Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: How good will the Ravens be

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    QB designed runs are a huge part of Louisville's run game and Lamar is a dynamic runner but its a bonus to his passing ability.
    Being a dynamic runner doesn't say anything one way or another about the QB's ability as a passer and Lamar is a much better passer then people give him credit for being.

It's like people get blinded by his running ability that they never get around to really looking at him as a passer.
    People really do overlook his passing abilities which is unfair.

QB designed runs are a huge part of Louisville's run game and Lamar is a dynamic runner but its a bonus to his passing ability.
    Being a dynamic runner doesn't say anything one way or another about the QB's ability as a passer and Lamar is a much better passer then people give him credit for being.

Seeing Jackson run is blinding.

True story. Its in one of items I posted i'll find it.*(SI article)
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/03/la...ger-louisville

A Louisville scout showed Petrino Jackson's scouting tape with Jackson's runs included but it didn't catch Petrino's eye. Later the scout took the same tape and removed the runs then Petrino asked the scout who is that kid...can we get him.
    Never discounted the kids passing ability. I’m a die hard FSU fan. I’ve watched Lamar play. Petrino used Lamar in the best way possible. He changed his offense to suit his QB. Maybe the Ravens can get him to come here in a year or two. Harbage doesn’t know how to scheme a picnic.

One more time for the cheap seats...I wasn’t knocking Lamar in any way. A poster asked another if they would judge any other draft pick w/o seeing them play. I said Lamar isn’t like any other draft pick. I hope he is the exception to the Heisman winning , best overall athlete , QB from college that comes to the pros. Most of them do not have great success in the NFL. I do hope the guy does great here. He’s a Raven. If he was a Steeler I’d never talk about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_NY View Post
    How many other draft picks did you just assume are going to not play well before seeing a single snap?

How many QB's do you know that made it in the NFL after being drafted in the first round, there have been plenty of busts throughout history, before we anoint him let's see how he does. I hope he does great but until I see a few years of him playing good ball there is no way in hell I am going to think he will be the Ravens QB answer after Flacco!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Never discounted the kids passing ability. I’m a die hard FSU fan. I’ve watched Lamar play. Petrino used Lamar in the best way possible. He changed his offense to suit his QB. Maybe the Ravens can get him to come here in a year or two. Harbage doesn’t know how to scheme a picnic.
    No you're right. You didn't knock Lamar's passing directly. However when you referred to him as QB you've only mentioned his running. You describe him as a "run option" QB and you've said...
    Figured that was better than run first. I’m not knocking the kid. Let’s be honest ...he out gained the number one drafted RB in the draft. That’s pretty well running is a huge part of his game.
    Here speak of him as if he's defined only by his running.

One more time for the cheap seats...I wasn’t knocking Lamar in any way. A poster asked another if they would judge any other draft pick w/o seeing them play. I said Lamar isn’t like any other draft pick. I hope he is the exception to the Heisman winning , best overall athlete , QB from college that comes to the pros. Most of them do not have great success in the NFL.
    No disrespect intended, but saying your not doing something doesn't mean that if you're actually doing it that people are going to go by your declaration that you're not doing it. Your knocking Lamar based on anecdotal historical precedents but at the same time you're saying you hope that he's the exception to said anecdotal historical precedents but you haven't said anything directly about his individual actual skillset other then his running.

And my we're having one of those interweb miscommunications but all i'm saying is that Lamar is more then just a dynamic runner.

No you're right. You didn't knock Lamar's passing directly. However when you referred to him as QB you've only mentioned his running. You describe him as a "run option" QB and you've said...Here speak of him as if he's defined only by his running.

No disrespect intended, but saying your not doing something doesn't mean that if you're actually doing it that people are going to go by your declaration that you're not doing it. Your knocking Lamar based on anecdotal historical precedents but at the same time you're saying you hope that he's the exception to said anecdotal historical precedents but you haven't said anything directly about his individual actual skillset other then his running.

And my we're having one of those interweb miscommunications but all i'm saying is that Lamar is more then just a dynamic runner.
    No harm no foul Dude. You’re right. I’ve never commented on his passing. Kids real good. Both at passing and running. For me ...wether by design or ability...he runs to much in college. We all know he won’t rush for 1000 yds as a Pro. I don’t want to see his career cut short on a run play. I’d like to see him use that explosive speed to escape sacks ( something Joe doesn’t do ) and then either rip it down field or turn on the jets and run ( outa bounds hopefully ). He’s not small like Wilson or Manzel or RG3. He can stand in the pocket and be a “traditional “ QB. My biggest fear is he’s like history says he will be. Guess we’ll all find out in about 2 months when camp starts!

