Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: How will Harbaugh use Lamar Jackson this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Looked pretty solid while heaving a large medicine ball backwards. (Didn’t look like an exercise I’d want to do with some back discomfort)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always the good FWO soldier LOL

Clipboard holder, is my preference for this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Except for signing Robert Griffin, drafting Lamar Jackson and coincidentally having a brother who took a mobile QB to the SB and don't forget having 3 coaches on the staff that having experiencing grooming and crafting offense around a mobile QB.

Maybe...maybe not.

But, if you put Jackson in and it sparks the offense then why in the world would it be a problem to keep him in? I thought the goal was to be productive on offense.
    He may have brought in those coaches, but that does not mean that he intends to use Griffin as the focal point of the team philosophy. He will still be the game manager who compliments the defense.

If Flacco struggles and you put Jackson in to spark the offense, that temporarily repairs the offense, not Flacco. That was my point.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

If the offense struggles with Flacco under Center, and Jackson comes in for a package, if the package works, there's no turning back. Fans are not going to have patience with Flacco at this point. Once you put Jackson in, you are going to have to keep him in or create more confusion on offense.

What fans have to understand is that all of these creative concepts work with an offense that is well structured. When you have an offense poorly structured, you're just adding more problems to the equation. It's like not being able to scramble an egg, but suddenly trying to make an omelet.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Clipboard holder, is my preference for this season.
    I'd like to see him get some in-game experience.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

i think ravens need to come out after TC and say that jackson will only come in on special packages and its joes team unless he gets injured.

I have some weird feeling that this coaching staff is still going to try to line him up at receiver this season after he's said he can't catch, doesn't want to be a WR, and was basically promised by us that he will only be a QB. I just hope that doesn't cause drama.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I'd like to see him get some in-game experience.
    I'm not opposed in principle. But I'd like it to be pretty strictly controlled.

You know what I've always believed would be a good practice, for NFL coaches to do? It would never fly, but I always thought this would be a solid idea:

Every week in the reg season, whoever is the #2 guy on the QB depth chart, plays the first series that starts in the second quarter. He plays that one drive, every week. Some weeks he'll go three-&-out. Some weeks he'll lead a FG drive, hopefully. But dip his toe into a bit of game-action, every week.

My reasoning is:

1. Every year, some team's season hinges on the backup guy coming in cold, with no practice or game action for weeks.
    2. Every other position on the field, the backups rotate in and get some experience. But not the most important? How does that make sense?
    3. Invest some game reps in insurance for your team. You get one series: it's up to you to make the most of it.
    4. And if the backup is a rookie, then you're getting some development time out of it, too.

Some backup QBs check out during the week of practice, while the starter hogs all the reps. But if the second string guy KNOWS he's going into the game, then you can believe you'll get 100% of his attention during the week of game-prep. If your 2nd-string guy is a rookie, then you could have a limited offense for him in week one, slightly expanded in week three, etc etc. That guy is getting valuable reps in critical game situations: not "garbage time" or mop-up duty. If your 2nd-stringer had a different skill set from the starter (like Tyrod Taylor or RG3 behind Flacco), then you could have a change-of-pace offense for him, that might give you a jump-start if you need one.

It would involve a bit of a sales job to the rest of the team. But I think a team could go for it if you (a) drew the parallel to other positions, and (b) described it like paying car insurance. Most years we won't need it, and it might seem like the money is wasted; but eventually there will come a time when we'll be glad we have the insurance.

It would be an important thing to manage carefully. You don't want to ignite a QB controversy where there doesn't need to be one. Perhaps even more, you don't want the backup to throw a pick-6 in a tight game, and cost you an important win, get the locker room doubting your program. It's a tightrope. But I think there could be important benefits for a team, once a season or so has gone by and it becomes business-as-usual.

Just my pet idea.

I don't think you can underestimate the value of making the opposition spend practice time on two vastly different quarterbacks. If we allow our guy to do a Red Zone package that would mean that the defenses are going to have to be prepared for two completely different concepts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    i think ravens need to come out after TC and say that jackson will only come in on special packages and its joes team unless he gets injured.
    I would be disappointed if they did that. Joe is gone after next year regardless so if Jackson gets to the point the CS feels comfortable putting him in and Joe is struggling then the change should be made inseason.

I also honestly want the pressure on Joe because if we are going to get anything out of him next year that is the only way it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    I don't think you can underestimate the value of making the opposition spend practice time on two vastly different quarterbacks. If we allow our guy to do a Red Zone package that would mean that the defenses are going to have to be prepared for two completely different concepts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    While your concept is 100% right ....do you expect this coaching staff to do any of this? Hell a Red Zone package with both QBs in the back field would create havoc. But ...again. Everyone seems to have more faith in Harbage than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    How’s Joe’s back? Hmmm backs can be tricky hmmmm
    Why you sound like a mobster saying this lol
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller