Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Correa moving back to OLB

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    With the way that Pees used his ILBs, Jack should have been the pick. Now, if they had Jack off of their board, Spence should have been the pick. Character-wise, Correa probably checked out better than Spence and his perceived versatility combined, got him the nod.
    they dont view the draft like this. Its not one over the other when theyre all on the board. They moved back because all of them were still available, not because they preferred one over the others. If they couldnt move back and get better "value", knowing theyd get one of the 3, then they may have taken them in the order they were drafted themselves. When they took KC the others were gone (id even include Ragland in this group). they were ok taking whoever was left, and getting the extra pick, than simply taking the one they liked most of the 4. they were that similarly graded. Its not much different than this years draft. If we stayed at 16, maybe we took james. at 22 if we couldnt trade back, maybe they take moore. they viewed them all similarly enough (except they didnt take james because they wanted to focus on offense), that they simply didnt care who fell to them of the 3-4 guys they had grouped together. from listening afterwards you can put together who was in that group of players, Moore/Hurst/Ridley/Jackson but the order of their preference isnt known because they figured 1 of the 4 and another pick was worth more.
    -JAB

The only thing about Correa's college tape that showed he could translate to Pees' defense was that they actually lined him up at ILB. He was not good at it. His responsibilities were very limited and his lateral quickness was lacking. .
    Yes, people here complained because they didn't let him put his hand in the dirt and come off the edge to go get the quarterback. But that really wasn't his game in college. At BSU they moved him all over the field and he had the ability to split seams an get into the backfield or pursue side to side. He was never a pure edge rusher...a point I argued many times.

But the issue is that if you're going to play him at the Will he needs to be able to also cover receivers, be that crossing routes, tight ends or running backs. I never saw that part of his game being praised coming out of college. He didn't have the reps and it was a lot to learn. What you saw on tape was pretty instinctual. How Pees used him was way more cerebral. I still have hope he can progress if they limit his responsibilities.

The kid Kenny very much is someone who at UCLA showed he could do what they wanted Correa to do from the ILB spot. So we'll see what he does there. And Anthony Levine as a hybrid LB/S, and Bowser is another guy who can cover the middle of the field.

Blog Entries

I don't remember him being moved around a lot. I remember him being moved around, but I don't remember it being to where you never knew where he was going to line up on the next play. From what I remember, he did spend the vast majority of his time on that right edge (facing the offense).
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I don't remember him being moved around a lot. I remember him being moved around, but I don't remember it being to where you never knew where he was going to line up on the next play. From what I remember, he did spend the vast majority of his time on that right edge (facing the offense).
    I recall one game where he often lined up on the right side that was featured for a scouting report on YouTube, but he did move around a fair bit as evidenced by his listed college position at BSU ("Stud") which would have been OLB or LOLB or Sam if he was exclusively lining up on the ORS.

I think the quote had Harbaugh say that they want to move him back to his “natural position”. Frustrating because last year they drafted two more OLBs when they never gave Correa a chance at the spot. Annoying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I think the quote had Harbaugh say that they want to move him back to his “natural position”. Frustrating because last year they drafted two more OLBs when they never gave Correa a chance at the spot. Annoying.
    THIS is what is most frustrating about the situation. Because they didn't even give Correa a real chance on the edge, being too busy trying to put him at ILB more often, they used that to justify drafting two more OLBs when we could have taken a WR.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

THIS is what is most frustrating about the situation. Because they didn't even give Correa a real chance on the edge, being too busy trying to put him at ILB more often, they used that to justify drafting two more OLBs when we could have taken a WR.
    Chris Godwin > Tim Williams / wormley

This is like the last ship in the night. If he's not blowing them, then it will be gone when roster gets dine

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I swear to christ if Correa becomes an impact player at OLB this year, even if it's just as a situational pass rusher, I will drive to Nashville and hunt Dean Pees down to tell him how much he sucks.
    Please post video of this encounter on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Just like we screamed this year to take DJ Moore in Round 1 this year. Let's hope we're not lamenting that in 3 years, but I have a feeling we will be.
    I have a feeling it will take longer. Thor will be fun at TE for a few years, and DJ has some developing to do.

In five years, when DJ is All-Pro and we have to decide whether Hurst will be worth a second contract at age 30, that's when the lament will really kick in. But hopefully we will have had some productive postseasons between now and then, enough so to balance out the regret.

The Zach Orr injury really did trigger a series of unfortunate events.

Blog Entries

It was noted that KC was playing ILB yesterday. Hes still depth at both positions, even if they want him to be more of a OLB hes going to remain an option at ILB. I think his goal is to overtake McCellan to make this roster, which I think he can easily do. thats obviously not the projection you have for a 2nd rounder, but he still has upside to be more that McCellan doesnt offer. So hes looking at 5th Edge or 3rd ILB at best.
    -JAB