Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Derwin James would have been the pick at 16.

I believe they broke this down to say it was Hurst, Andrews, Young, Lasley, Senat and Bozeman > James.

when all is said and done they still might not add up to what James gives you as a possible perennial all pro. BPA... except this year. This year we decided the draft was deep enough that getting a lot of mid/late round picks were going to create more stars than drafting one of the top 5 players in this draft. Thats just an asinine concept. the ability to hit late is so rare in general, and were a team devoid of stars/playmakers. One falls into your lap and you go with quantity of quality. "lottery tickets" vs an investment. I think in 3 years well be calling this one of the biggest mistakes. Theyre admitting He was high on their board, higher than anybody else around, and still traded back. THats not how this team normally operates.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I genuinely believe that fan reaction played a role in the move down. Sure, for us message board guys, we know he's a good player and outstanding value at the pick, but your average Joe fan is just going to see another DB/defensive player. And that's not going to sell tickets and drum up interest within the fan base. To be clear, I'm not saying it was a deciding factor, but definitely think it played a role. As others have said, passing on this kind of talent at the position we were in is so anti-Ozzie I can't believe there wasn't something else behind it.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I don't mind trading down and missing out on James to get more picks. I just think they did it a few times too many. When they were at 65, Justin Reid was still on the board. When they were at 75, Michael Gallup was still on the board. Those are guys they passed up who eventually became Mark Andrews, Scott, Lasley, and Kenny Young.

Time will tell I suppose. But I'd have been happier if they handled the third round differently. An ideal draft would have been Hurst, Gallup, and Brown IMO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    The Ravens outsmarted themselves. They should have had a gameplan ready to trade up for Rosen if he fell. The Cards were able to trade up from 15 to get em so I know we could have from 16.. just giving a tad more.
    I like Rosen but I get that fact that he is divisive. Not every team is going to want someone with that personality. It's not like he fell to #16. I'm okay with them not trading up for him, even though I would have.

James though is different. That's just a no-brainer kind of pick. He fell into your lap and the GM in waiting is now coming out and saying he would have picked him. That's not good

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I genuinely believe that fan reaction played a role in the move down. Sure, for us message board guys, we know he's a good player and outstanding value at the pick, but your average Joe fan is just going to see another DB/defensive player. And that's not going to sell tickets and drum up interest within the fan base. To be clear, I'm not saying it was a deciding factor, but definitely think it played a role. As others have said, passing on this kind of talent at the position we were in is so anti-Ozzie I can't believe there wasn't something else behind it.
    If that was really their thinking, wouldn’t they have paid for one of the big name WR’s in FA? I’m sure one of Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins or even Landry would have sufficed for such a WR starved fanbase.

Not to mention Hurst isn’t exactly a sexy pick either. If they were really that worried about ticket sales they would have picked the glamorous players like Moore or Ridley.

I'd have taken James. I think this is going to be a trade we look back on in 5 years and kick oursevles in the ass.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I like Rosen but I get that fact that he is divisive. Not every team is going to want someone with that personality. It's not like he fell to #16. I'm okay with them not trading up for him, even though I would have.

James though is different. That's just a no-brainer kind of pick. He fell into your lap and the GM in waiting is now coming out and saying he would have picked him. That's not good
    James falling to 16 just seems like such a classic Ozzie snag too. Really sucks.

I like Hurst a lot, but James has the tools to be an elite safety.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Look, you have to draft for need at a certain point. James is going to be a really good pro but if the status quo is still the offense being a fucking dumpster with no talent it doesn't matter if we have Earl Thomas and Eric Berry back there. I bet most of you guys banging on the Derwin James drum now in hindsight would've lost your shit on draft night and said "This front office doesn't fucking get it, the offense still sucks, how do you spend another 1st round pick on a safety when 2 of our highest paid players are our safeties!?!?!"

The fit made little sense, we committed a ton of money to Weddle/Jefferson, we made that bed, we gotta sleep in it. Offense needed help badly, I like how we handled things.
    The whole reason we got Ray Lewis, JO, Ed Reed, Todd Heap, Terrell Suggs and all the great Ravens is because they stuck to their board and didn't go need. Suggs when you have Boulware? Heap when you have Sharpe? Ozzie standing up to the owner of the team and insisting on JO instead of Lawrence Phillips. These are the great stories that this franchise is built on. You don't just throw that out for a middling 25 year old TE prospect when you have a shot at a top guy.

You're really going to not take Derwin James because of 33 year old Weddle and a the overpaid Jefferson? Play all 3 for a year like when you had Suggs and Boulware or Heap and Sharpe. Trade or cut Weddle and gain $4.75 million if you want. Weddle who at best will only be here through 2019 and more likely be gone after 2018 isn't a reason to not draft a guy who could start for you for a decade. This was a big mistake and in 2 years it's going to be talked about like Elam and trading down to get Kindle and Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal55 View Post
    If that was really their thinking, wouldn’t they have paid for one of the big name WR’s in FA? I’m sure one of Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins or even Landry would have sufficed for such a WR starved fanbase.

Not to mention Hurst isn’t exactly a sexy pick either. If they were really that worried about ticket sales they would have picked the glamorous players like Moore or Ridley.
    Though they didn't pay at big #1. They did pay 3 guys who are now going to be the top 3.

When you consider that and the fact that we drafted 2 TE's in the first 3 rounds I can really see what Bhc is getting at. Not an off theory IMO.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So what you are telling me is moving up from the 5th round to the 3rd round was better than James. That's very depressing.
    GOTA... you're forgetting the most important part of our drafting strategy... VALUE
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If they really wanted James, they would have taken him. Same for D.J. Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ozzie is still the GM for this year.

DeCosta may have said his piece, but still got overruled for the value aspect of trading down.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'd have taken James. I think this is going to be a trade we look back on in 5 years and kick oursevles in the ass.
    Hurst Maybe out of the league by 5 years, Derwin James might be an all pro x 3 by then
    Burn it down