Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Shooting at Santa Fe High School

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Typo??
    Nope. How many mass shootings have their been since Columbine in your opinion? I know there have been 22 school shootings just this year. That's just schools and we're not even through 5 months. Columbine was 19 years ago. Over a 1000 mass shootings sounds right to me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Nope. How many mass shootings have their been since Columbine in your opinion? I know there have been 22 school shootings just this year. That's just schools and we're not even through 5 months. Columbine was 19 years ago. Over a 1000 mass shootings sounds right to me
    Well since the thread is about school shootings I thought that's what you're talking about.

The number is around 200.

Blog Entries

Also depends on how you define mass shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I know there have been 22 school shootings just this year.
    Just for clarity...

That "school shootings" statistic isn't entirely accurate. Almost all of them are "guns being fired in close proximity of a school or on school property" and aren't in the same ballpark as the Parkland incident or this Sante Fe incident.

Prior to the Parkland tragedy...there were 17 incidents of guns being fired in close proximity of a school or on school property.

Twice, someone shot themselves on school grounds; one incident, on January 3, featured a man shooting himself in a former school’s parking lot; on January 10 a teen killed himself in an Arizona elementary school bathroom.

Four times, a bullet was fired through a school or dorm’s window: on January 4, a gunshot was fired at a high school in Seattle through an office window; no one was hurt. On January 10, a shot was fired shattering a California State University classroom window. No injuries were reported. The same day, in Texas, a bullet was accidentally fired through a classroom wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center. No one was injured. On January 15, a bullet traveled through a residential hall’s dorm room. No injuries were reported.

On January 25, a Mobile, Alabama, high school student fired a gun on campus. No one was injured. On January 26, in Dearborn, Michigan, shots were fired from a car in a parking lot; no injuries were reported.

On February 5, in Maplewood, Minnesota, a third-grader pulled the trigger on a cop's gun. No one was injured. On February 8, in New York, a shot was fired inside Metropolitan High School. No one was injured.

Here are the cases where someone was actually injured other than the shooter:
    January 22, Italy, Texas: a teenage girl was wounded by shots from a semi-automatic handgun. The same day, in Gentilly, Louisiana, a 14-year-old boy was injured in a shooting. February 1, Los Angeles, California: five children were injured in an accidental shooting. February 5, Maryland: a teenager was shot and injured outside of a high school.

The fatalities:
    January 20, Winston-Salem, North Carolina: A football player was shot and killed. January 23, Benton, Kentucky: Two people were killed and another 15 were shot at Marshall County High School. January 31, a fight broke out at a Pennsylvania high school; a 32-year-old man was shot and later died.

So of the 17 “school shootings” before Parkland; three students died; roughly 30-35 were injured.

Those numbers are still more than zero, which is what we would all hope for, but the efforts to paint these incidents as another in a series of mass school shootings compressed so closely in time is simply not an accurate reflection of reality.

So, to point out that there have been 22 school shootings this year isn't really a factual statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    neither do I.

He's still a dumbass being used by the press as a political pawn.

He will have made a statement or given an interview on CNN by COB today.
    “Get ready for two weeks of media coverage of politicians acting like they give a s*** when in reality they just want to boost their approval ratings before midterms,” he wrote.

There ya go, per NewsWeek

Blog Entries

How bout this...

Forget the numbers. 1 is too many. Let's friggin do something about it.

1 armed guard, or cop for every x number of students. And make sure they move through out the day. The kid in Parkland new where the cop would be and planned accordingly.

How bout this...

1 armed guard, or cop for every x number of students. And make sure they move through out the day. The kid in Parkland new where the cop would be and planned accordingly.

How bout this...

How many veterans could use this job and be proud to do it? The only thing that really matters is improving safety, but an economical stand point of the extra jobs is nothing short of a positive

How bout this...

Here's another: Let's not plaster this person's name and life-story all over the news media like he is some sort of villain in an Avengers movie. I do believe there is a copy-cat element at work here. I understand that the public has a "need to know" and everyone wants to know "why" to put some sense to this. But that instant world-wide publicity (becoming infamous if not famous) may also be a factor. Not the only factor or even the most significant factor, but I do think it plays into the the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    How many veterans could use this job and be proud to do it? The only thing that really matters is improving safety, but an economical stand point of the extra jobs is nothing short of a positive
    usmcharles, all common sense shit...

politicians will fight that tooth and nail and use this incident as a political football like they do everytime a tragedy happens.

People keep wondering "why does this keep happening?" The answer is..."because the people who have the power to fix it...won't."

Andrew Pollack should be front and center out in the open to push the narrative in the direction of "protecting our children" and not..."banning guns" which is where this discussion will ultimately lead.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Here's another: Let's not plaster this person's name and life-story all over the news media like he is some sort of villain in an Avengers movie. I do believe there is a copy-cat element at work here. I understand that the public has a "need to know" and everyone wants to know "why" to put some sense to this. But that instant publicity (becoming infamous if not famous) may also be a factor. Not the only factor or even the most significant factor, but I do think it plays into the the whole thing.

How bout this...

I get what youre saying... but where is the extra money going to come from. As has been noted, there was a police officer on duty at Parkland and it was fairly useless, so I guess there would need to be more than one armed guard/officer per school. Let say two per school is the magic number, though some larger schools may need more than that.

Just talking about K-12, there are over 130,000 schools in the US (About 99,000 public, lets say 100,000 for ease of calculations)

That is an additional 200,000 officers that would be needed.

At the moment, there are approximately 765,000 police officers in the US, we would be (trying to) increasing the force by 20%.

We cant even get qualified officers as it is, the people that would be put in the schools would most likely be more than useless. Similar to the guy who ran away from Parkland.

Once again, I get what you are saying and wish I could agree, but its just not that easy.