Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Hayden Hurst better be the next Todd Heap (at minimum) or I might just lose my damn mind...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    ...because I just read this: "One thing that should help there, and I mentioned this on the podcast last week, is that word is first-round Panthers wide receiver DJ Moore already looks like the real deal. Add him to big targets like Greg Olsen and Devin Funchess, slash-types like Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuel, and that Carolina offense should be fun to watch."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/04/nf...mack-contracts

I swear, if Hurst turns out to be nothing special, and Moore turns into a talented, productive WR (or better), I'm going to lose my shit.
    Is this the 2018 version of "The Ravens were stupid to draft Marlon Humphrey while OJ Howard was on the board!!11!!!1!! Howard is going to set the league on fire while Humphrey gets burned deep all year long"?

Seriously though, I'd recommend not falling onto the offseason hype wagon for any player. Perriman has been the second coming whenever he practices in the offseason. More importantly, Hurst was needed here. He's likely the #1 TE already. Moore comes along and is, what, #3 at best without injury, but most likely #4. There will be other WR prospects in the next draft, and the one after that, and the one after that, etc.

Hell, in terms of final year college production, Moore didn't even compare to Williams, Davis, or Ross. And we saw how they started their careers. Moore might be better, but let's just not anoint him or trash a Ravens pick before they step on a preseason field

Blog Entries

Re: Hayden Hurst better be the next Todd Heap (at minimum) or I might just lose my damn mind...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Well, that is the bar. Heap was a top-ten TE in my opinion. Not the best, probably not top 3...but certainly in that upper echelon group. And that is what Hurst MUST be as a first round pick, at minimum. He has to be above average and make a significant impact from day one.

That has been one of the Ravens biggest problems: When not failing spectacularly (Perriman and Elam), the other first rounders have not really lived up to their 1st round billing. The jury is still out on Humphrey. But while Stanley, Mosley and (going back to 2012) Jimmy Smith have had their shining moments, they have also been hurt and or had inconsistent streaks, too. That just doesn't cut it for a first rounder.
    There have been a few TEs selected in the first round that are not killing it in the league by any stretch. Just like other positions, it's a coin flip.

Brandon Pettigrew? Gresham, Eifert, Ebron... What about last year when 3 were taken including the great David Njoku?

The Ravens needed to fix the TE situation and they doubled down and got the best on the board. Plus keep in mind they used some of that collateral to get a QB. Time will tell but I think it will work out.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    There have been a few TEs selected in the first round that are not killing it in the league by any stretch. Just like other positions, it's a coin flip.

Brandon Pettigrew? Gresham, Eifert, Ebron... What about last year when 3 were taken including the great David Njoku?

The Ravens needed to fix the TE situation and they doubled down and got the best on the board. Plus keep in mind they used some of that collateral to get a QB. Time will tell but I think it will work out.
    If Hurst can get near 400 yards and 4 TDs like Njoku did last year I'd be pretty happy. Rookie tight ends usually have it rough.

I don't rate WR/TE till real NFL games.........
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Of course most wanted DJ Moore. And yeah was upset we just kept hoping he keep falling and no pick. I wished he was a raven , but for me happy for DJ to be with Cam and McCaffrey.
    I think Hurst and Andrews going to be something Special. Hurst a good blocker , always important, and pretty much catches everything, also highly important. If he can keep Joe Clean and Convert third downs , I’m happy with the choice they made on draft day.
    TE was definitely a huge need we needed. Got two that can run and catch. Hurst has brought me the joy i once had for an Offense that can convert third downs. I hope the young man along with Andrews gives this Offense hope with Playmakers at TE and WR now.
    Also as much as i love DJ Moore, and will be watch Panthers Offense for him, i like Scott too. And think he will be wr 2 by mid season if Health and work ethic keep him going.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Well, that is the bar. Heap was a top-ten TE in my opinion. Not the best, probably not top 3...but certainly in that upper echelon group. And that is what Hurst MUST be as a first round pick, at minimum. He has to be above average and make a significant impact from day one.

That has been one of the Ravens biggest problems: When not failing spectacularly (Perriman and Elam), the other first rounders have not really lived up to their 1st round billing. The jury is still out on Humphrey. But while Stanley, Mosley and (going back to 2012) Jimmy Smith have had their shining moments, they have also been hurt and or had inconsistent streaks, too. That just doesn't cut it for a first rounder.
    Of course we want all our first rounders to be HoFers like Lewis and Ogden, but if Hurst plays well enough to earn a second contract like Jimmy Smith has, Mosley surely will, and Stanley hopefully should, I'd count him as a successful pick.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If Hurst can get near 400 yards and 4 TDs like Njoku did last year I'd be pretty happy.
    While ALSO serving as a moving chess piece in Roman's blocking schemes. He might spring Collins/Dixon for key first downs and TDs, while pulling down those 400 yds and 4 TDs. If Hurst is a complete player at his position, then his impact will be greater than the fantasy stats show.

yea lets select a JAG wit the #1 pick LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If Hurst can get near 400 yards and 4 TDs like Njoku did last year I'd be pretty happy. Rookie tight ends usually have it rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    Of course we want all our first rounders to be HoFers like Lewis and Ogden, but if Hurst plays well enough to earn a second contract like Jimmy Smith has, Mosley surely will, and Stanley hopefully should, I'd count him as a successful pick.
    While I know where you guys are coming from, and may likely be satisfied with your scenarios as time goes on, I still would have drafted Derwin James when we had the chance. I don't have stars in my eyes, but @ #16, he was IMO that top 10 talent that fell into Ozzie's lap. In times past Oz would have snapped him up, but in 2018 it seems time to trade down (twice!!) and water down our 1st rounder. It's still obviously early, but I'm not happy about this. Keep in mind we still could/would have traded for the pick that got us LJ anyway... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    While I know where you guys are coming from, and may likely be satisfied with your scenarios as time goes on, I still would have drafted Derwin James when we had the chance. I don't have stars in my eyes, but @ #16, he was IMO that top 10 talent that fell into Ozzie's lap. In times past Oz would have snapped him up, but in 2018 it seems time to trade down (twice!!) and water down our 1st rounder. It's still obviously early, but I'm not happy about this. Keep in mind we still could/would have traded for the pick that got us LJ anyway... Bc
    I agree that we may regret passing on Derwin James even more than DJ Moore (and I liked both a lot). But if Hurst earns a second contract, that means he's played at a Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl level for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't think anyone is happy with HH being the first round pick

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I don't think anyone is happy with HH being the first round pick
    I am lol even though as a Terp alum I wanted DJ Moore