Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Suggs throws Pees under the bus

Some of the problems the defense had were scheme, but just as many were not finishing the play, i.e. making the tackle.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Reading the title of this thread, I was hoping for something more incendiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Real talk... that's exactly how I feel.... pees was never a bad defensive coordinator, he just doesn't fit what we do.....
    Pees can coach defense but he’s a Belichick bend but don’t break disciple which doesn’t work for what the Ravens have traditionally done.

I read this as guys will have more of an opportunity to make splash plays. I hope Wink has the discipline to mix exotic packages with sound defensive football. I love the highlight reel in the Ryan era, but the lowlights were very low. Brady and Manning (And Rivers, and Roethlisberger) gobbled that defense up, and that was with Lewis, Reed and Suggs in their primes. I want a defense that makes rookies look ridiculous but can also hang with the big boys.

Pees’ defense was sound, but there was no risk whatsoever. The only way you get splash plays with that philosophy is with physical mismatches. Hard to come by in the NFL. Will be interested to see what the Titans do on defense this season.

So Suggs self buried himself for not understanding the importance of position in coverage?

I guess that's why he's always been ass when he has to cover.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    So Suggs self buried himself for not understanding the importance of position in coverage?

I guess that's why he's always been ass when he has to cover.
    Most pass rushers are ass in coverage. Its not normally what they should be doing if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Most pass rushers are ass in coverage. Its not normally what they should be doing if at all.
    The best guys at 3-4 OLB add value with the ability to cover at the slot. Suggs is effective at covering short flats though.

Blog Entries

I respect Suggs for not making a public issue of this while Pees was here. It had to be difficult to hold in. I've said it dozens of times. Dean Pees defense works best when you have an offense that consistently scores thirty points per game. That constant pressure on opposing offenses to keep up, leads to them taking more chances into those deep zone coverages. Baltimore does not strategically look for an offense that scores like that, and hasn't since Vinny was here. They have always felt that if their offense can give them twenty to twenty-five points, the defense will handle the rest. The offense scoring big in one game just doesn't have that sort of impact going into the game. When you go into a game thinking, "Oh God, how are we going to stop them from scoring 35+?", it causes more stress and stretching of one's focus. Plus, this is a defense traditionally expected to make big plays. So, when they generally are inhibited from doing so due to scheme, it wears on them in combination with seeing the offense struggle. It makes losing composure easy. To the point that even when the offense DOES put up some points, the defense still can't get it together, because now they aren't even playing within the scheme.

Belichick had the right idea. He put a lot of veterans into that defense who understood their assignment and role in the philosophy. 'Tom's leading the way, he'll drop thirty, you guys just capitalize off of obvious mistakes. We win'.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I respect Suggs for not making a public issue of this while Pees was here. It had to be difficult to hold in. I've said it dozens of times. Dean Pees defense works best when you have an offense that consistently scores thirty points per game. That constant pressure on opposing offenses to keep up, leads to them taking more chances into those deep zone coverages. Baltimore does not strategically look for an offense that scores like that, and hasn't since Vinny was here. They have always felt that if their offense can give them twenty to twenty-five points, the defense will handle the rest. The offense scoring big in one game just doesn't have that sort of impact going into the game. When you go into a game thinking, "Oh God, how are we going to stop them from scoring 35+?", it causes more stress and stretching of one's focus. Plus, this is a defense traditionally expected to make big plays. So, when they generally are inhibited from doing so due to scheme, it wears on them in combination with seeing the offense struggle. It makes losing composure easy. To the point that even when the offense DOES put up some points, the defense still can't get it together, because now they aren't even playing within the scheme.

Belichick had the right idea. He put a lot of veterans into that defense who understood their assignment and role in the philosophy. 'Tom's leading the way, he'll drop thirty, you guys just capitalize off of obvious mistakes. We win'.
    Fine insight. I would add that Harbaugh values his mental "coach's game" to a stupid extent, i.e. we make one first down, stall out between the 40 and 50 and Koch leads the league in punting inside the opponent's 20, we've-got-them-just-where-we-want-them attitude. Every year br.com proudly trumpets how many times Koch did that, as though that were something to be proud of. Huber, the punter for the league's worst offense (Cincy), was right up there with him.

Belichick would never think this. He wants stars who will put up points and march down the field and win TOP, so that his defense is fresh and ready for the despairing opponent to come back at them.

Harbaugh was happy enough to have an aging Steve Smith. But he doesn't want vibrant young stars who will win the game without Harbaugh's chess game being in the forefront. 17-13 is what Harbaugh wants.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    The best guys at 3-4 OLB add value with the ability to cover at the slot. Suggs is effective at covering short flats though.
    There are perhaps a handful of OLBs in NFL history who have had Suggs' understanding of the cues that give away a screen pass or the ability to exploit a QB into throwing a pick (see Roethlisberger, Ben). No, he couldn't cover a TE, but like Ray he had an extraordinary impact on the passing game beyond just his ability to rush the QB.

Blog Entries

Everyone saw how Pees would go into a shell at key points. It's not a coincidence how many blown games we had under Pees. Sure some of those were player mistakes, and you will always have that. But Pees didn't put the players in the best chance to win.

Blog Entries

Anyone who thinks it was all on Pees is fooling themselves. We have a couple of starting Safeties who love to freelance and act like they can make plays like Ed Reed. In fact I'm not even sure whether Suggs is referring to Pees or his teammates in that quote. It could be read either way.