Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

It's late, but my draft review. Take it FWIW

Now that I’ve served my week off, time for my draft review/rant.

Disclaimer: I am NOT the “I hate every pick” guy. Go look at last year’s draft thread for confirmation. I like who I like and don’t like who I don’t like. I’m generally a fan of giving the organization the benefit of the doubt. I also don’t claim to be a fortune teller, or able to foresee next week’s lottery numbers, so don’t use that tired commentary.

1/25
    The pick: Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina.

The rant: UGH, hate, hate, hate this pick. Yes, he’s a “solid” college player, but when you’re picking a TE in the first round, you’d better be getting a matchup problem that can stretch the field. He’s an average athlete for the modern position that I don’t think can stretch the field. He has very limited college production (which typically ain’t a good sign for NFL production). Some don’t see the big deal about his age. I think it’s an indicator of a lack of physical upside. And when you’re 25 as a rookie, the term “raw” should not appear anywhere close to your scouting report. Hurst is a willing blocker, but it’s raw as hell. So Ozzie took (IMO) an overaged, average athlete who’s raw as a blocker and can’t stretch the field, but is a system fit. That’s the profile of a guy you take in round 3, not round 1.

Should have been the pick: DJ Moore/Courtland Sutton/Calvin Ridley. You had the chance to take the top receiver in the draft and you traded down?!! James Daniels would have been a nice pick as well.

1/32
    The pick: Lamar Jackson, QB, Lousville.

The rant: Ugh, one of the QBs I really didn’t like. You don’t find many NFL QBs who have accuracy issues and lack the ability to move beyond one read. Amassed a lot of his production in garbage time. Massive injury risk due to his style and narrow frame. Here’s hoping his issues are more lack of experience than lack of mental capacity. I’ve been saying for a while he’s got athletic ability that’d be worth a 1st at another position, and this indicates the end of the Flacco era, so I’m not TOO down on this pick.

Should have been the pick
    : James Daniels, Courtland Sutton, Mike Gesicki, Dallas Goedert, James Washington, Derrius Guice

3/83
    The pick: Orlando Brown, Jr., OT, Oklahoma

The rant: Triple UGH. Anyone that’s followed the draft threads knows how I feel about this guy. Slow-footed, clumsy, lacking punch, strong indications of terrible work ethic/dedication to his craft. He’s the reason I had to take a posting hiatus. At this point, it’s as if Ozzie read my posts and was like (“Hey, fuck this guy, let’s ruin his weekend”). I think the odds are better that he’s 420 and out of football at the end of his rookie deal rather than a contributor.

Should have been the pick: Literally anyone else? Cappa later in the round at least brings top-notch nasty to the position. Mason Cole would have been a versatile OL depth option. Dorian O’Daniel is potentially an elite coverage LB.

3/86
    The pick: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma

The rant: I actually like this one, though already investing the first in Hurst dampens the value. Similar type athlete to Hurst, but uber-productive, and showed more ability to stretch the field. Not a good blocker at this point, but skilled enough to line up at WR. This is around the range Hurst should have been picked, IMO.

Should have been the pick: In light of already taking Hurst, one of the two mentioned for the Brown pick above.

4/122
    The pick: Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama

The rant: Another one I’m good with. Athletic, and pretty good at staying on a receiver’s hip. Willing run supporter. Doesn’t find the ball and dude will get abused by strong, physical receivers (see matchup against Mike Williams). I think he’s a slot corner only. Put him on the boundaries, and it’s back-shoulder throws all day. I could see him being a similar player/quality to Tavon Young. Just fine for round 4.

Should have been the pick: Will Richardson, Ito Smith, Kalen Ballage. Each has as many weaknesses as Averett. I could see Averett being the best pick at this point.

4/132
    The pick: Jaleel Scott, WR, New Mexico St.

The rant: One I like! Huge frame who snatches the ball and wins 50/50s. Decent enough athleticism for his size. His slender frame brings about Clarence Moore vibes, but I think this dude is better.

Should have been the pick: Maurice Hurst would have been a great risk/reward pick, Troy Fumagalli would have been your solid blocking TE here, if Hurst wasn’t picked.

5/162
    The pick: Jordan Lasley, WR, UCLA

The rant
    : Body catcher with character concerns, but big play potential. I don’t buy the first round talent narrative. He’s a typical Ravens’ WR pick, and I don’t expect him to be with the team after his rookie deal. We’ve shown zero ability to develop guys like this.

Should have been the pick: If you’re going with the athletic WR with hands concerns profile, Deon Cain is better. Duke Ejiofor has Judon-type potential as a pro.

6/190
    The pick: DeShon Elliott, S, Texas

The rant: This dude was nowhere near my radar, so don’t know much of anything about him. He’s a 6th rounder, so whatevs.

Should have been the pick: Shaun Dion Hamilton is nice value at this point, Braxton Berrios is a player.

