Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Shooting at Santa Fe High School

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Two are used at hers as well, but the locked ones are not all alarmed. Gym, kitchen. Probably same at yours.
    Probably. I know some of the ones that aren't primary entrances are in fenced in areas, but we're taking like an easily jump able chain link fence.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    True. But I believe the DoDs mission statement is to protect this country. So securing our schools falls under that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Military personnel swear an oath to protect this country from all enemies both foreign and domestic. While it shouldn’t be the DoDs sole job , they can share it with an agency like Homeland. That’s where the using Vets comes in. Already trained , most are very proficient with firearms , and a lot need jobs. DoD supplies the manpower ...Homeland supplies the funds.

The military is not a police force and shouldn't be used as such.

Using veterans to fill those jobs could work. But leave the DOD out of it.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    The military is not a police force and shouldn't be used as such.

Using veterans to fill those jobs could work. But leave the DOD out of it.
    I would agree. I think this is something that should be handled by local police departments.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Maybe we need more counselors in school to point this out before it comes to gunfire
    So we can’t afford vets who are already trained, but we can afford a counselor or two who are specifically trained to look for kids about to go postal/suicidal?

That sounds less likely than an armed guard or two.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would agree. I think this is something that should be handled by local police departments.

Local PD doesn’t have the funding for these jobs. Local government doesn’t either. I’m not suggesting have Army Rangers guarding schools with tanks and MP4s. The DoD reference was to use Vets and maybe work with several GoV agencies. The VA. Homeland. The DOD is where I’d suggest getting the funding since Trump just have them 100Bill raise.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So we can’t afford vets who are already trained, but we can afford a counselor or two who are specifically trained to look for kids about to go postal/suicidal?

No, we can't afford any of it. And nothing is going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

Add to it, I'm not sure what councelors could do - even if they identified someone about to go postal/suicidal. Our society doesn't allow for any kind of preventative measures with regards to human actions. Only after they do something can we identify them as a threat. Otherwise, it's a violation of their rights.

If you think the government wants threats to the safety of students taken out of schools, you're sadly mistaken. First of all, they believe every student has a right to an education, no matter what they do in or out of school. I've seen it a number of times where someone (who dropped out of school) commits a felony and the first thing their lawyer tells them is to re-enroll in school, so the judge will not send them to jail. Secondly, they want the criminals in school so they aren't out on the streets committing crimes during the day. Thirdly, the government feels that education is the key to thwarting criminal behavior. With this in mind, they will keep even violent offenders in the schools. The worst part is that due to privacy acts, teachers, administrators, & maybe even councelors have no idea who is in the classrooms. The ankle-bracelets give you an idea that they did something pretty serious, but few, if any, know what they did.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Add to it, I'm not sure what councelors could do - even if they identified someone about to go postal/suicidal. Our society doesn't allow for any kind of preventative measures with regards to human actions. Only after they do something can we identify them as a threat. Otherwise, it's a violation of their rights.

If you think the government wants threats to the safety of students taken out of schools, you're sadly mistaken. First of all, they believe every student has a right to an education, no matter what they do in or out of school. I've seen it a number of times where someone (who dropped out of school) commits a felony and the first thing their lawyer tells them is to re-enroll in school, so the judge will not send them to jail. Secondly, they want the criminals in school so they aren't out on the streets committing crimes during the day. Thirdly, the government feels that education is the key to thwarting criminal behavior. With this in mind, they will keep even violent offenders in the schools. The worst part is that due to privacy acts, teachers, administrators, & maybe even councelors have no idea who is in the classrooms. The ankle-bracelets give you an idea that they did something pretty serious, but few, if any, know what they did.

We're not hearing about these hardened criminals shooting up schools, yeah they're playing the system but no one is dead over it.

We're talking about mentally ill children.

I understand that, but my point was that even if they are identified, little can be done about it,
    We're not hearing about these hardened criminals shooting up schools, yeah they're playing the system but no one is dead over it.

We're talking about mentally ill children.

I understand that, but my point was that even if they are identified, little can be done about it,

Then I believe this is our biggest problem and what needs to be focused on.

Then I believe this is our biggest problem and what needs to be focused on.
    Agreed

Blog Entries

I agree with this. As Wicked mentioned earlier, the father needs to be held responsible for not securing his guns. Not only this, but like most other school shootings, the signs were there. He was wearing a born to kill T shirt on facebook. Parents need to monitor what the hell their kids are up to and not depend on outside counselors to babysit their kids. These parents sound pretty clueless about their son. They referred to him as a "smart, quiet, sweet boy". Many beg to differ. Here is the family"s statement.

https://www.statesman.com/news/local...5364SPFQ4ocvJ/

According to this article, a classmate continued to reject his advances, and then embarrassed him in front of the class, possibly setting him off.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/20/victim...rejecting-him/