Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Would you want your son playing football?

Depends on where the data eventually falls on CTE. There are plenty of activities that “build character” without risking developing brains to repetitive traumatic injury. If they really want to play it, that can lead to another discussion. If the science ends up being especially damning, then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

My soon to be 8 year old is about to start his second season of flag football. He loves it and it's been great. There were a lot less kids getting hurt than in his soccer league.
    Last edited by GOTA; 05-20-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries

I will probably limit their youth tackle football exposure to a season maybe 2.
    But if they want to play tackle football in highschool I'm going to support them fully.

Blog Entries

When my 15 year old was young about half his class was diagnosed with ADD and were all on Riddilin. 7 years later when my youngest is now that age and barely any kids in his class have the same diagnosis and are being given the same treatment

We are in the infancy when it comes to understanding CTE and head trauma. That doesn't mean you dismiss studies like these but it's very possible that the data could be interpreted in a different want 5 years from now.

As a parent you have to make your own decisions and do what is best for your family.

Every old retired NFL player is not in bad shape. I met Franco Harris for the first time back in 1995. He had been retired for about a decade at that point and looked amazing. Since then he's always seemed fine. He's a big proponent of medical marijuana over opiates. As a RB Franco took a real pounding for a decade but he's an example of how some guys do come out okay

5. Re: Would you want your son playing football?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Trying to find a story I recently read but no luck yet. Paraphrasing; guy was on the Dolphins played Oline I believe, mostly backup and his replacement was drafted last year so he was released. Got himself a van and a shelter dog and planning on living that way, which is why it made the paper. Even this guy was saying he had no cartilage in either knee, bulging disks in his back, both shoulders had issues, etc. Those guys make $$ but no doubt it does damage.
    This may be it, not sure.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-b...-state-journey

Cool blog, too.
    Last edited by blueridgemtnman; 05-20-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When my 15 year old was young about half his class was diagnosed with ADD and were all on Riddilin. 7 years later when my youngest is now that age and barely any kids in his class have the same diagnosis and are being given the same treatment

We are in the infancy when it comes to understanding CTE and head trauma. That doesn't mean you dismiss studies like these but it's very possible that the data could be interpreted in a different want 5 years from now.

As a parent you have to make your own decisions and do what is best for your family.

Every old retired NFL player is not in bad shape. I met Franco Harris for the first time back in 1995. He had been retired for about a decade at that point and looked amazing. Since then he's always seemed fine. He's a big proponent of medical marijuana over opiates. As a RB Franco took a real pounding for a decade but he's an example of how some guys do come out okay
    Right. The sample size for this study are people who voluntarily submitted their bodies to science; i.e., people who were already showing signs of CTE.

I know probably hundreds of people between friends, colleagues, co-workers, who played youth/high school football and none to my knowledge have complained of CTE-like symptoms from their time. Worrying about that is just not high on my list of priorities, especially considering the amount of people that died while I was in high-school doing everyday activities like driving or just crossing the street. A good friend of mine lost a leg just crossing the street because some idiot wasn't paying attention and slammed into him at 40 MPH.

As I said, for the players/ kids who make it to NCAA then the risk to me becomes very real. But every kid also has to do a risk-reward analysis to figure out if the risk of CTE is worth the reward of a free college degree (something that I would probably gladly go back in time and take some brain trauma for. student loans are the worst).
    Last edited by s.r.genovese; 05-20-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    This may be it, not sure.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-b...-state-journey

Cool blog, too.
    That's it, thanks. I got the wrong Florida team.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Lightbulb Re: Would you want your son playing football?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's it, thanks. I got the wrong Florida team.
    Absolutely-if he wanted to be the next Justin Tucker

Blog Entries

I played through college. I def dealt with concussions. And even though I stopped after college, at 35, I definitely feel those years in my knees, shoulders, and ankles.

I’m pretty active, but when I wake up in the morning, some days I have to do some stretching to loosen up.

I loved playing though. Loved every part of it. The concussions were scary and the last one I got was bad. I actually had to wear glasses for about 6 months because my vision was impaired and reading gave me headaches.

I’ve had the convo with my wife a few times. I think my son would love playing because he loves being dirty and he loves wrestling and running around. He’s a big kid for a 5 year old too, so I’d imagine he’ll be similar to me.

We both figure we will let him play if he wants to, but we are going to keep him out of contact football until he’s in high school if possible.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Some kids, especially young boys, need an avenue for physical aggression. That is something that they need to learn how to manage and address with discipline at an early age. Some are wired differently, but some just need it. For stress relief, anger relief, life relief. The reality of the situation is that it's a violent sport, has been a violent sport and always will be a violent sport. Why some fans are suddenly terrified at the scientific findings puzzles me. Grown physically peaking specimens colliding with each other constantly, leading to long-term injuries and brain trauma. SHOCKING. That should have been common fucking sense decades ago. Some kids just need an escape and an avenue for that aggression and if you spend their childhood taking all of those avenues from them, they will find one on their own and you won't like the one they find. Some kids don't need that avenue. If I had a son and he wanted to play, I would make sure he starts early and is in a program that is strict on the fundamentals. The problem you run into teaching them too late is that when they become teenagers is the first time they actually start trying to hone their skills. That's a recipe for reckless collisions.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

No and my son is 100 percentile for size. I would prefer he can throw a fastball left handed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I played through college. I def dealt with concussions. And even though I stopped after college, at 35, I definitely feel those years in my knees, shoulders, and ankles.

I’m pretty active, but when I wake up in the morning, some days I have to do some stretching to loosen up.

I loved playing though. Loved every part of it. The concussions were scary and the last one I got was bad. I actually had to wear glasses for about 6 months because my vision was impaired and reading gave me headaches.

I’ve had the convo with my wife a few times. I think my son would love playing because he loves being dirty and he loves wrestling and running around. He’s a big kid for a 5 year old too, so I’d imagine he’ll be similar to me.

We both figure we will let him play if he wants to, but we are going to keep him out of contact football until he’s in high school if possible.

Where I am it is absolutely possible to play flag until high school. It's all done through NFL Play 60. My son got a reversible Raiders jersey with the exact colors and logos. For little kids that makes it completely legitimate since it is sponsored by the NFL. They also provide a standard set of rules so they can play other towns as well as the 10 teams in our town. The experience has been wonderful. It's also co-ed which is great because the only other football outlet for the girls before this was cheerleading.