Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Would you want your son playing football?

My son is in the 85th percentile in height. We live in Texas now....look at the size difference. After wrestling his whole life he loved football last year, his first year playing at 10yo. Football here in Texas is a right of passage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    My son is in the 85th percentile in height. We live in Texas now....look at the size difference. After wrestling his whole life he loved football last year, his first year playing at 10yo. Football here in Texas is a right of passage.

Good lord, that’s your boy?

Man, if he continues that trajectory he is going to have tons of D1 offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good lord, that’s your boy?

Man, if he continues that trajectory he is going to have tons of D1 offers.

No....that’s my boy wearing #52 holding that monster off.... My boy is big for his age... but here in Texas...Big means something else. That monster was over 6 ft and 180 pounds.....AT 10yo....lol....and my son still wants to play. My boy was the only one who could stop that locomotive. Thanks to his training in wrestling.

Blog Entries

I leave it up to him, we've sat down and watched all studies and documentaries and read all the articles about the dangers of the sport, he still wants to play, the deal is, if he gets more than 3 concussions in his playing time before college we are shutting it down, luckily he hasn't had one yet.

Dude is big, fast and aggressive and this is how he wants to channel his aggression, there is no beta in him, so I allow him to play, he thrives on the grid iron, everything I love about him as a person shows up there.

Blog Entries

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8109815...d8142488071688 this was 6th grade when he first started

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8109815...d8142488071688 this was 6th grade when he first started
    I was hoping he wouldn’t like it.... but he ended up loving it... Middle School football next year. His quickness really showed....here are 2 clips of many...

http://www.hudl.com/v/285Xe7

http://www.hudl.com/v/285YEX

Blog Entries

Yes I 100% would

I have 2 sons & without question, I'd 100% be OK w/them playing football. I'd prefer them to play rugby - take away the helmet & you get more concerned about throwing your face at a runner's knees, but if they opt for football - I'm OK with it. I played football from age 6 (7-8 league & my bday let me play a wee bit early) thru HS & converted to rugby in college b/c while I loved football, my skill set was at best mediocre. My kids are more artsy than athletic, so I don't think they'll play either fb or rugby, but I'd fully support either decision. And....if they end up w/a concussion, we'd evaluate & probably take a season off, if not pull the plug. Support, but with a "pull the ripcord" Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Cool-x, this is a great question, especially suited for today. I don't have a son (if I did he would already be too old for sports), so mine is a moot point. I think that as long as their are athletic children who may not be academically inclined (I'm being kind), there will be those drawn to football. Those hundreds/thousands recruited annually to colleges where they would never stand a chance of attending. Those colleges and universities that rake in million$ to keep not only sports, but classes continuing. Add to it our (the fans) insatiable appetite in the Fall and Winter, and I'd find it hard to believe football will ever be eliminated from American sports culture. I find it ironic that the media always seems to be finding another story to erode it, but if Pro Football ever dies many of them will be out of jobs. There are reasons that Pro Soccer never really caught on here, even though it has been somewhat shoved down our children's throats... Americans love football! ... Bc
    Agree BC

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I ask this because this is what I've always wanted out of my son but lately have been questioning how wise this would actually be. Most notably after what happened to Ryan Shazier.. but also the growing number of CTE being discovered in ex NFL players.

You have to wonder if guys like Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, and Brett Favre who have played in well over 800 games between the three of them would even be able to play in as many games to accumulate the career #s that they have if they were in todays NFL.

Nowadays, it's becoming more unheard of for players to play in that many games especially if you're a running back.

Hell I used to think Joe was gonna break Favres streak! Then tore his ACL/MCL.. and now that streak by Favre looks like it'll be forever untouched.
    High school he is old enough to make a decision on his own.

I think the danger is having kids start so early...it becomes part of their identity before they can have an intelligent conversation about the risks
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

The flip side is that if he's just learning the basic fundamentals of tackle football with pads, at the high school level, it's going to be a great struggle for him to make a team depending on what school he goes to. I don't see how a coach would even feel comfortable putting him in a game, if we were to go by these growing concerns, if he doesn't even know how to tackle. That's not something you learn to muscle memory in one late summer of two-a-days. Also, what if he wants to play professionally? Now, it's become even harder for him, because he's behind the curve. If he's just learning how to tackle for the first time, as a freshman in high school, that has its own dangers. Now, their bodies are far more developed than when they are younger. At a younger age, they are far more closely monitored. At the high school level, they don't have time for all that. Two 14 years old colliding, who don't know what they're doing. That's not good.

Now, I must say that while this is coming from experience to a degree, I don't have children. I know that I couldn't possibly understand how different a ball game it is when it's your own child. I didn't start playing football until high school and what I described is what happened. My body was ready for it. I wasn't psychologically ready for being in pads (I actually preferred being hit without pads on where I had my full range of motion), nor was I ready for what it took to get ready for a season. I got little to no playing time on the JV squad that year. I was miserable. However, again, I don't have kids.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I mean, if you're going to say that I'm disqualified from the conversation, because I don't have kids than that's fair game. I'll just whither away here. I'm just throwing out scenarios and so forth. For example, what happens if the best high school for him to go to academically, doesn't have a very good football program, doesn't have a reputable football coach. He's not even guaranteed to get the proper coaching by that point.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore