Page 1 of 55 123 ... LastLast

OT: World Cup (2018 and 2026)

The World Cup is only a week away! Unfortunately the US didn't qualify, but this is an incredible event. I'll be watching as much as I can.

If you know nothing about the World Cup, here's a super quick rundown. There are 32 teams. They are divided into 8 groups of 4. Each group plays round robin (3 points for a win and 1 for a tie). The 2 best teams from each group advance to the 16 team knockout phase, which is a single elimination bracket. No non-European team has ever won a World Cup in Europe (this one is in Russia). Only 8 countries have ever won the World Cup (there have been 20 total), all from Europe and South America. Some of the favorites for 2018 are:
    Germany (current champs, 4 titles)
    Brazil (5 titles)
    Spain (1 title)
    France (1 title)
    Argentina (2 titles)
    Belgium (0 titles)

Who are you pulling for? Who do you think will do well? ...

I'd love to see Messi get a World Cup, so I'll be pulling for Argentina, but I'll enjoy watching most matches as a neutral.

The day before the World Cup kicks off there will be a vote over who will host the 2026 world cup, which will feature an expanded field of 48 teams (the current World Cup final has 32). There's a united bid from US, Mexico, and Canada (but most matches would be in the US). The only other bid is Morocco. Each country in FIFA gets 1 vote except for those that are bidding to host. That's 207 countries. The winner needs 104 votes. North and South America are largely (if not unanimously) expected to vote for the united bid. Most of Africa will vote for Morocco, as will probably most Muslim countries. A number of Western European countries have indicated that they will go for Morocco as well. I have no idea which way it will go.

Re: OT: World Cup (2018 and 2026)

Really sucks the US didn't qualify. I alwasy cheer for them just because they're the closest and my country blows at footy.

I'm super excited. Has there been any word on Sallah? Would love for Egypt to come out and play Spain (possible based on the groupings).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I’d like to see Belgium or argentIna win

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Really sucks the US didn't qualify. I alwasy cheer for them just because they're the closest and my country blows at footy.

I'm super excited. Has there been any word on Sallah? Would love for Egypt to come out and play Spain (possible based on the groupings).
    I read that he'd miss their first match or two. That is a historically weak group, and their first match is against Uruguay, who should run away with the group anyway. I'm thinking Egypt will try to rush Salah back to play Russia in game 2, because that is probably the game that will decide how that group shakes out. I don't know if he'll really be ready that quickly though.

Blog Entries

messi fan, so ill always pull for him. Was interested in seeing what egypt could do with Salah, but that seems like an even more dark horse now. He was absolutely fantastic to watch all season.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I read that he'd miss their first match or two. That is a historically weak group, and their first match is against Uruguay, who should run away with the group anyway. I'm thinking Egypt will try to rush Salah back to play Russia in game 2, because that is probably the game that will decide how that group shakes out. I don't know if he'll really be ready that quickly though.
    Agreed. Unfortunate.

I'm pumped we have a thread. I'm new to the whole following soccer thing. It's amazing what picking up a copy of FIFA can do to help you learn about the players lol.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Eight years from now, the MNT could be the best ever, and having the knock-outs in the U.S. would be great.

Under normal conditions, having a North American hosted cup seems like a slam dunk, but who knows how the other five inhabited continents will vote. I expect many of them are looking forward to giving this country the finger by any means possible.

However the vote shakes out, I'm very much interested in the teenagers on the MNT these days, and not at all missing the "retired" vets from the past 2-3 runs.

Reckon I'm pulling for Belgium, Senegal and Costa Rica (fuq you tho Navas!!).
    I really don't want to see Germany, Brazil or Portugal in the final.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    I’d like to see Belgium or argentIna win
    Antarctica's team is pretty well stocked this year :

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Antarctica's team is pretty well stocked this year :

... Bc
    I hear they are excellent at diving. Almost as good as Spain.

Blog Entries

France looks very strong this year. It's always tough to have a rooting interest for a national team when it's not your own or some sort of family background. I always watch the World Cup but this time my rooting interest will be more about good or interesting teams. France looks very good. Belgium is very interesting. Both those teams I'm going to try and catch when they're on

I've always had a thing for Argentina, but you can never count Germany out and them frenchies look the part. Spain, Portugal and Belgium look like teams to fizzle out around quarters

What's up Hope Solo's ass?
    - Ray Lewis