6/212
    The pick: Greg Senat, OT, Wagner

The rant: Dude was on the scouting radar pre-combine, so I checked him out. Slow feet, doesn’t sustain blocks, sub-par functional strength. Had almost as bad a combine as Brown. Seems his only NFL attributes are size, and the appearance that he had some lateral quickness against terrible competition. Looks a UDFA talent

Should have been the pick: Bo has some ability as a short-yardage hammer. Marcell Ateman had production and athleticism at WR. Kevin Tolliver or Tavaris McFadden were worth a punt at this stage.

6/215 -
    The pick: Bradley Bozeman, OC, Alabama

The rant: Experienced player, but lacking athletically. Will have to show some real smarts to block effectively at this level.

Should have been the pick: See the Senat slot above.

7/238 -
    The pick: Zach Sieler

The rant. Let me tell you about this guy! Couldn’t pick him out of a lineup. Have no idea. I’ll trust the scouts’ ability to find small-school DL.

Should have been the pick
    : We’ll give this one to them, but otherwise see above.

Re: It's late, but my draft review. Take it FWIW

I second the disclaimer. That ain't Miz.

I knew as soon as the draft was over you weren't going to be happy based on your comments in the draft thread.

...Let's hope you're wrong lol.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Now that I’ve served my week off, time for my draft review/rant.

3/83
    The pick: Orlando Brown, Jr., OT, Oklahoma

The rant: Triple UGH. Anyone that’s followed the draft threads knows how I feel about this guy. Slow-footed, clumsy, lacking punch, strong indications of terrible work ethic/dedication to his craft. He’s the reason I had to take a posting hiatus. At this point, it’s as if Ozzie read my posts and was like (“Hey, fuck this guy, let’s ruin his weekend”). I think the odds are better that he’s 420 and out of football at the end of his rookie deal rather than a contributor.
    Sorry for your ruined weekend!

As I read this an image of Ozzie came to mind with him laughing and saying, "Look how hard I'm trolling Miz."

And I am still wiping my drink off the laptop. Thanks for a boost to my Monday.

Not sure why Lamar Jackson lacks the ability to move beyond one read. Petrino’s offense routinely required him to make multiple reads and there’s a bunch of film of him moving through a progression and using his scrambling ability to buy more time to get the ball down the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://theundefeated.com/features/la...ts-the-chance/

Required reading. Particularly the section on him being pro-ready. Excerpt:

“One of the critiques is that he’s a spread-offense quarterback, which doesn’t make sense at all,” said Chris Brown, the author of The Art of Smart Football. “He played for a former NFL head coach and offensive coordinator — they basically run Tom Coughlin’s offense.” (Petrino was an assistant to Coughlin in Jacksonville.) Last season, Jackson threw about 15 percent of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, a lower percentage than any of the top quarterbacks in the draft. Jackson didn’t have the same array of quick, easy reads as, say, Deshaun Watson, who actually did operate a spread offense at Clemson.

Jackson’s face-off with Watson in 2016, which Clemson won 42-36, offers a wide-ranging look at the quarterback’s tools. Throughout the game, Jackson demonstrated an ability to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions, even as his offensive line collapsed. He made one of his more stunning throws late in the third quarter, with less than two minutes left. Jackson took a snap out of shotgun, scanned the defense and saw Clemson had switched from single high coverage to Cover 2, using two safeties to patrol each half of the field. He trained his vision on the middle of the field to keep one of them from straying too far wide, then whipped to his right and fired a 22-yard pass to a receiver running a go route, zipping it perfectly into the space he created with his eyes.

Louisville’s offense, said Brent Venables, Clemson’s defensive coordinator, is “as pro style as you’re gonna get in this day and age.” He praises Jackson’s discipline and decision-making, calling the quarterback as talented as anyone he’s seen. “He made a lot of good, quick decisions with accuracy and poise,” he said. “He’s deadly when he gets into a rhythm.”

Jackson has been criticized for fleeing the pocket, but in play after play against Clemson, he still waits patiently behind his line. When he escapes and scrambles for 38 yards in the fourth quarter, it’s only after he’s checked all three of his receivers (such scrambles aren’t terribly common; 73 percent of his career runs were designed).

Think of the probable timeline of L Jackson:

He may sit behind Flacco for two seasons. Maybe he'll step in for Flacco in week 16 or 17 of 2019.
    Unless L Jackson is a total bust, Flacco will be out of here after the 2019 season, if not the 2018 season, but in this scenario he at least makes it to 2019.
    L Jackson, with his natural ability and with two years to sit takes the league by storm in 2020, getting Pro Bowl nods and leading us to the play-offs. He'll always miss 1-4 games a year though.
    We sign him to a long-term deal after year 4. Low on guarantees but high in salary.
    He gives us 6-7 years as a starter, but he can't escape his injuries.

I'd say that in that highly probable scenario, it was a 32nd overall pick well spent. If he was a top 5 pick, I may have expected a longer term starter, but we all know what we have here. We probably won't have to address the QB situation with a first round pick for 8-10 years. Although I could see us taking mid round picks just to back-up L Jackson up.

