Page 64 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6263646566 ... LastLast

Re: The Video Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It was interesting to explore expanded areas and characters. Seeing Jessie die hurt me back then and hurts me now. Not sure I could deal with losing anybody else. Thankfully we know that at the end of the game there's a big hug with every one of our teammates joining in the celebrations.
    I purchased FF7 and dorked out prior to it's release by replaying the old version as well. I have to say... I'm not a fan of the Remake. Great graphics... character actors drive me NUTS with all of the "hm.. hm.. grunt... ah!" noises. It literally drove me insane. On top of which, Aeris was portrayed as vapid... not sweet and mysterious. Tifa and Wedge were the only two that didn't come across forced. The rest were truly terrible. The gameplay was "okay" at best. These "deeper dives" into characters? You mean like finding cats? Or children? Or walking all the hell over Sector 7 trying to find keys and treasures?

They added a few great stories and did a LOT to flush out Jessie's character making her death a lot more impactful. I got to the Shinra building for the final assault and basically gave up from annoyance at the character acting. Also... feeling a little ripped off too! So yes... the original... the start of the game was pretty linear... I get that... but how many parts will this game be for FULL PRICE? Don't tell me, "Well it was a full game..." because it wasn't. Did you play GTA 5, Skyrim, Assassins Creeds... those are games where you can get lost for WEEKS in sidequests. This is a 40 hour game WITH exploring all of the nooks and crannies. Maybe 45 tops. Outside of Call of Duty type games... name another decent game that has that few game hours now-a-days for the campaign?
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    I purchased FF7 and dorked out prior to it's release by replaying the old version as well. I have to say... I'm not a fan of the Remake. Great graphics... character actors drive me NUTS with all of the "hm.. hm.. grunt... ah!" noises. It literally drove me insane. On top of which, Aeris was portrayed as vapid... not sweet and mysterious. Tifa and Wedge were the only two that didn't come across forced. The rest were truly terrible. The gameplay was "okay" at best. These "deeper dives" into characters? You mean like finding cats? Or children? Or walking all the hell over Sector 7 trying to find keys and treasures?

They added a few great stories and did a LOT to flush out Jessie's character making her death a lot more impactful. I got to the Shinra building for the final assault and basically gave up from annoyance at the character acting. Also... feeling a little ripped off too! So yes... the original... the start of the game was pretty linear... I get that... but how many parts will this game be for FULL PRICE? Don't tell me, "Well it was a full game..." because it wasn't. Did you play GTA 5, Skyrim, Assassins Creeds... those are games where you can get lost for WEEKS in sidequests. This is a 40 hour game WITH exploring all of the nooks and crannies. Maybe 45 tops. Outside of Call of Duty type games... name another decent game that has that few game hours now-a-days for the campaign?
    Outer Worlds was 30ish with all the quests.

I haven't beaten enough jrpgs recently to give you a great answer, but that genre has 40-50 hours as the sweet spot typically. Open world crpgs are a different beast entirely.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Outer Worlds was 30ish with all the quests.

I haven't beaten enough jrpgs recently to give you a great answer, but that genre has 40-50 hours as the sweet spot typically. Open world crpgs are a different beast entirely.

I'll agree with the "open world" crpgs. Outer Worlds took me longer than 30 man... much longer. I'm a "max out" kind of player though with that stuff.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

Enjoying the Avengers game so far. I’m a big fan of the movies and the opening sequence which you play as a young Kamala Khan was incredible. Played about 2 hours tonight and just got to what was the second mission in the beta. It’s spectacular. I love it and can’t wait to play more.

I just got a ps4 (just in time for it to become obsolete with the ps5 coming out lol) and my life has been consumed by red dead redemption 2. Omg is that game immersive. So addicting.

Picked up the new madden and almost broke my controller several times. That game online is infuriating (doesnt help that im not very good from being out of practice).

Played Days Gone a little bit but haven't picked it back up since i started RDR2. My kids play the spiderman game which seems really fun.

The new WWE game sucks ass.

