Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Steelers used to. I’d say Cards did with Ariens. Other than that ...don’t know. Their whole system works. And it’s always late draft picks or trades for players too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Panthers also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You guys are missing the point. Yes, half the QBs were cheap, and that helps. But ALL of them were good QBs.

Brandon Weeden is on his rookie deal. He hasn’t won shit. Why? Because he’s not good.

And because of the fact that everyone knows you need to have a good QB — 100% of the time — to win a Super Bowl, then those guys are expensive.

So in 2013, we could have gone with this plan and decided not to pay Joe. And we could have decided to draft one of the top 3 QBs in the draft instead: EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, or Geno Smith. So yay. We would have a QB in his rookie deal. Championship, right?

"Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    You guys are missing the point. Yes, half the QBs were cheap, and that helps. But ALL of them were good QBs.

Brandon Weeden is on his rookie deal. He hasn’t won shit. Why? Because he’s not good.

And because of the fact that everyone knows you need to have a good QB — 100% of the time — to win a Super Bowl, then those guys are expensive.

So in 2013, we could have gone with this plan and decided not to pay Joe. And we could have decided to draft one of the top 3 QBs in the draft instead: EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, or Geno Smith. So yay. We would have a QB in his rookie deal. Championship, right?

Goff looked like a bust 12 months ago, having an environment where they will be put in a position to succeed matters more than any characteristic of the prospect. Not that I think any team is winning a Super Bowl with Weeden or Manuel, but the Rams are a Super Bowl favorite because they trusted their scouting and coaching and have surrounded Goff with a bananas team versus thinking they had to bring in another QB. Eagles and Rams are the blueprint, I expect the Chiefs to finally win a playoff game following it.

I feel like everyone that disagrees is either “That didn’t work for the Browns” or “The Patriots were able to make 3 Super Bowls” without starting a rookie at QB, but the Browns front office and coaching staff never both believe in the QB for 2 straight years and Brady takes 60% what he’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    Goff looked like a bust 12 months ago, having an environment where they will be put in a position to succeed matters more than any characteristic of the prospect. Not that I think any team is winning a Super Bowl with Weeden or Manuel, but the Rams are a Super Bowl favorite because they trusted their scouting and coaching and have surrounded Goff with a bananas team versus thinking they had to bring in another QB. Eagles and Rams are the blueprint, I expect the Chiefs to finally win a playoff game following it.

I feel like everyone that disagrees is either “That didn’t work for the Browns” or “The Patriots were able to make 3 Super Bowls” without starting a rookie at QB, but the Browns front office and coaching staff never both believe in the QB for 2 straight years and Brady takes 60% what he’s worth.
    To say that Brady plays at 60% of his worth is just a false narrative. His Cap Hot has stayed pretty steady around 14mil the last 7-8 yrs. during that time he got $30 million dollar signing bonus and multiple roster bonuses. The Patriots were realistic with his contracts. As a group they paid him his money but structured the deal to benefit them both to make other moves. The Ravens could have done the same with Joe but didn’t. Why?? We as fans will never know. The Patriots also draft and sign players that fit their system which hasn’t changed for 2 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post

Goff didn't look like a bust.. he looked like any rookie QB would taking over a terrible team midseason.

goff was terrible, reprots were coming out that he was confused at practice too.
    his preaseason numbrs were atrocious

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    goff was terrible, reprots were coming out that he was confused at practice too.
    his preaseason numbrs were atrocious
    Reports also came out that Perriman was snatching ninja stars out of the 4th dimension

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Reports also came out that Perriman was snatching ninja stars out of the 4th dimension
    He was widely thought of as a bust he looked that terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    He was widely thought of as a bust he looked that terrible.

Calling a rookie a bust is just way too early

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    A look at the stats shows that between 1996 and this past year only 4 teams that paid their QBs 10% or more of the cap have won the Super Bowl. Indy and Denver with Peyton Manning, the Giants with Eli, and NE once with Brady.
    The game has changed a lot since 1996. Illegal contact wasn't emphasized back then. You still have safeties as true enforcers just murdering receivers on the field. There was a lot more man coverage because you could effectively play Man coverage without seeing a hanky every minute

In the modern NFL post about 2004, offense is King and your QB is the straw that stirs the drink

The Ravens 2000 defense couldn't dominate now like they did then even with the same Talent. What it was doing just wouldn't translate as well to this current ruleset

And so yeah, it's nice to not pay a QB when he's on his rookie deal. But when you find one, you do pay him. The thing the Ozzy didn't do what's around our paid quarterback with the weapons necessary for the offense to carry the team

We paid a franchise quarterback, and then still wanted to when defense first. That is just stupid in this era

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Calling a rookie a bust is just way too early
    Yes I agree, but they certainly were

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Yes I agree, but they certainly were

Fisher effect.