Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That also means that 6 didn't
    11 of 12 won with a QB on a rookie deal or one of the top 4 QBs of all time. It's easier to find a rookie QB than one of the top 4 QBs of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    11 of 12 won with a QB on a rookie deal or one of the top 4 QBs of all time. It's easier to find a rookie QB than one of the top 4 QBs of all time.
    Lamar get ready!!!

Problem is that every team is so obsessed with keeping their qb they are willing to cripple their cap for years going forwards. Now the new norm is 30 million a year for qb going forward. It’s insane. Wonder how long before some GM figures out you only need to tank one year out of five to get and keep a qb on a rookie deal?

If a team just guys it’s roster every four years, dumps Capp like crazy and ends up with top two draft picks for two years you should be able to be a contender by the third year unless you are Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Problem is that every team is so obsessed with keeping their qb they are willing to cripple their cap for years going forwards. Now the new norm is 30 million a year for qb going forward. It’s insane. Wonder how long before some GM figures out you only need to tank one year out of five to get and keep a qb on a rookie deal?

If a team just guys it’s roster every four years, dumps Capp like crazy and ends up with top two draft picks for two years you should be able to be a contender by the third year unless you are Cleveland.
    The Browns are the inverse of NE they also bust trends.

But yeah I've been arguing with other Ravens fans for years about this. It isn't hard to find someone to replace Flacco production there is no reason why he should have been our qb the last three years we should have been drafting and grooming a replacement qb much earlier.

But Ozzie is too damn loyal and overvalues continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's a model I'd like to see a team follow, and maybe some are. Continually draft a new QB and move your guy when he gets to the 5th year.

And by the way, look at the defense of the past few SB winners - almost always top 10
    The offenses are nearly always top 12 as well tho.

The teams that have had instability at QB havent typically done well. The browns, Cards, Bears, NYJ, SF have all been relatively lack luster.

I think you need a balanced team, and its easier to do when you have a consistent philosophy and scheme and draft players that fit said scheme.... its why its so important to have a GM and HC who are on the same page
    Burn it down

What a weird thread. 1/2 of Superbowl appearances in recent memory have rookie-deal QBs. So . . . 1/2 don't. I'm not sure if this proves anything other than that there are a few ways to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    What a weird thread. 1/2 of Superbowl appearances in recent memory have rookie-deal QBs. So . . . 1/2 don't. I'm not sure if this proves anything other than that there are a few ways to skin a cat.
    8 teams had QBs on rookie deals start half the season. 3 of those made their conference championship. So 37.5% of teams with QBs on rookie deals, made the conference championship. 4% of teams with QBs on subsequent contracts made their conference championship game, and that was New England with their QB taking a large discount.

Blog Entries

Qbs are starting to get massively overvalued cap wise. It’s nuts that a qb like Matt Ryan is taking up almost 17% of his teams cap. We all know qbs are important but there are also 52 other guys to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Re: 6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    QBs making an obscene amount of money make the entire team unbalanced.

People act like QBs win championships and not teams and thats why you see them credited so heavily and measured by their Superbowls.. look at our own failures since giving Joe that tremendous deal.
    I know. I get so tired of reading "Joe did this, Joe did that" (all by himself!!). Or...."Joe outplayed Brady". Yet, they were never on the field at the same time (it's a miracle!!). Just shows some fans don't have one spare brain cell to rub against another. Yes, QB's are way overpaid and overhyped. And people wonder why fans are being turned off in droves. As if they need yet another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Qbs are starting to get massively overvalued cap wise. It’s nuts that a qb like Matt Ryan is taking up almost 17% of his teams cap. We all know qbs are important but there are also 52 other guys to pay.

What do you mean a QB like Matt Ryan? Now I’m no Ryan fan but that cat has put up the numbers that the “new fans “ all want. He’s done the ProBowl , been to a Super Bowl and won a league MVP? Let’s be real ...dudes a stud QB. He’s the face of the franchise. And he came into a pretty shitty situation there in ATL if you’ll recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Re: 6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post

A look at the stats shows that between 1996 and this past year only 4 teams that paid their QBs 10% or more of the cap have won the Super Bowl. Indy and Denver with Peyton Manning, the Giants with Eli, and NE once with Brady.

Blog Entries

6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    What do you mean a QB like Matt Ryan? Now I’m no Ryan fan but that cat has put up the numbers that the “new fans “ all want. He’s done the ProBowl , been to a Super Bowl and won a league MVP? Let’s be real ...dudes a stud QB. He’s the face of the franchise. And he came into a pretty shitty situation there in ATL if you’ll recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He earned his contract with a mvp season. I’m just saying any qb getting that much is crazy. And Aaron Rodgers deal is next and you know he’ll get more.