Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Should the Ravens cut ties with Breshad Perriman?

Alright, before we go off and say “get rid of him,” it dawned on me that Breshad Perriman can easily have a bounce-back year. Is it likely? I would say no. However, with what the Ravens have invested, time and a 1st round pick, I believe it’s wise to give him one more year. Now, I am by no way a Perriman supporter. A lot of the passes thrown his way last season, I believe should have been caught. Although, each one of those passes was high percentage catches – meaning it’s difficult to catch. I am merely looking at this from a logical point of view.

Benefits if Breshad is kept this season:

• If the stars align, Breshad can become the number 1 or a solid number 2 receiver.
    • He could become trade bait during the preseason if he shows promise again. The Ravens have 5 preseason games. They should be playing Breshad all four quarters in each game.

Risks if Breshad is kept this season:

• He will continue his downward play and never establish himself as a Baltimore Raven.
    • He will cost the team valuable salary cap space (around $1,622,090 if he was cut) for another player at an injured or underperforming position.
    • He may get injured, and given his injury history, the team will be lucky to suit him up to practice consistently.
    • He will push back the development and/or playing time of the other wide receivers.
    • He will likely cost a roster spot at another position.

Breshad Perriman is an intriguing talent. He has the height (6-2, age 24), can run fast (4.29 40), and can jump rather high (36.5 in Vertical Jump).

If Baltimore were to cut or trade Perriman before or after June 1, they would save $1,622,090 in cap space with $1,147,785 in dead money, per SpoTrac.

Is it worth it to cut ties with a 1st round receiver given the following factors:

• Offensive Coordinator revolving door.
    • Lack of Offensive creativity to make easy opportunities to help Wide Receivers gain confidence and make plays.
    • Inconsistent to poor QB play.
    • Inconsistent chemistry with the Joe Flacco due to both players being oft-injured.
    • Inconsistent route running.

Notes to consider:

• The Baltimore Ravens have an abundance of Wide Receivers: Crabtree, Brown, Snead, Moore, Lasley, Scott, White, Perriman
    • According to Fox Sports, during the 2016 season, Perriman had five drops on 66 targets and a catch percentage of 50%.

Do you think Breshad Perriman makes the 53 man roster?
    What routes would benefit Breshad Perriman?
    Does our Offensive Coordinator place him in the best position to succeed?
    I didn’t have time to review the stats, but what would Dez Bryant’s drop rate be in after 66 targets?

Reference articles:
    https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/20...-jordan-lasley

https://ebonybird.com/2018/02/15/mak...shad-perriman/

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/20...ry-free-agency

Re: Should the Ravens cut ties with Breshad Perriman?

I don't even know how to respond to this. Giving bad players too many chances gets some people fired.

OK here's my answer - could he have a good season? Yes, of course, there is a chance. But you say yourself right at the beginning. It's not likely to happen. It's time to give other young WRs that opportunity.

Blog Entries

Dude can't catch a cold.

Holy crap a Captain Silver sighting! How you been?

Blog Entries

I like the detail and organization of the write-up, but you answered your own question. You said that he could easily have a bounce-back season, but acknowledged that it's unlikely. If that's the case, then he can't easily have a bounce-back season. When you say high percentage throws, I think you mean low-percentage throws. They are terms as such, because there is a low-percentage chance they will be caught or can be expected to be caught. Now, the drop stat is something I could understand you wanting to use and you are new to the board, but the various drop stats have been dissected on this board over the years, with the conclusion that they are highly unreliable. To become a solid #2 WR, you need to be consistent. A top WR can get away with a drop here or there, because in the same game he can go off for 8 catches, 140 yards and 2 TDs. That number two guy needs to be reliable. Even if Perriman makes a few plays, he's never going to be reliable.

Now, the offense that the Ravens run does not suit Perriman very well. This offense has some vertical elements, but is better suited for precision catchers. While having one or two options who can get vertical, though it may not be their go-to ability. However, what has hurt him as well is that they haven't had the necessary possession WRs to allow him to do what he does best. As a result, Mornhinweg has spent time trying to use him, and Mike Wallace for that matter, in areas of the fields and on routes that don't suit them. As a means of trying to supplement the lack of possession WRs. I don't agree that most of his targets were low-percentage passes either. There were some, because Flacco struggled with accuracy throughout the season. However, there were some where he didn't do himself any favors. Whether it be not elevating for a pass properly or not running a route properly and ending up in a bad position to try and catch the ball.

I don't think that Perriman will make the team.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I been hoping for BP. I really have. But at this moment, I feel he gonna light up OTAS as he always do. But I’m not gonna keep him and hope. Trade him now. With White , two Draft picks and the three we bought in , no room for him for me. I do hope he get his football confidence back. Just not with us any longer.

He likely to get hurt (hamstring or something) in a Training Camp. Let it go.

Should the Ravens cut ties with Breshad Perriman? Yes.

Also, a wild Captain Silver appeared.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I don't even know how to respond to this. Giving bad players too many chances gets some people fired.

OK here's my answer - could he have a good season? Yes, of course, there is a chance. But you say yourself right at the beginning. It's not likely to happen. It's time to give other young WRs that opportunity.
    That's very true. It'll be interesting to see what the Ravens do in the coming months.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I like the detail and organization of the write-up, but you answered your own question. You said that he could easily have a bounce-back season, but acknowledged that it's unlikely. If that's the case, then he can't easily have a bounce-back season. When you say high percentage throws, I think you mean low-percentage throws. They are terms as such, because there is a low-percentage chance they will be caught or can be expected to be caught. Now, the drop stat is something I could understand you wanting to use and you are new to the board, but the various drop stats have been dissected on this board over the years, with the conclusion that they are highly unreliable. To become a solid #2 WR, you need to be consistent. A top WR can get away with a drop here or there, because in the same game he can go off for 8 catches, 140 yards and 2 TDs. That number two guy needs to be reliable. Even if Perriman makes a few plays, he's never going to be reliable.

Now, the offense that the Ravens run does not suit Perriman very well. This offense has some vertical elements, but is better suited for precision catchers. While having one or two options who can get vertical, though it may not be their go-to ability. However, what has hurt him as well is that they haven't had the necessary possession WRs to allow him to do what he does best. As a result, Mornhinweg has spent time trying to use him, and Mike Wallace for that matter, in areas of the fields and on routes that don't suit them. As a means of trying to supplement the lack of possession WRs. I don't agree that most of his targets were low-percentage passes either. There were some, because Flacco struggled with accuracy throughout the season. However, there were some where he didn't do himself any favors. Whether it be not elevating for a pass properly or not running a route properly and ending up in a bad position to try and catch the ball.

I don't think that Perriman will make the team.
    Thanks Sword. I appreciate your kind words.

Yeah, I personally believe it's time to move on. However, I can see both sides of the equation. I'm wavering back and forth trying to come to a conclusion. I'll feel better if Perriman starts preseason game 1, and if he continues his downward spiral into the deep abyss, I'll be content with cutting him loose. But, do the Ravens keep him into training camp?

I agree that this offense does not suit Perriman very well. That's a very good and deep point that should be exponded on.

Also, I confused the low-percentage catch terminology. Thanks for the catch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Dude can't catch a cold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    I been hoping for BP. I really have. But at this moment, I feel he gonna light up OTAS as he always do. But I’m not gonna keep him and hope. Trade him now. With White , two Draft picks and the three we bought in , no room for him for me. I do hope he get his football confidence back. Just not with us any longer.

He likely to get hurt (hamstring or something) in a Training Camp. Let it go.
    I would rather trade him than release him.

If they keep him, then need to renegotiate something on that bonus.