I'm playing Halflife 2 on Steam right now. How old am I?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I’m old enough to remember playing it on release day back when it was the very first game that required Steam to run lol. I don’t think I left my chair from the start through Ravenholm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    I just got a ps4 (just in time for it to become obsolete with the ps5 coming out lol) and my life has been consumed by red dead redemption 2. Omg is that game immersive. So addicting.

Picked up the new madden and almost broke my controller several times. That game online is infuriating (doesnt help that im not very good from being out of practice).

Played Days Gone a little bit but haven't picked it back up since i started RDR2. My kids play the spiderman game which seems really fun.

I could not get into RDR2 at all, but others here enjoyed it a lot. For me, I just found the gameplay to be very boring. I think I played 6-8 hours of it and eventually just decided I wasn't having fun and never touched it again. I totally get why people do like it though. Production values off the charts as most R* games are.

Days Gone I liked.

Been playing the new Madden on PC, as it's included with my EA Play sub. I've found it to more or less be exactly what Madden has been for several years, for better or worse. I have no interest in playing it realistically or online, I turn all the AI settings and sliders down as low as they go and just constantly put up 70+ point games. I'm about midway through a Ravens season and I have Hollywood at like 2500 yards and 40 TDs. Lamar is around like 85 TDs. For me, that is what I find fun in Madden at this point in my life. Just trying to see how insane I can get the numbers. Playing competitively would just make me mad lol.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

@Ravensforce83 if you want a good wrestling game on PS4, look up Fire Pro Wrestling World. The base roster is entirely NJPW guys, Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Ibushi, and so on. Kenny Omega is probably going to be the only recognizable base roster guy if you aren't into Japanese wrestling.

However, as with all wrestling games, it has a robust CAW mode and you can download other people's creations online easily, so you can add virtually anyone you want from WWE/AEW/TNA/ROH and the game has an absolutely insane move list, so everyone you download usually has their correct moves. I am a big fan of The Butcher from AEW and he's fairly obscure, even within AEW he hasn't been made to be a big deal, but there was a CAW of him out there and the CAW even has his stomp thing he does pre-match as a taunt.

There is a learning curve to it, and the graphic style is much different than the WWE games, but once you get the mechanics down, it's the best wrestling game out there.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    @Ravensforce83 if you want a good wrestling game on PS4, look up Fire Pro Wrestling World. The base roster is entirely NJPW guys, Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Ibushi, and so on. Kenny Omega is probably going to be the only recognizable base roster guy if you aren't into Japanese wrestling.

However, as with all wrestling games, it has a robust CAW mode and you can download other people's creations online easily, so you can add virtually anyone you want from WWE/AEW/TNA/ROH and the game has an absolutely insane move list, so everyone you download usually has their correct moves. I am a big fan of The Butcher from AEW and he's fairly obscure, even within AEW he hasn't been made to be a big deal, but there was a CAW of him out there and the CAW even has his stomp thing he does pre-match as a taunt.

There is a learning curve to it, and the graphic style is much different than the WWE games, but once you get the mechanics down, it's the best wrestling game out there.
    Thanksl Bhc, sound interesting I'll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post

Rdr2 is getting ready to leave game pass, so I need to try it before it does.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I’m old enough to remember playing it on release day back when it was the very first game that required Steam to run lol. I don’t think I left my chair from the start through Ravenholm.
    I remember getting the orange box just for the online stuff that came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Rdr2 is getting ready to leave game pass, so I need to try it before it does.

I remember getting the orange box just for the online stuff that came with it.

What's weird is I don't think i had a machine powerful enough to play Halflife 2 when it came out and never played it. That engine was different. When I was on vacation this summer I played the entire first installment. 20 years ago I played all of the pre HL2 games like blue shift and there was one other one, counterstrike i think. Fun game.

Last Summer I played Age of Empires on Steam. I used to like getting nearly decimated by the AI and then taking a guy with a long range mortar and hiding in some trees and slowly destroying my enemies and making comeback. The AI can be jobbed in Age of Empires. There is something really satisfying about massing an army of cannons and obliterating another civilization. .... I'd say it must be the European in me but the only thing the Irish conquered was the ability to drink, be maudlin and simultaneously over-talk and spitting on each other while drunk.
    Last edited by Moe the Crow; 09-03-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."