Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Suggs throws Pees under the bus

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Only Rex. I don't remember them ever caring about a coach on offense or defense leaving besides Rex. Rex and the late great Clarence Brooks were the only Ravens coaches who really connected with the players.
    So true... It certainly wasn't Jim Fassel. True story -- I met Jim Fassel's mother at a tailgate at the old Candlestick park parking lot before a Ravens / 49ers game in 2007 even she didn't seem enthusiastic about her son's coaching. She basically confessed how social obligations had trapped her into attending the games...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Fine insight. I would add that Harbaugh values his mental "coach's game" to a stupid extent, i.e. we make one first down, stall out between the 40 and 50 and Koch leads the league in punting inside the opponent's 20, we've-got-them-just-where-we-want-them attitude. Every year br.com proudly trumpets how many times Koch did that, as though that were something to be proud of. Huber, the punter for the league's worst offense (Cincy), was right up there with him.

Belichick would never think this. He wants stars who will put up points and march down the field and win TOP, so that his defense is fresh and ready for the despairing opponent to come back at them.

Harbaugh was happy enough to have an aging Steve Smith. But he doesn't want vibrant young stars who will win the game without Harbaugh's chess game being in the forefront. 17-13 is what Harbaugh wants.
    When I observe the Ravens, I too get the sense that John Harbaugh wants to be 'thee' reason why the team wins. Now, I don't think there's a player or coach who doesn't want to be that guy, even though they'll gladly take winning, no matter who the main reason is. However, when I listen to Harbaugh and watch the way he manages games, he lets it get the better of him. I believe it was Dominique Foxworth who complemented Harbaugh for understanding that he's not the smartest guy in the room and being able to listen to other opinions. However, I think that as he gained more clout and tenure, he became the guy who HAD to be the smartest guy in the room.

There are some people who have said that the coaching staff limit Joe Flacco, because he is very limited in what he can do. What is the excuse for the defense? There is talent and veteran experience all over that defense. There should never be a point where a future Hall of Fame candidate is even uttering the words "Shackles" and "Handcuffs". I think that players on both sides of the ball have suffered for this. You're not going to convince me that a Super Bowl MVP can't read defenses, or that a Terrell Suggs can't diagnose plays.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When I observe the Ravens, I too get the sense that John Harbaugh wants to be 'thee' reason why the team wins. Now, I don't think there's a player or coach who doesn't want to be that guy, even though they'll gladly take winning, no matter who the main reason is. However, when I listen to Harbaugh and watch the way he manages games, he lets it get the better of him. I believe it was Dominique Foxworth who complemented Harbaugh for understanding that he's not the smartest guy in the room and being able to listen to other opinions. However, I think that as he gained more clout and tenure, he became the guy who HAD to be the smartest guy in the room.

There are some people who have said that the coaching staff limit Joe Flacco, because he is very limited in what he can do. What is the excuse for the defense? There is talent and veteran experience all over that defense. There should never be a point where a future Hall of Fame candidate is even uttering the words "Shackles" and "Handcuffs". I think that players on both sides of the ball have suffered for this. You're not going to convince me that a Super Bowl MVP can't read defenses, or that a Terrell Suggs can't diagnose plays.
    I agree with your points. Maybe there's a lack of trust between the coaching staff (or Head Coach) and the players. Maybe the subtle clues from Flacco and Suggs that both sides of the ball are being "shackled" are true. I did see "handcuffs" applied to the offense the first half of last season (which was most likely due to Flacco's back injury). It's worth noting, Flacco repeatedly told reports he was "fine" during the first half of the season. Maybe by "shackles" and "handcuffs", Suggs is stating you cannot audible out of an original play call. These are all very important "maybe's"to consider (haha). This means no matter what talent you bring in on both sides of the ball, they will be shackled to what the coaches from the sidelines call.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Since I'm a crusty out of the loop old man can someone clue me in as to what this stands for?
    Fixed that for you. At least that’s what urban dictionary says

Only Rex. I don't remember them ever caring about a coach on offense or defense leaving besides Rex. Rex and the late great Clarence Brooks were the only Ravens coaches who really connected with the players.
    Chuck Pagano was pretty popular too.

Blog Entries

And chuck

Pees was great on 1st and 2nd downs - 3rd downs the opposition owned us.

Blog Entries

This was his full statement

“One, it’s his intelligence. He has a very high football IQ,” Suggs said of Martindale. “I’m very excited because of how he coaches. He’s taken the handcuffs off the guys. Sometimes a player can be shackled just by the rules that come with [playing] the defense. But I think Wink is just going to allow us to go make plays. Just be that fast-moving defense that this city and our fans love. That’s why I’m very excited for the season. It’s going to be fun, especially with this personnel that we have.”

To me that is actually pretty telling. You don't even have to read between the lines what he's trying to say.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And chuck
    Harbaugh seemed more emotional about Pagano than any player. The only one I remember discussing Chuck was Chris Carr. Chuck had coached Carr in Oakland and really pushed for the Ravens to sign him. There was a real connection with those two

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This was his full statement

“One, it’s his intelligence. He has a very high football IQ,” Suggs said of Martindale. “I’m very excited because of how he coaches. He’s taken the handcuffs off the guys. Sometimes a player can be shackled just by the rules that come with [playing] the defense. But I think Wink is just going to allow us to go make plays. Just be that fast-moving defense that this city and our fans love. That’s why I’m very excited for the season. It’s going to be fun, especially with this personnel that we have.”

To me that is actually pretty telling. You don't even have to read between the lines what he's trying to say.
    Damn, yeah that isn't exactly subtle. This makes me kind of excited.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    And backs over him.

On a call with the PSL holders, the caller asked about the defense failing to make a crucial play to get to the playoffs the last couple years. What would they do differently?

Suggs’ answer: “we are going to have guys in the right position.” He has repeatedly that a few times, and is obviously very excited about Wink as DC.
    Late to the thread — this may already have been posted, but I don't want to miss it. Suggs also said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Terrell Suggs
    On why he’s excited about new Defensive Coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale:

“He’s taking the handcuffs off the guys. Sometimes a player can be shackled just by the rules and confines of the defense. I think Wink is going to allow us to go make plays and be the fast-moving defense that this city and the fans love. That’s why I’m very excited for the season.”
    That gave me chills. It's everything we bitched about around Pees: "taking the handcuffs off", "a player can by shackled by the rules and confines".

Fucking YES. I am ready for that. If we get a D that is like 85% of what Rex Ryan or Chuck P fielded, that will be a lot more fun to watch, even if it were not quite as efficient "statistically".

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    So my follow up question(s) would be were guys in the wrong position to make a play due to their own mistakes or not understanding where they were supposed to be? Or was the scheme and play call putting them in the wrong position?
    I think the rules were too complex, the roles too confining. Guys could tend to be a step slow because they have to think instead of just go.