Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 8182838485 ... LastLast

Re: The Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I also have no idea how to build a PC or what I’m looking at/what I need lol but it’s cool to look
    It's easier than you think. Everyone should build at least one PC from scratch and install an OS on it at some point in their life.

I personally hate buying the OS myself, lol

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    It's easier than you think. Everyone should build at least one PC from scratch and install an OS on it at some point in their life.

If you guys have any recommendations for parts or whatever, let me know. I’ve been wanting to build one forever, but the price has always scared me compared to consoles.

If you guys have any recommendations for parts or whatever, let me know. I’ve been wanting to build one forever, but the price has always scared me compared to consoles.
    I'm an "IT guy" and I lost track of what's what tech wise and have no feel for what good prices are anymore. I just bought a laptop and that's pretty much all I'll ever own from here on out so I have a decent feel for that market but not really for desktop PC components. I'm sure you can spend as much as you want/have.

For a desktop you to shop certain things for any PC you build:
    Case
    Power Supply
    Motherboard (you can buy an all in one or one with processor or just the board)
    CPU (don't need if you but them as a package but usually if your building a PC and not a mame cabinet or some low end generic computer you get them separate)
    IO/raid card (this is how old I am, I think almost all motherboards probably have that built in now but if you want to do anything fancy with raid arrays you may need that separate.)
    RAM
    Hard drive/drives (compatible with onboard controller or raid card)
    Graphics card (again can be built into mother board. I would imagine there are some decent onboard graphics chipsets but if you are a gamer you are likely buying it separate and paying a lot for this.
    A fan or fans for the CPU and to keep the graphics care cool.

That's really it. If I'm way off or missed anything I'm sure someone will let me know. I have not built one in a long time. I did void the warranty on my NAS a couple months ago by adding 16G of ram which is about 12G more than they say you can and still receive support.

You can just buy here and there when you have the cash and put it together when you have everything.

Some of the stuff people do with lights and cases now is off the hook. It's a whole subculture and has been for at least 15 years. A kid I worked with in 2007 who was a big WOW guy had one of those pulsing LED things, lol.

It's a pricey but kind of a neat hobby. I'm not really a hardware guy though. I think when I paid $600 for 16M of ram back in 1996 right before prices dropped drastically I realized PC's were not a great place to park your money, lol.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it really isn't that difficult, everything pretty much just snaps or clicks into place. The hardest part is cable management and making sure the case airflow is okay, I suck at that. I've been out of the PC building game way too long to give any specific recommendations. But it's not anything that you should be scared/worried about doing, anyone can put a computer together. I did my first one when I was 16.

If you get one down the road I will give you an extra monitor I have for free. I know you live close to me.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Yeah, it really isn't that difficult, everything pretty much just snaps or clicks into place. The hardest part is cable management and making sure the case airflow is okay, I suck at that. I've been out of the PC building game way too long to give any specific recommendations. But it's not anything that you should be scared/worried about doing, anyone can put a computer together. I did my first one when I was 16.

If you get one down the road I will give you an extra monitor I have for free. I know you live close to me.
    Finding drivers and getting everything tight from that perspective can be a challenge too. I remember way back in the day setting dip switches to make sure everything was using it's own "interrupt" lol. Things I think are definitely a easier in many ways now but technology is like stone age to jetsons relatively speaking now.

But yeah, some guys really dig all that cable dressing. I worked for a guy that loved to dress computer cabinets OMG that guy got done and it was like a bomb went off with cable ties and velcro and all kinds of left over/unused fasteners and what not. A nuclear explosion wouldn't affect his cabinets they were so completely locked down. That's not my favorite but I think if you are hardcore all those details get attention.

The crypto miners having been buying up all the gpus for some time now. We hired this lunatic that built his own Ethereum rig about 5 years go. Not a lunatic for doing that, a lunatic because he was just a lunatic. We ended up firing him after a couple months.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 01-20-2022 at 12:00 PM.

They have said they are going to put games from ActiBlizz on Game Pass, no word which yet. This also includes stuff like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

MS holds a lot of power now...if they wanted, Xbox/PC could be the only way to play these IPs going forward. I doubt they take COD away from being multiplatform but who knows? People weren't sure if they'd do that with Elder Scrolls but then they did say that would likely be only on Xbox and PC going forward.

I think what they might do is put stuff like COD, Diablo, etc., on Game Pass, but instead of making it an exclusive, have it as a full price release for people playing on PS5 or Switch.
    Saw an article today where Phil Spencer was talking about being excited to revive some of their old stuff too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nice, that's awesome, welcome to PC master race lol that's a pretty machine there. Add me on Steam when you get it, I'm Anxious Millennial Cowboy with Avril Lavigne as my profile pic.
    Lol. Will do. This one's for her. I had upgraded my cpu and gpu, and she was playing on an omen with a gt930, so suggested we build her one.

Ort where did you buy the stuff to make that I feel like window shopping and dreaming lol
    Microcenter for the ssd and mobo (and cpu in 2019). Newegg for the gpu in 2019. Amazon for the rest because we had rewards certificates.

I got an atta boy last month for some work I've been doing and applied the money to amazon and have two 27 inch curved samsung monitors and a desk mount coming.

I have completely remodeled my office, recessed lights, power in the closet, reframed closet to add lighting and bifold louver doors and am going to put my NAS, wireless router, printer and eventually POE hub in.

The gift card made my out of pocket only around 200 so that's good.

I have just enough room left in my office to add a recliner and I think I'm going to buy a 32 inch monitor mounted on a swivel arm so I can kick back in my recliner with my laptop and pull that out in front of me. My wife picked out a nice area rug too.

I'm also going to put a 42 inch flat screen somewhere so I can watch TV while I work/hang out if I want to.

My office was disgusting prior so I'm excited. Once it's done I just have to resist the urge to junk it up, lol.
    43 inch oled monitor time!

I also have no idea how to build a PC or what I’m looking at/what I need lol but it’s cool to look
    Happy to assist if you want to build one

Yeah unfortunately right now crypto miners are hoarding all the graphics cards which in turn has led to GPU prices being astronomical. Factor in inflation and stuff too. It's hard to even get a budget PC for a reasonable price now, their lowest used to be closer to 6-700, not 1k.
    I was lucky enough to snag an rtx 3070 at microcenter while grabbing a cpu... Then caught best buy on a 3080 drop later, but even then this gen is pricey.

Even moreso if you go amd since all their board partners added the scalper premium to the cards in stores.

Yes! Lucked out on student edition for my pc, but unfortunately aacc stopped their partnership with Microsoft it seems, so my wife couldn't try for another copy.