Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: How will Harbaugh use Lamar Jackson this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Barring injury, LJ shouldn't see the field this season.
    How’s Joe’s back? Hmmm backs can be tricky hmmmm

Blog Entries

Harbaugh to LJ, "Here's the only equipment you'll need this year."

"Oh, and here's a pencil too."

... Bc

It will depend on Flacco.

If Flacco is playing extremely well, leave him in and have Jackson learn the Offense from the sidelines.

If Flacco struggles, and the Offense is stalling constantly, failing to extend drives on 3rd down, failing to punch it in for the TD in the red zone, etc., then you'll have to "creatively" insert Jackson into some specific packages for those situations...if Flacco's struggles continue throughout the season, I think we WILL see Jackson starting after the week 10 bye.

My preference is to have Flacco play well, and never see Jackson on the field (outside of the preseason, obviously).

Blog Entries

I think Lamar Jackson is going to be a QB who will need an elite RB to succeed. RB should be the top target in next years draft IMO. I like Dixon and Collins, but Dixon has not proven he can be relied on due to health and drug use, while Collins for me isn't big enough to be that elite every down back, he is more of a change of pace back who can be a very valuable piece, but more effective when you keep him at 10-12 touches a game tops. Dixon has the potential, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy this season. When you go with Jackson as the starting QB, you are going to have to run the ball well, because you don't want Jackson to be throwing the ball 40 times a game (to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Joe plays bad and is losing us games like he was at the start of last season the pressure from the fans will surely be too much not to out LJ in.
    If you look at sort of what has been the trend the last couple of years Flacco starts the season terribly then has a small spurt at the end.

2017: 72.3 QB rating 1st 8 games
    2016: 76 QB rating 1st 8 games

He starts the year off as he did in 2017 and 2016 he won't make it to game 9. So to answer the question to start the year he'll be used on 3rd and short and certain goal line situations but I think he'll finish the year as our starter.

I've seen this song and dance many times very rarely does the veteran hold onto the job till the end of the year.

3rd and goal from the 6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    I understand the rationale, but this would kill Flacco's mojo. Stats matter. If Joe gets the team to the red zone, he'd be pissed if LJ was "gifted" the finish. IMHO, only way to keep Joe's head into the season would be to have LJ start a prescribed set of series.
    He doesn't get into the end zone anyway, there are no stats to steal. It's a field goal kicking team.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

They have to have some packages for him, you can’t have a player with that kind of skill set which this offense severely lacks sitting on the bench all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ (barring injury to Flacco) will be holding the clipboard until the Ravens determine they don't have a legit shot to make the playoffs.

If LJ plays this year, Harbaugh is going to get him killed. Harbaugh and the offensive coaching staff will have him running way to much. Harbaugh is risk averse and wants a running game. LJ will be electric running the football and Harbs and this staff will run him into the ground. The best case for LJ is he sits for a year and the team gets a new coaching staff. The thought of not having to pass the ball and take risks is way to enticing to John.

Also, Michael Crawford @abukari highlights some of the RPO concepts we ran last year with Flacco.

Just imagine it now...12 personnel, Lamar Jackson at QB, Brown going in motion as the Z & Crabtree as the X (left of formation). Hurst and Andrews at tight end. The Ravens offense won't rush Lamar into a situation but from the skilled players, it's a complete 180 from last year https://twitter.com/RussNFLDraft/sta...768320/video/1

Ravens use RPO concept vs Bears on 2nd & 8. Mesh action with RB sucks up LB59. They motion Watson & use his flat route to pull OLB94 outisde. Both routes create space for Campanaro's 5-step slant route. https://twitter.com/abukari/status/9...429312/video/1

They also have RPO concepts in their playbook. LB48 is in Flacco’s face so fast here there’s no time for a fake to Collins. The execution needed to be better, but again these concepts are in their playbook & can be expanded with Jackson at QB in the future. https://twitter.com/abukari/status/9...116096/video/1

They didn’t use them often with Flacco but the Ravens do have designed QB runs in their playbook. This has zone read action with Boyle arc blocking around the edge. Tough to tell if Flacco is truly reading the DE. May have been a designed QB keeper using Collins as eye candy. https://twitter.com/abukari/status/9...868737/video/1