Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: A CB Trade On the Horizon?

What good is keeping Jimmy when you know he'll be on IR by December
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    You don't trade proven quality starters unless you have a reliable Plan B. I don't think the Ravens can afford to trade their top CBs.
    Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Cb for C?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    I don't really understand all of the cap ramifications, but if that is the case I would explore cutting ties with Jimmy Smith. I like him when he plays, but he's such a wildcard. When he went out last season the defense really changed. Brandon Carr is nothing exciting, but he's solid and durable. Humphrey/Carr with good safety play wouldn't be the worst tandem ever. Humphrey could even be ready to be top dog this season.
    Jimmy Smith would save about $2.3M but result in about $13.3M in dead money. Humphrey/Carr might be fine, but where is the proven depth?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Cutting Jimmy saves 2.2M and has 13M in dead money or something like that.

Jimmy was playing some really good football last year before his injury. I get that he getsh urt every year, but the cap savings just aren't there to justify losing some borderline elite play.

Next year he saves 9.5 and only 6.67 in dead money. That's when you consider it depending on health.
    He'll probably miss the first part of the season and be back on IR for the later part of the season, so if we can get any monetery benefit by cutting or trading him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Jimmy was playing some really good football last year before his injury. I get that he getsh urt every year, but ....
    Not every year. He played 16 games in 2013 and 2015.

I agree. I would take 12 superior games from Smith over 16 average games from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Jimmy Smith would save about $2.3M but result in about $13.3M in dead money. Humphrey/Carr might be fine, but where is the proven depth?
    Hill, Canady, or Young don't inspire a lot of confidence as top depth guys (and one of those guys needs to be the nickel corner), but young and inexperienced is more useful than can't play at all. Pretty much a crapshoot. Ravens are going to have some tough decisions to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Hill, Canady, or Young don't inspire a lot of confidence as top depth guys (and one of those guys needs to be the nickel corner), but young and inexperienced is more useful than can't play at all. Pretty much a crapshoot. Ravens are going to have some tough decisions to make.
    The current (according to the Ravens' website) list of CBs (height, years in league including 2018):

5'11" Averett, Anthony (R)
    6'1" Canady, Maurice (3)
    6'0" Carr, Brandon (11)
    5'10" Hill, Jaylen (2)
    6'0" Humphrey, Marlon (2)
    6'0" Jackson, Bennett (2)
    6'3" Jean-Baptiste, Stanley (3)
    5'9" Nelson, Robert (3)
    6'0" Smith, Jimmy (8)
    5'9" Williams, Darious (R)
    5'9" Young, Tavon (3)

Trading a corner... it's a good question but I wouldn't even consider it until we're nearing the deadline to trim the roster down to 53 players.

As long as we can carry 90 (is that the number?) in the offseason, I think we should hold on to every one of them to:

1. See what the new guys bring to the table, and

2. Sadly, inevitably, see who sustains season-ending injuries in OTAs, minicamp, camp, etc., so we can count up how many corners we really have available for the regular season. If past is prologue, it won't be anywhere near the number of guys who are healthy today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ravens have a lot of good corners right now...

Jimmy
    Carr
    Humphrey
    Tavon
    Canady
    J. Hill

Then they drafted Averett and Darius Williams, a rookie UDFA from UAB, played well during the recent minicamp.

I know cornerback depth has been a huge factor for the Ravens, but does anyone else see this as a potential trade scenario?
    maybe a different team, but weve been so snake bitten and have multiple guys coming off injury as it is. I dont see us giving up depth there. They expect Jimmy back for TC, so PUP is off the table, but he may not be 100% for awhile. It would be nice to be able to bring him back slowly.

outside that, it would make a lot of sense. Im not sure what you get that helps us this year, that we didnt already account for in the draft. So any trade would likely be for a draft pick. Honestly, were in pretty good shape right now, and barring injury, I dont see the value unless somebody over pays which i doubt they do for a guy at the bottom of our depth chart.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I said the same last week. There is some talent there and too many to keep. Something has to give.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

decided to dive a little deeper.

Jimmy
    Carr
    Humphrey
    Tavon
    Averett
    Canaday
    Hill

Levine

Weddle
    Jefferson
    Clark
    Ellliot
    Nacua

13 names, 11 spots max.

looking at the list the one that stands out is Carr. Hes solid and reliable (despite not being able to guard AB) and would free cap space. If Jimmys health is good enough AND we have another guy showing signs of playing outside (3 total), I could see him getting dealt. The wild card would be Levine (who is our big cover LB, ST ace and backup S right now), but if another LB shows ability to cover, or one of clark/elliot do, than maybe we can trade levine for something as well.

The chances of us not having an injury in the secondary are slim to none, imo. You cant make that move until the final 53, and teams willing to deal at that time are looking for deals to guarantee additions vs go after them as FAs. in other words, theyre only going to trade you their cast offs or poor return value.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    decided to dive a little deeper.

Jimmy
    Carr
    Humphrey
    Tavon
    Averett
    Canaday
    Hill

Levine

Weddle
    Jefferson
    Clark
    Ellliot
    Nacua

13 names, 11 spots max.

looking at the list the one that stands out is Carr. Hes solid and reliable (despite not being able to guard AB) and would free cap space. If Jimmys health is good enough AND we have another guy showing signs of playing outside (3 total), I could see him getting dealt. The wild card would be Levine (who is our big cover LB, ST ace and backup S right now), but if another LB shows ability to cover, or one of clark/elliot do, than maybe we can trade levine for something as well.

The chances of us not having an injury in the secondary are slim to none, imo. You cant make that move until the final 53, and teams willing to deal at that time are looking for deals to guarantee additions vs go after them as FAs. in other words, theyre only going to trade you their cast offs or poor return value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I said the same last week. There is some talent there and too many to keep. Something has to give.
    I agree.

I am not trading Jimmy though. Yes, he's a durability concern, but when he's on the field, this defense is SO much better.

I'd be looking to trade Carr first, but some other guys I would consider are Hill, Canady, and Levine.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.