Guess we’ll all find out in about 2 months when camp starts!
    More like 2 years, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    More like 2 years, I think.
    He’s gonna play preseason regardless. Start real games ..you’re prob right. Two years barring injury to Joe

Blog Entries

If Joe does not drastically improve, Lamar will be starting in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Just think, when LJ finally get's his chance (which could be this year depending on how Flacco plays) and does not do well he will be run out of Dodge by the same one's who think he is the savior on this board.
    Ehh the fans will be patient with him, if we can endure Flacco we can definitely take growing pains with LJ. I wouldn't be surprised if he has accuracy issues early on and has to rely a lot on his athleticism. But I definitely think he's going to be an improvement in the long term. Look, defenses can sit in coverage all day against Flacco, defenders can put all their focus on covering and and rushers can put all their focus on pure pass rushing. With LJ it's a whole different ball game, if you are only focused on coverage you are going to give him a seam to take off, if you are only worried about pass rushing you are going to allow him to break contain and scurry up the sideline, and on handoffs you can't just swarm the ball carrier, you have to be fully aware that LJ can hit you with a ball fake and then take off.

LJ is such a headache to play because he can hurt you so many different ways, if he proves to be a serviceable passer he can really be special. Plus in the redzone he's a nightmare, how many FG's turn into TD's with LJ's agility and acceleration, the play can be dead in the water, everybody blanketed, BOOM LJ takes off and nobody has the agility in space to keep him out of the endzone. How many times did we see that at Louisville? The same way Cam Newton can bulldoze his way in around the goalline, LJ can make people miss.

If you want a Basketball analogy Cam Newton is a Lebron type, bigger and more athletic, well rounded (Not comparing him to Lebron in terms of impact, just style). Russell Wilson is like Steph Curry, cunning, agile but can hit you with the quick release and pin point accuracy despite being undersized. LJ is like young Russell Westbrook, he couldn't shoot well early on (Much like LJ isn't the greatest thrower) but he's faster, more agile, and more explosive than everybody else he plays. Just like how Westbrook became a respectable shooter in time hopefully LJ will become a respectable passer.
    Last edited by sflegend89; 05-21-2018 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Ehh the fans will be patient with him, if we can endure Flacco we can definitely take growing pains with LJ. I wouldn't be surprised if he has accuracy issues early on and has to rely a lot on his athleticism. But I definitely think he's going to be an improvement in the long term. Look, defenses can sit in coverage all day against Flacco, defenders can put all their focus on covering and and rushers can put all their focus on pure pass rushing. With LJ it's a whole different ball game, if you are only focused on coverage you are going to give him a seam to take off, if you are only worried about pass rushing you are going to allow him to break contain and scurry up the sideline, and on handoffs you can't just swarm the ball carrier, you have to be fully aware that LJ can hit you with a ball fake and then take off.

LJ is such a headache to play because he can hurt you so many different ways, if he proves to be a serviceable passer he can really be special. Plus in the redzone he's a nightmare, how many FG's turn into TD's with LJ's agility and acceleration, the play can be dead in the water, everybody blanketed, BOOM LJ takes off and nobody has the agility in space to keep him out of the endzone. How many times did we see that at Louisville? The same way Cam Newton can bulldoze his way in around the goalline, LJ can make people miss.

If you want a Basketball analogy Cam Newton is a Lebron type, bigger and more athletic, well rounded (Not comparing him to Lebron in terms of impact, just style). Russell Wilson is like Steph Curry, cunning, agile but can hit you with the quick release and pin point accuracy despite being undersized. LJ is like young Russell Westbrook, he couldn't shoot well early on (Much like LJ isn't the greatest thrower) but he's faster, more agile, and more explosive than everybody else he plays. Just like how Westbrook became a respectable shooter in time hopefully LJ will become a respectable passer.
    I hope you are right but RG gave the same look for the Skins and we all know what happened.

Blog Entries

No harm no foul Dude. You’re right. I’ve never commented on his passing. Kids real good. Both at passing and running. For me ...wether by design or ability...he runs to much in college.
    There is big difference in whether a QB runs by design of the offense and whether he chooses to run. Petrino building Lamar's dynamic ability into the run game was smart but the frequency with how often Lamar was asked to run has got nothing to do with Lamar's style of play it was the style of the offense (and it was smart).

I don’t want to see his career cut short on a run play. I’d like to see him use that explosive speed to escape sacks ( something Joe doesn’t do ) and then either rip it down field or turn on the jets and run ( outa bounds hopefully ). He’s not small like Wilson or Manzel or RG3. He can stand in the pocket and be a “traditional “ QB. My biggest fear is he’s like history says he will be. Guess we’ll all find out in about 2 months when camp starts!
    Lamar had a ton of carries in college and took a bunch of hits; yet wasn't injured. We don't hear the injury concern brought up about Rosen and Allen despite the fact that they (unlike Lamar) were actually injured in college despite receiving far fewer. And like you pointed out Lamar will run far less in NFL then he did in college and therefore won't be hit as much. I guess I don't see the logic in having any more fear over Lamar's injury risk and being worried about that compared to any other QB prospect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    I hope you are right but RG gave the same look for the Skins and we all know what happened.
    You mean Harbaugh is going to pull a Mike Shanahan and play his QB knowing he has a torn LCL? Then have falling out with him the year follow his offseason knee surgery then go scorched earth on him when he gets fired? That's what happened to Griffin. Also, Griffin and Lamar are vastly different QBs as prospects. Lamar comes from a pro-style passing offense at Louisville and Griffin came from an air raid spread. Griffin was straight line speed runner, Lamar is a dynamic open field make you miss runner. Griffin was hurt in college w/ a torn ACL. Lamar wasn't injured in college.