Blog Entries

I dont think you can sit someone for 2 years in todays league. Jackson will be the statting QB for the Ravens in 2019.

Blog Entries

I agree with a lot of what you wrote Miz

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I dont think you can sit someone for 2 years in todays league. Jackson will be the statting QB for the Ravens in 2019.
    Hello, Aaron Rodgers? Probably the best developed QB in the last 10 years. Sat many years behind Favre. Was a Jeff Tedford QB, and Tedford QBs always failed before Rodgers, really. In this case, he had enough time to learn a pro offense and how being a pro in the league works.

Consider how Garrapalo is right now. Is he that way if he's drafted somewhere 3-4 years ago to be the starter, and is thrown to the wolves? hell no.

Sitting a guy is still the right move. its just most franchises are too desperate to do it. Flacco gives us that luxury for at least 1-2 years.

Blog Entries

Miz, my initial reaction to the draft was like yours UGH! I thought we had the chance at a top-10 player (Derwin James) but somehow passed to trade down twice to take Hurst? Plus, we didn't end up with one of the better WRs in a deep WR draft? After a night (or three) of sleep, I am now a little more hopeful. The thing that will make this draft a success will of course be how LJ develops. If he becomes our starting QB in 2019, and rejuvenates the offense, we may forget about the other mixed-bag of prospects the 2018 NFL draft brought us... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    http://theundefeated.com/features/la...ts-the-chance/

Required reading. Particularly the section on him being pro-ready. Excerpt:

“One of the critiques is that he’s a spread-offense quarterback, which doesn’t make sense at all,” said Chris Brown, the author of The Art of Smart Football. “He played for a former NFL head coach and offensive coordinator — they basically run Tom Coughlin’s offense.” (Petrino was an assistant to Coughlin in Jacksonville.) Last season, Jackson threw about 15 percent of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, a lower percentage than any of the top quarterbacks in the draft. Jackson didn’t have the same array of quick, easy reads as, say, Deshaun Watson, who actually did operate a spread offense at Clemson.

Jackson’s face-off with Watson in 2016, which Clemson won 42-36, offers a wide-ranging look at the quarterback’s tools. Throughout the game, Jackson demonstrated an ability to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions, even as his offensive line collapsed. He made one of his more stunning throws late in the third quarter, with less than two minutes left. Jackson took a snap out of shotgun, scanned the defense and saw Clemson had switched from single high coverage to Cover 2, using two safeties to patrol each half of the field. He trained his vision on the middle of the field to keep one of them from straying too far wide, then whipped to his right and fired a 22-yard pass to a receiver running a go route, zipping it perfectly into the space he created with his eyes.

Louisville’s offense, said Brent Venables, Clemson’s defensive coordinator, is “as pro style as you’re gonna get in this day and age.” He praises Jackson’s discipline and decision-making, calling the quarterback as talented as anyone he’s seen. “He made a lot of good, quick decisions with accuracy and poise,” he said. “He’s deadly when he gets into a rhythm.”

Jackson has been criticized for fleeing the pocket, but in play after play against Clemson, he still waits patiently behind his line. When he escapes and scrambles for 38 yards in the fourth quarter, it’s only after he’s checked all three of his receivers (such scrambles aren’t terribly common; 73 percent of his career runs were designed).

Nice selective biasing by the writers there. Watch the game. Jackson did very little with his arm. it was his legs, all his legs, that kept them in that game.

How about watching a more experienced Jackson against Clemson this past season? Repeatedly panicked in the pocket, couldn't hit a house parked in the middle of the field, did nothing until garbage time against third stringers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Nice selective biasing by the writers there. Watch the game. Jackson did very little with his arm. it was his legs, all his legs, that kept them in that game.

How about watching a more experienced Jackson against Clemson this past season? Repeatedly panicked in the pocket, couldn't hit a house parked in the middle of the field, did nothing until garbage time against third stringers.
    They address that game in the article too...

“But his lack of accuracy shows up in the tape. In Louisville’s 2017 matchup with Clemson, arguably the best defense in college football, Jackson completed just 50 percent of his 42 passes. He missed open receivers, especially early in the game, and struggled with footwork and mechanics.

For quarterback prospects, a 60 percent completion percentage is something of a Mendoza Line, so Jackson’s ratio gives scouts and analysts pause (it seems to be less of a concern when it comes to Allen, who is reportedly being considered for the No. 1 pick despite his 56.3 percent rate last season). But former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Matt Hasselbeck says accuracy can improve, pointing to himself and Alex Smith as examples of passers whose precision grew sharper over time. “Lamar’s accuracy is flawed because of his final step, which can be fixed,” he said.

It’s not uncommon for mobile quarterbacks to struggle with accuracy, perhaps because they’ve grown accustomed to leaning on their legs. But Jackson “doesn’t need to be as accurate because of his mobility,” Hasselbeck said. Instead of checking down on broken plays, he can use his feet to pick up yards. In response, coordinators will avoid man coverage, and certain defenders will have to hover closer to the line — which should open up larger passing windows for the young quarterback.”