Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Would you want your son playing football?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I've thought about this a lot. I'm coaching now and we'll be hopefully having a kid sometime soon so it's been on top of mind in the past few months.

Honestly, my answer right now would be no. I do commend youth programs on doing differnet things to prevent head damage, but it's just how you play the game. It's inevitable. I only played in highschool and along with hockey and box lacrosse I've had 3 concussions. That being said, if my kid makes the decision to play I wouldn't stand in his way because no one stood in my way. I'd educate him on the risks and let him make the final call. IMO that's how you create a responsible person and create mutual resepect.

I'd probably put my kid in hockey in the winter (shocker ) and baseball in the summer along with ju jitsu.
    Oh, you guys have hockey too?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If my son wanted to play football, I would make sure he's educated about the health risks. Both long term and short term risks involved in playing a contact sport. If at the end of that he still wanted to play, I would let him.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    If my son wanted to play football, I would make sure he's educated about the health risks. Both long term and short term risks involved in playing a contact sport. If at the end of that he still wanted to play, I would let him.
    Tl;dr version of my post. Well said Dade my man.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

No.

Maybe flag, I guess.

Blog Entries

My youngest son does play football. I think a kid can get into much worse than football.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    My youngest son does play football. I think a kid can get into much worse than football.
    That's a good point. There can be some damn hard head shots in sports like hockey and lacrosse.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Lol well we can make anything look good by comparing it to something worse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    That's a good point. There can be some damn hard head shots in sports like hockey and lacrosse.
    Corey's point may also be that a young man can get into trouble of other (drugs, crime, etc.) sorts. At least when a boy is playing football, or any other sport for that matter, it may preclude him (or her) from some poor life choices. We know that doesn't always work, but it seems a better way to live a young life... Bc

You learn things playing football that you can't learn anywhere else.

Kids aren't getting CTE from playing pop warner ball for a few years. If he is good enough to play high-school, then there is some risk, admittedly, but the chances of a life-altering injury are still low. I would imagine it is much riskier to give a kid a car at age 16 than to allow them to play football. In all likelihood, the kid will turn 18 and never play football again. The real damage begins when you start playing football with the elite athletes that you find in the NCAA/pros.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Lol well we can make anything look good by comparing it to something worse
    True and you sound like my wife. I think there is an inherent risk in anything a kid does. And I think we subject our kids to things on a daily basis that are more likely to hurt or kill them than playing football. Driving them in a car for example.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    You learn things playing football that you can't learn anywhere else.

Kids aren't getting CTE from playing pop warner ball for a few years. If he is good enough to play high-school, then there is some risk, admittedly, but the chances of a life-altering injury are still low. I would imagine it is much riskier to give a kid a car at age 16 than to allow them to play football. In all likelihood, the kid will turn 18 and never play football again. The real damage begins when you start playing football with the elite athletes that you find in the NCAA/pros.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn....3fplatform=amp

True and you sound like my wife. I think there is an inherent risk in anything a kid does. And I think we subject our kids to things on a daily basis that are more likely to hurt or kill them than playing football. Driving them in a car for example.
    Do we really have a choice there though? Our every day lives require vehicle transportation.

I see your point though. And stop staring at that BITCH in the skinny jeans Corey! You're not as affectionate as you used to be!