Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steve Smith Sr first ballot HOF?

So I've been watching a lot of SSSr highlights, both Ravens and Panthers, and it brought back some heavy emotions for me. Smith was a true baller who could talk shit and back it up. I wish he was a Raven from the get-go as he embodies what it means to "Play Like A Raven."

My question to all you fine people is this: Is Steve Smith Sr a 1st ballot Hall of Famer?

I say yes, easily I might add.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Re: Steve Smith Sr first ballot HOF?

I would say you don't have a very good grasp on recent HOF voting.

Randy Moss is the first WR to make it first ballot since Jerry Rice. Even Marvin Harrison didn't make it first ballot. Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Terrell Owens? No.

Steve Smith Sr. will have to wait.

There's almost no chance he's a first ballot hall of famer. He'll get in at some point, but not on his first try

Blog Entries

Chris Carter and Tim Brown weren't 1st ballot hall of fame players. No shot for Steve Smith. WR is about the worst position you can play outside of kicking and punting to get into the HOF. There is still a huge backlog of guys with great stats because of the rule changes.

Steve Smith is 8th all time in receiving yards, 12th in receptions and tied for 26th in receiving TDs. He should get in but it won't be quick.

Blog Entries

Remember seeing an article about how Sr may have a long wait. Based on the other guys mentioned in this thread, it would seem to be the case.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

SSSr won't be a first ballot, but he'll get in.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

I don’t think first ballot bit second or third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I think it is going to be hard for him. As the league trends more toward passing we are going to see WR stats below through the roof and start to see guys with borderline HOF numbers like Steve pushed down the list of candidates. I think he is one of the guys in the middle of an awkward shift.

What is a HoF number? In my mind, it's performance in the top 5% of your position during your tenure in the league. 40,000 yards passing would have been a good benchmark for HoF numbers up until the 2000s. Now, I'd argue you need a career in excess of 55,000 to be considered (among other factors). No one single stat is the deciding factor, but a range of benchmarks should exist.

Steve Smith was a physically dominant receiver, and also an excellent return man early in his career. 18,000 career combined yards, and 86 combined TDs. Don't know where that stacks up all time, but those are solid top tier numbers.

No way is he a first ballot HoFer though.

Nope.

Isaac Bruce has nearly same amount of receptions but has more yards, more TDs, and a ring and still isn't in the HOF. Let alone 1st ballot. Hines Ward has pretty similar numbers to SSR as well.

The top 3 from the 2000-2010ish era are now in (Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, TO). The next tier of WR from that era may start to trickle in now but I think they're all going to have to wait, definitely won't be 1st ballot.

The next candidate for first ballot WR is probably Larry Fitzgerald. He is 3rd all time in receptions and needs 91 to pass Tony Gonzalez. He is 389 receiving yards behind Terrell Owens for 2nd all time. He's 8th all time in TDs and could get to 6th by the end of the season. He's played every season for the Cardinals - and yes fewer teams looks better for the voters. No baggage. I think he could pull it off.

Isaac Bruce is being unfairly pushed down because of the "greatest show on turf" thing (aka he had so much help). But he was there before the Rams even moved to Saint Louis. He needs more support.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniacx View Post
    So I've been watching a lot of SSSr highlights, both Ravens and Panthers, and it brought back some heavy emotions for me. Smith was a true baller who could talk shit and back it up. I wish he was a Raven from the get-go as he embodies what it means to "Play Like A Raven."

My question to all you fine people is this: Is Steve Smith Sr a 1st ballot Hall of Famer?

I say yes, easily I might add.
    If TO isnt a 1st round HOF SSSr isnt.
    Burn it down