Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Terrible article on Pees. Finally some lies

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    Remember guys, you have to look at the stats and the analytics. Everybody obsesses over the two minute defense -- and its understandable as to why they would -- but in reality, what goes on for the first 58 minutes before that is about 29 times as important. Its just basic math.

The name of the game is score points, and keep the other team from scoring points. Don't forget that. It doesn't really matter when those points come. The reality is that you have a lot more time to score points over a longer period of time, and vice versa, your enemy has a greater period of time to score points over the first 58 minutes.

So if you believe that there is a metaphysical block that's making a great 58 minute defense terrible in the last two minutes, don't sweat it or freak out. What does it matter? If your team is taking care of business for the majority of the game, you'll get your wins. Just get your lead, and turtle in the last 5-8 minutes. There's not a whole lot they can do when your offense is running out the clock and going into victory formation. And a conversely, if you have a super defense in the last minutes, but don't look at them throughout the game, you're a little SOL. You're not going to make miraculous comebacks on a regular basis.

The game is set up to heavily benefit teams who take early leads, and to penalize teams who lose control of the game early. The reality is that statistically and analytically, the defense was balling this year. The offense was so inept that they couldn't hold a possession and convert the full 7 points, so the defense was heavily strained, and couldn't possibly be expected to compete at a high level in the last few minutes when they were playing way more than they should have.

So yes, it all came back to a piss poor offense, and a talented, but overtaxed defense trying to plug up the dam.
    yeah we only scored like 30 + in pitt just to lose ... Offenses fault. How about the defense getting shreded by bell even with our ELit3 DT back in the fold.

That defense was soft last year just like the coordinator. If your HC and Coordinators are soft, your team will take that mentality
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think the worst case scenario is that Vrabel overrides Pees and starts dictating the 4th quarter defense.
    He will, likely in the 4th quarter of 2018... Bc

Stunts up front? Pees fooled no one, which is why we couldn't get any pressure, even on blitzes.
    Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Love how soft zone coverages are the fault of Pees when players in coverage can't cover man-to-man either. The coaching staff needs a secondary coach or Harbaugh being an secondary "expert" need to get more out of the players.

Anyway Pees is actually really good at coming up with good stunt schemes upfront which no one really talks about because their too busy burying him for things that aren't entirely his fault. People never talk about how this defense doesn't have superstar players and expect plays to be made when they need to. Or they don't talk about how this defense doesn't get enough support from their terrible offense.

WAR Dean Pees.
    Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Pees would switch his defense up in the last two-minutes. He always goes away from what's working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    Remember guys, you have to look at the stats and the analytics. Everybody obsesses over the two minute defense -- and its understandable as to why they would -- but in reality, what goes on for the first 58 minutes before that is about 29 times as important. Its just basic math.

The name of the game is score points, and keep the other team from scoring points. Don't forget that. It doesn't really matter when those points come. The reality is that you have a lot more time to score points over a longer period of time, and vice versa, your enemy has a greater period of time to score points over the first 58 minutes.

So if you believe that there is a metaphysical block that's making a great 58 minute defense terrible in the last two minutes, don't sweat it or freak out. What does it matter? If your team is taking care of business for the majority of the game, you'll get your wins. Just get your lead, and turtle in the last 5-8 minutes. There's not a whole lot they can do when your offense is running out the clock and going into victory formation. And a conversely, if you have a super defense in the last minutes, but don't look at them throughout the game, you're a little SOL. You're not going to make miraculous comebacks on a regular basis.

The game is set up to heavily benefit teams who take early leads, and to penalize teams who lose control of the game early. The reality is that statistically and analytically, the defense was balling this year. The offense was so inept that they couldn't hold a possession and convert the full 7 points, so the defense was heavily strained, and couldn't possibly be expected to compete at a high level in the last few minutes when they were playing way more than they should have.

So yes, it all came back to a piss poor offense, and a talented, but overtaxed defense trying to plug up the dam.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Pees would switch his defense up in the last two-minutes. He always goes away from what's working.

Well that happens several times throughout the course of a game. Adjustments have to be made. It's when he doesn't make the adjustment until its too late.. like keeping Carr on AB.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Stunts up front? Pees fooled no one, which is why we couldn't get any pressure, even on blitzes.

41 sacks last season. So you're wrong about that.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    41 sacks last season. So you're wrong about that.
    It would be interesting to see at what point in the game those happened. I can't recall a single sack when we needed it in the 4th quarter protecting a lead. All I can remember of 4th quarters with leads is opposing QBs sitting back smoking a cigar, sipping a little cognac, while scanning the defense waiting for his WR to come open,

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It would be interesting to see at what point in the game those happened. I can't recall a single sack when we needed it in the 4th quarter protecting a lead. All I can remember of 4th quarters with leads is opposing QBs sitting back smoking a cigar, sipping a little cognac, while scanning the defense waiting for his WR to come open,
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sequence of events shouldn't matter though. When you keep playing close games down to the last second the margin of error for mistakes becomes tighter. You can't throw away the rest of the game from before because of what happened in the last 2 minutes.