Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Of the last 12 Super Bowl participants, 6 had QBs on rookie deals, 3 were New England with the massively underpaid Brady, 2 were Denver with Peyton (Von Miller on rookie deal helped), and the outlier is Atlanta with Matt Ryan (though they did manage to get 15.5 sacks out of Beasley on a rookie deal). 2 of the 4 participants in Championship Sunday last season had starting QBs on rookie deals, and the Vikings would have if Bridgewater hadn't suffered that injury. Bucky Brooks called it the cheat code - surrounding your rookie QB with high end talent and trying to compete for a championship by their 2nd year. The Chiefs dumped Alex Smith not because they think Fuller is a Pro Bowl CB but because they think bringing in Sammy Watkins opens a championship window until they have to pay Mahomes. The Texans tried to bring in Romo after clearing Osweiler's salary, this offseason they've brought in a bunch of guys. The Bears brought in Allen Robinson, Trey Burton, and Taylor Gabriel, and Trubisky hasn't shown me shit. When I see people posting "Why not Flacco in 2019?" I feel that they want to shoot for 10-6. Unless it's very clear Lamar isn't ready for the starting job, sticking with Flacco with an $18.5M base salary shortens the championship window that having a starting QB on a rookie contract affords.

Blog Entries

Re: 6 of last 12 Super Bowl participants had starting QBs on rookie deals

Agreed. I think a QB on the rookie deal will be the new model

QBs making an obscene amount of money make the entire team unbalanced.

People act like QBs win championships and not teams and thats why you see them credited so heavily and measured by their Superbowls.. look at our own failures since giving Joe that tremendous deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    QBs making an obscene amount of money make the entire team unbalanced.

People act like QBs win championships and not teams and thats why you see them credited so heavily and measured by their Superbowls.. look at our own failures since giving Joe that tremendous deal.
    QBs are the most important position on the entire team tho... Unless you literally line up the 2000 Ravens Defense again, your not winning without a QB playing good-great. I mean I guess the steelers did it Jens rookie year, but it took a defender getting stabbed in the leg prior to the game and a hook and ladder play from a former QB playing WR
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    QBs are the most important position on the entire team tho... Unless you literally line up the 2000 Ravens Defense again, your not winning without a QB playing good-great. I mean I guess the steelers did it Jens rookie year, but it took a defender getting stabbed in the leg prior to the game and a hook and ladder play from a former QB playing WR
    If all you have is a QB then whats that do you? The Eagles won with Foles.. a backup. The only ones that should be making a ridiculous amount of money are those with ridiculous talent.

It's funny to me that Brady makes so much less than what he should be and it's because of the income that he gets from endorsements.. but even then money is money and he can make even more plus his endorsements elsewhere? He cares a ton about his legacy and his place in NFL history.. knowing damn well if he leaves Belichick he could get exposed by the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    If all you have is a QB then whats that do you? The Eagles won with Foles.. a backup. The only ones that should be making a ridiculous amount of money are those with ridiculous talent.

It's funny to me that Brady makes so much less than what he should be and it's because of the income that he gets from endorsements.. but even then money is money and he can make even more plus his endorsements elsewhere? He cares a ton about his legacy and his place in NFL history.. knowing damn well if he leaves Belichick he could get exposed by the scheme.
    Foles still played good-great in the superbowl tho. You need big time play in the playoffs 90 - 95% of the time from your QB... I dont think consistently relying on players in years 1-5 is a recipe that GMs will subscribe to
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Foles still played good-great in the superbowl tho. You need big time play in the playoffs 90 - 95% of the time from your QB... I dont think consistently relying on players in years 1-5 is a recipe that GMs will subscribe to
    Yea and that big time play comes from big time QBs

But when they don't? Its usually a team like you saw in Denver.

Blog Entries

That also means that 6 didn't

Blog Entries

It's a model I'd like to see a team follow, and maybe some are. Continually draft a new QB and move your guy when he gets to the 5th year.

And by the way, look at the defense of the past few SB winners - almost always top 10

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That also means that 6 didn't
    The Patriots throw trends out the window

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's a model I'd like to see a team follow, and maybe some are. Continually draft a new QB and move your guy when he gets to the 5th year.

And by the way, look at the defense of the past few SB winners - almost always top 10
    Some team just has to have the balls to do it. Honestly I don't think they do because the QB is the player they build the brand around. I was watching the new All or Nothing on Amazon and they spend a good amount of time with Charlotte Jones who is the Chief Brand Officer for the Cowboys. Dak Prescott isn't just about a chance to win but a guy they can build the Cowboys brand around. Yesterday Arthur Blank was on Sirius and he said that Matt Ryan was the face of the franchise.

If you built all that up it's not so easy to walk away from. There is more than just winning in these decisions. A guy who can sell jerseys and promote the brand of your team is someone the business owners who run these teams are going to want to keep even if the football people don't agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The Patriots throw trends out the window
    Bingo.