Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How will Harbaugh use Lamar Jackson this year?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I do not want to see Jackson on the field for a portion of plays per game. This offense has struggled enough to find a good sense of rhythm and symmetry. Adding a package of plays to the mix will add to the challenge of gaining that.
    You make a strong point about the struggles of the offense but that sounds like the exact reason to put Lamar on the field.....to spark the offense when its struggling.

Adding the 'Lamar package' would be in concert with the plays/gameplan. Look at the Eagles and Chiefs for example they mix traditional "West Coast Offense" with RPOs.

Furthermore, I don't trust Harbaugh to utilize Jackson properly. John Harbaugh is not a Head Coach who emphasizes getting the most out of the Quarterback...After all that we've seen from him, I don't see how he's going to be able to get the most out of Jackson.
    I am absolutely certain John wants his staff to emphasize getting the most out of Lamar. Do you really think Harbaugh doesn't emphasize getting the most out of the QB?

The moves this offseason suggest that Harbaugh is trying to get more from this QB position. And having a QB with mobility is clearly something the staff is interested in with the additions of Robert Griffin and drafting Lamar Jackson.

Harbs played against Kaep and watched his brother bring the 49ers into relevance on a team built around a mobile QB. Currently on the staff you have Greg Roman the architect of that offense. You have Martywhig and James Urban; both worked with the Vick with the Eagles. Harbaughs doesn't coach the QBs. As the HC he guides the direction of the team and he's already made statements that Lamar will see the field and that the coaches are going to be in the 'laboratory'.

I could see him being unable to make up his mind with what he wants to do. He'll want to start out with the conservative approach. When things look bad, he'll try to get Jackson in the game. I think it will backfire on him and he will, in turn, kill everyone's momentum, or what little they have left by that point.
    Wow, you really got an axe to grind with Harbaugh...and I'm getting confused....if everyone is as inept as you say and things look bad on offense like you said then what would be wrong with putting the most explosive player on the team on the field? The one player who can make a game changing play even when the original design of the play fails?

2. Re: How will Harbaugh use Lamar Jackson this year?

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    If he wants to keep his job, LJ will play. A lot!
    So, it's all up to LJ if, when and how much he plays? Interesting.

Barring injury, LJ shouldn't see the field this season.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

I do not want to see Jackson on the field for a portion of plays per game. This offense has struggled enough to find a good sense of rhythm and symmetry. Adding a package of plays to the mix will add to the challenge of gaining that. Furthermore, I don't trust Harbaugh to utilize Jackson properly. John Harbaugh is not a Head Coach who emphasizes getting the most out of the Quarterback. Through his philosophy, he has shown that his preferred idea of a Quarterback is someone who makes a handful of plays per game, to compliment the defense. Only once he's backed into a corner will he deviate from that philosophy. Which is why he and Flacco have been at odds philosophically, because Flacco feels that you can't just keep waiting until it's an emergency to do that. Then, only to revert back to the previous approach once you are out of danger. The best way to stay out of danger is to maintain an aggressive philosophy with the offense, particularly the passing offense. However, history has shown that when this offense makes a few mistakes or starts to sputter, unless it's a big regular season game or playoff game, Coach Harbaugh puts this offense into it's turtle shell.

After all that we've seen from him, I don't see how he's going to be able to get the most out of Jackson. I could see him being unable to make up his mind with what he wants to do. He'll want to start out with the conservative approach. When things look bad, he'll try to get Jackson in the game. I think it will backfire on him and he will, in turn, kill everyone's momentum, or what little they have left by that point. He will come out in post-game pressers, stressing the need for consistency from the offense. While, the product will show few signs of him making the right decisions to manifest that consistency.
    Up to last season Flacco was throwing the ball 50 times a game on occasions, how is that in any relm only allowing your QBs to make a hand fall of plays?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    By week 8 he'll be the starter.
    If Joe plays bad and is losing us games like he was at the start of last season the pressure from the fans will surely be too much not to out LJ in.

I think the 2018 Ravens offense will look a lot like the 2012 9ers offense before Alex Smith got hurt. Emphasis on running the ball regardless of QB with Flacco taking the majority of the snaps and Lamar coming in for short yardage, goal line, and to change the pace if the offense lulls or there is a specific weakness we want to exploit.

