Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Would you want your son playing football?

I ask this because this is what I've always wanted out of my son but lately have been questioning how wise this would actually be. Most notably after what happened to Ryan Shazier.. but also the growing number of CTE being discovered in ex NFL players.

You have to wonder if guys like Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, and Brett Favre who have played in well over 800 games between the three of them would even be able to play in as many games to accumulate the career #s that they have if they were in todays NFL.

Nowadays, it's becoming more unheard of for players to play in that many games especially if you're a running back.

Hell I used to think Joe was gonna break Favres streak! Then tore his ACL/MCL.. and now that streak by Favre looks like it'll be forever untouched.

Re: Would you want your son playing football?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    No.
    Much more about the brain injuries than physical.

Much more about the brain injuries than physical.
    Both for me. It's a shame. I truly wonder if tackle football will still exist in about 60 years

I think tackle football shouldn’t start till around age 11-12? Before that just teach fundamentals and play flag football.
    As far as injuries go..kids are just as likely to get hurt playing soccer and lacrosse as football. Need to find programs that coach safely when your kids are younger. It’s not about winning when your 7-10 yrs old. Learn the game , play safe and the wins will come later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Both for me. It's a shame. I truly wonder if tackle football will still exist in about 60 years
    Both, really? We've known about the physical toll this game can put on a person for decades. One of my first memories is Joe Theismans knee.

We haven't been discussing not letting kids play on football boards till the brain injury info started coming out.

Both, really? We've known about the physical toll this game can put on a person for decades. One of my first memories is Joe Theismans knee.

We haven't been discussing not letting kids play on football boards till the brain injury info started coming out.
    Theisman’s leg is still one of the nastiest things I’ve seen on tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's Shaziers injury that's doing it for me now.

Blog Entries

Trying to find a story I recently read but no luck yet. Paraphrasing; guy was on the Dolphins played Oline I believe, mostly backup and his replacement was drafted last year so he was released. Got himself a van and a shelter dog and planning on living that way, which is why it made the paper. Even this guy was saying he had no cartilage in either knee, bulging disks in his back, both shoulders had issues, etc. Those guys make $$ but no doubt it does damage.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Cool-x, this is a great question, especially suited for today. I don't have a son (if I did he would already be too old for sports), so mine is a moot point. I think that as long as their are athletic children who may not be academically inclined (I'm being kind), there will be those drawn to football. Those hundreds/thousands recruited annually to colleges where they would never stand a chance of attending. Those colleges and universities that rake in million$ to keep not only sports, but classes continuing. Add to it our (the fans) insatiable appetite in the Fall and Winter, and I'd find it hard to believe football will ever be eliminated from American sports culture. I find it ironic that the media always seems to be finding another story to erode it, but if Pro Football ever dies many of them will be out of jobs. There are reasons that Pro Soccer never really caught on here, even though it has been somewhat shoved down our children's throats... Americans love football! ... Bc

I've thought about this a lot. I'm coaching now and we'll be hopefully having a kid sometime soon so it's been on top of mind in the past few months.

Honestly, my answer right now would be no. I do commend youth programs on doing differnet things to prevent head damage, but it's just how you play the game. It's inevitable. I only played in highschool and along with hockey and box lacrosse I've had 3 concussions. That being said, if my kid makes the decision to play I wouldn't stand in his way because no one stood in my way. I'd educate him on the risks and let him make the final call. IMO that's how you create a responsible person and create mutual resepect.

I'd probably put my kid in hockey in the winter (shocker ) and baseball in the summer along with ju jitsu.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Cool-x, this is a great question, especially suited for today. I don't have a son (if I did he would already be too old for sports), so mine is a moot point. I think that as long as their are athletic children who may not be academically inclined (I'm being kind), there will be those drawn to football. Those hundreds/thousands recruited annually to colleges where they would never stand a chance of attending. Those colleges and universities that rake in million$ to keep not only sports, but classes continuing. Add to it our (the fans) insatiable appetite in the Fall and Winter, and I'd find it hard to believe football will ever be eliminated from American sports culture. I find it ironic that the media always seems to be finding another story to erode it, but if Pro Football ever dies many of them will be out of jobs. There are reasons that Pro Soccer never really caught on here, even though it has been somewhat shoved down our children's throats... Americans love football! ... Bc
    Soccer is like most sports. Fun to play, not so fun to watch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk