travel longer distances if they want to attend a large number of games.

North America it is.

I'll be dropping major coin for this.

The kid will be at a good traveling age...maybe even playing youth league.

On assumptions...Vancouver, Montreal and the northern Cali location will be (at the least) our destinations. No interest in metropolitan Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

USA/Mexico/Canada won the 2026 bid!! It wasn't close in the end. 134-65 with 1 country voting for "Neither" and some US Territories recusing themselves.

This will possibly be the first World Cup with 48 teams instead of 32. There's a chance 2022 in Qatar will have 48 teams, but that was originally planned for 32 teams. Either way, 2026 will have 48 teams and plenty of games. The 1994 World Cup in the US still holds the record for total attendance, even though that was a 24 team tournament, and per match attendance. For the locals, Baltimore, DC, and Philly are all in the running for host cities. I think there will be something like 10 host cities in the US.

Blog Entries

Enggerrrlllaaaand

FYI you can still get USA world cup skins for Fortnite so all isnt lost
    Burn it down