Really excited to see what Roman can cook up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    You make a strong point about the struggles of the offense but that sounds like the exact reason to put Lamar on the field.....to spark the offense when its struggling.

Adding the 'Lamar package' would be in concert with the plays/gameplan. Look at the Eagles and Chiefs for example they mix traditional "West Coast Offense" with RPOs.

I am absolutely certain John wants his staff to emphasize getting the most out of Lamar. Do you really think Harbaugh doesn't emphasize getting the most out of the QB?

The moves this offseason suggest that Harbaugh is trying to get more from this QB position. And having a QB with mobility is clearly something the staff is interested in with the additions of Robert Griffin and drafting Lamar Jackson.

Harbs played against Kaep and watched his brother bring the 49ers into relevance on a team built around a mobile QB. Currently on the staff you have Greg Roman the architect of that offense. You have Martywhig and James Urban; both worked with the Vick with the Eagles. Harbaughs doesn't coach the QBs. As the HC he guides the direction of the team and he's already made statements that Lamar will see the field and that the coaches are going to be in the 'laboratory'.

Wow, you really got an axe to grind with Harbaugh...and I'm getting confused....if everyone is as inept as you say and things look bad on offense like you said then what would be wrong with putting the most explosive player on the team on the field? The one player who can make a game changing play even when the original design of the play fails?
    In 2010, when Jim Zorn got the most out of Flacco up to that point, he was still fired, because Zorn and Flacco shared philosophical differences with Cameron. So, despite Flacco's best season, from watching the games (His footwork, release), Coach Harbaugh fired Zorn and gave Cameron QB coach responsibilities. Flacco went public with his frustrations of the decision and his comments fell on deaf ears. They traded his best WR off the heels of a Super Bowl victory, over 2 million dollars. Ozzie does not make that move without John's blessing. If John wanted to stand on the table for Boldin, he could have, would have and Boldin would have still been here. After Kubiak brought the offense decent success, Harbaugh had NO succession plan in place, in case anything happened with Kubiak. He had to be told to contact Kubiak to begin with. Last off-season, all Coach Harbaugh talked about was how they were building a great defense. He is a Bo Schembechler disciple. Coach Bo didn't emphasize the QB and neither does John. Nothing he has done during his tenure has shown that he would even entertain the idea of the QB being the focal point of the team.

Putting Jackson in to spark the offense means that if it works, you have to keep him in. That's the game you play when you do that. Kansas City and Philadelphia didn't have the struggles that the Ravens have had offensively. Their offensive structures were far superior to what the Ravens have had.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 11-13-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Up to last season Flacco was throwing the ball 50 times a game on occasions, how is that in any relm only allowing your QBs to make a hand fall of plays?
    Because he was doing it by force, because they couldn't run the ball. If they could, he wouldn't have come close to that amount. Game after game they tried to establish the run and couldn't. That's when Flacco started chucking it, because while the passing offense and rush offense were both terrible, you at least had a chance with the passing offense. With the rush offense, Zuttah was getting pushed into Flacco before he could hand the ball off.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yup I think they should put in some goal line and short yardage plays to get him some action. The last three years the Ravens offensive MVP was Tucker. Really would be nice to get a few more TDs.
    I understand the rationale, but this would kill Flacco's mojo. Stats matter. If Joe gets the team to the red zone, he'd be pissed if LJ was "gifted" the finish. IMHO, only way to keep Joe's head into the season would be to have LJ start a prescribed set of series.

I'm not for them using Lamar here and there. If Flacco is the starter, let him start and when they are ready to move on from Flacco then it's Lavar time to shine.

Blog Entries

Because he was doing it by force, because they couldn't run the ball. If they could, he wouldn't have come close to that amount. Game after game they tried to establish the run and couldn't. That's when Flacco started chucking it, because while the passing offense and rush offense were both terrible, you at least had a chance with the passing offense. With the rush offense, Zuttah was getting pushed into Flacco before he could hand the ball off.
    Fair point

3rd and short. the ravens have not been good enough converting 3rd and 3 yards or less. let LJ extend drives by converting third and shorts.