Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Derwin James would have been the pick at 16.

So says Eric DeCosta. He says that if the Ravens didn't trade down, James would have been the pick.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Derwin James would have been the pick at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So says Eric DeCosta. He says that if the Ravens didn't trade down, James would have been the pick.
    If they really wanted James, they would have taken him. Same for D.J. Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post

There is no way on God's green earth they didn't know Moore would go to Carolina. Carolina has a Quarterback who likes to go deep. They are lacking in vertical pass catchers. Norv Turner is calling plays. They just signed Torrey Smith.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

There is no way on God's green earth they didn't know Moore would go to Carolina. Carolina has a Quarterback who likes to go deep. They are lacking in vertical pass catchers. Norv Turner is calling plays. They just signed Torrey Smith.
    DJ Moore isn't a vertical pass catcher. His worst plays at MD were go routes. This is also reflected in his scouting report:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.j.-m...d-ce270f370fe4

Doesn't play with consistent vertical push

Relatively ineffective working downfield

Disappointing win percentage on 50-50 balls

I feel even if Moore was available, they'd have still taken Hurst. They needed a TE in the worst way and there was plenty of his round WR talent. Eric even mentioned that historically, first round TEs pan out much more often than first round WRs.

I don't mind the trading back and missing out on Derwin or Moore so much. My issue though is with who we took or passed up on. We traded down from 65 to 75 when Justin Reid was still on the board. We traded from 75 to 86 when Michael Gallup and DaeSean Hamilton were still on the board. I think at some point the trading back went overboard. Also not happy they passed on Ito Smith to take a DB.

For me, the ideal draft would have been:

22: DJ Moore or Hayden Hurst
    32: Lamar Jackson
    65: Justin Reid
    83: Orlando Brown
    118: Ito Smith
    Last edited by Ravenalytics; 05-03-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries

So what you are telling me is moving up from the 5th round to the 3rd round was better than James. That's very depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post

Agreed. They wanted hurst and LJ.. plain and simple.

They probably did not expect James to even be there and they signed 3 receivers so they didn't have to draft one high, guaranteed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Agreed. They wanted hurst and LJ.. plain and simple.

They probably did not expect James to even be there and they signed 3 receivers so they didn't have to draft one high, guaranteed.
    The Broncos didn't expect Chubb to be there at #5. They even had a trade set up with the Bills. Chubb was there and Elway called the Bills and said 'sorry, deal is off'. That's what you do when a superior talent falls into your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Broncos didn't expect Chubb to be there at #5. They even had a trade set up with the Bills. Chubb was there and Elway called the Bills and said 'sorry, deal is off'. That's what you do when a superior talent falls into your lap.
    The Ravens outsmarted themselves. They should have had a gameplan ready to trade up for Rosen if he fell. The Cards were able to trade up from 15 to get em so I know we could have from 16.. just giving a tad more.

Well, I'm glad he and I agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    The Ravens outsmarted themselves. They should have had a gameplan ready to trade up for Rosen if he fell. The Cards were able to trade up from 15 to get em so I know we could have from 16.. just giving a tad more.
    I liked Rosen, but I'm still ok with what we did. Although I wonder the significance of even making these comments, you would think he was just all about LJ

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So what you are telling me is moving up from the 5th round to the 3rd round was better than James. That's very depressing.
    Isn't it?

I wanted Edmunds.
    Younger than Hurst
    More athletically dynamic than Hurst.
    Plays a more valuable position than Hurst.
    Plays a position with a cupboard almost as bare as Hurst's.

Hurst is a one-contract player. He will peak before his contract expires. The team will be looking to improve upon him sometime during, not after but during, his contract.

When Hurst is 30 and declining Edmunds is 25 and still climbing.

I just can't imagine Ozzie and Phil making that move. On one hand are a 25 year old Todd Heap (he was actually 21 when drafted) and third round pick. On the other hand, 20 year old Terrell Suggs. Ozzie and Phil take Suggs over and over again.

The case for James is harder because of Jefferson's contract. But you still take the better player.

By selecting Hurst they opted for, say, a 6% return on a principle of $500; with Edmunds or James they could have had a 5% return on a principle of $1,000. Six is greater than five so they took Hurst. (Shaking head)