Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CJ Mosley vs. Earl Thomas

Purely fun and hypothetical question and I am not anti-CJ at all, but if CJ Mosley is going to cost the Ravens something like $12.5 - 13.5 / season and Earl Thomas (6 time pro-bowl safety who is still pretty young) stays in the neighborhood of his projected 13.5 if he re-signs somewhere next year, wouldn't Thomas (again, hypothetically) "complete" the Ravens defense more than Mosley?

The Seahawks DVOA against the pass with fifth in the league in weeks 1-11 last year (when Thomas was playing) and fell to 30th the rest of the year when he was out. He is -- and it isn't even close -- the best cover safety in the league and can really lock down a lot of players and he is a much better open field tackler than Weddle (who is going to be on his way out anyway). While he's not the center fielder that Ed Reed was (who is), imagine the Ravens secondary with Tavon Young, Marlon and our other fast young corners if Thomas were here.

I also think Thomas has plenty of tread left on the tires. Compared to say, Rod Woodson when the Ravens signed him, I'd venture a guess that Thomas is three years younger in career longevity terms.

Now CJ is great and he's a three down player coming into his prime years, it's just that his contributions on 3rd downs aren't as good as his contributions on 1st and 2nd down. Couldn't we backfill his position with more of a thumper at Mike and sub out on third downs at a markedly lower cost.

There's no doubt our defense is worse off without Mosley than with him, but I have this sinking feeling that at $13M / year, we are going to hit diminishing returns in terms of his being able to perform up to his contract level and we should consider grabbing a more dynamic player after the great salary purge of 2019 (oh yes, it's coming) occurs.

Re: CJ Mosley vs. Earl Thomas

Lol the value of Earl Thomas is significantly greater than that of Mosleys.. I'd be all for that swap.

Well, if anyone believes the numbers being bandied about, their eventual contracts will probably be less than $1.5M apart / year.

I realize I'm kind of replying to my own post (hey, it's a slow night), but as someone who has watched a lot of Seahawks football, I think it can also be said that Earl Thomas has never been asked to go free range the way Ed Reed did, so we don't really know whether he may be capable of some center field play beyond what he's done before.

Also, fwiw, total turnovers / game career average (FF + INT):

Ed Reed - 0.437
    Brian Dawkins - 0.330
    Troy Polamalu - 0.291
    Earl Thomas - 0.304 (3rd place)

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Lol the value of Earl Thomas is significantly greater than that of Mosleys.. I'd be all for that swap.
    Earl Thomas and Kam chancellor were the real strength of the seahawks secondary. Of course a great pass rush only sending 4 was huge, but Thomas and Kam literally let sherman and their other CBs sit in easy to play cover 2 and 3 with literally no fear, and could just sit on routes and read the QB

Earl thomas is one of the most underrated players of his time
    Burn it down

Over a 5+ year tenure? Probably Mosley because he's 3 years younger.

For just 2018? Earl Thomas without a doubt. He's the better overall player. He sets the tone on defense. Mosley does his job well, but he doesn't set the tone for our defense.

Blog Entries

Thomas is going to make bank. He’s looking at $80M with $40 guaranteed

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ravens should take notice that the Seahawks do not want to pay Earl Thomas and he has been way better than Moseley.

This is not even close

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Ravens should take notice that the Seahawks do not want to pay Earl Thomas and he has been way better than Moseley.
    Yep.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Im with y'all, but it ain't happenin.

CJ is "our guy".

Bump

Yo, well done