Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Orioles discussion

they bad, they all the way

Tillman- shouldn't even be a big league pitcher. An ERA over 11 is unheard of.
    Matusz- Never happened
    Britton- in hindsight should have traded him
    Arrietta- trade him for peanuts, becomes someone else's ace
    Bundy- still hope
    Gausman- no consistency

Who else? At one time or another all these guys were viewed as potential front line starters.

O's unshakable allegiance to certain non-performing players is stupefying.

Allowing Mike Wright to throw another pitch in the majors is stupefying.

Allowing Chris Tillman (bless him) to throw another pitch in the majors is stupefying.

Submitting a lineup half of which cannot hit .200 is stupefying.

This season is likely to be ....

O's need Plank as owner

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Matusz- Never happened
    Bundy- still hope
    Gausman- no consistency

Who else? At one time or another all these guys were viewed as potential front line starters.
    It was impressive to see what Britton became when he moved into the closer role, so unexpected but I don't think he returns to form and agree they should have sold high on him.

Watching Arietta become what he became with the Cubs was maddening because we were and still are in search of a dominant ace and to know that he was right under our noses, I dont understand why he was so terrible as an Oriole then a year later he is the best pitcher in baseball for a few seasons (clayton Kershaw not withstanding).

Gausman will never be more than a what if with potential. There's Hunter Harvey but I suspect he isnt much different than Gausman.

Tillman I loved a few years ago when he was the defacto ace and grinded put 15 plus wins a year for us but you knew the wheels would come off of him eventually. He exceeded all expectations for several years and thats commendable but he's done as a starting pitcher.

Bundy is our legit shot at having an ace as long as he stays healthy. And he needs some damn run support. But he is the only one I'm excited about on the orioles. But they should still stop trying to sign guys like cashner and cobb like they will become aces (although cashner hasnt been too bad).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    It was impressive to see what Britton became when he moved into the closer role, so unexpected but I don't think he returns to form and agree they should have sold high on him.

Watching Arietta become what he became with the Cubs was maddening because we were and still are in search of a dominant ace and to know that he was right under our noses, I dont understand why he was so terrible as an Oriole then a year later he is the best pitcher in baseball for a few seasons (clayton Kershaw not withstanding).

Gausman will never be more than a what if with potential. There's Hunter Harvey but I suspect he isnt much different than Gausman.

Tillman I loved a few years ago when he was the defacto ace and grinded put 15 plus wins a year for us but you knew the wheels would come off of him eventually. He exceeded all expectations for several years and thats commendable but he's done as a starting pitcher.

Bundy is our legit shot at having an ace as long as he stays healthy. And he needs some damn run support. But he is the only one I'm excited about on the orioles. But they should still stop trying to sign guys like cashner and cobb like they will become aces (although cashner hasnt been too bad).
    Yeah. Mike Mussina was a LONG time ago to find a true ace, and of course the Orioles botched that in true cheapskate fashion. To their credit, they got quite the haul for Erik Bedard, but I never really saw him as an ace.

The Orioles have bad pitching. You won't win at any level with bad pitching. Full stop.

Offensively, they are too much of a power hitting team. You need guys that can get on base consistently (via hit or patience at the plate to take a walk). Those hitters help even out the inevitable slumps that the power bats are going to go through from time-to-time.

The Chris Davis contract looks to be the worst contract in team history: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore...is-davis-5397/

Note how $43M is deferred (classic Angelos) until after 2022 and that they will be paying him $3.5M from 2023-2032 and $1.4M a year up to 2037...when I am 71 (if I make it that far)....that just blows my mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Matusz- Never happened
    Bundy- still hope
    Gausman- no consistency

That group was almost the entire core of the last rebuild attempt, from a pitching perspective.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    The Orioles have bad pitching. You won't win at any level with bad pitching. Full stop.

Offensively, they are too much of a power hitting team. You need guys that can get on base consistently (via hit or patience at the plate to take a walk). Those hitters help even out the inevitable slumps that the power bats are going to go through from time-to-time.

The Chris Davis contract looks to be the worst contract in team history: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore...is-davis-5397/

Note how $43M is deferred (classic Angelos) until after 2022 and that they will be paying him $3.5M from 2023-2032 and $1.4M a year up to 2037...when I am 71 (if I make it that far)....that just blows my mind.
    Whats frustrating is for how many seasons they have tried to get by in being a power team. They have known for years now that they had to improve on their small ball and have refused to do it (its why they lost the ALCS in 2014). I love Buck and would like to have seen him at least get this team to the WS but the best chance of that has passed. I truly don't know where they go from here and its not like they have prospects in the minors. I hope they make some trades for some young guys but nobody is trading for Davis, Machado is done after this year so it's not like they will get anything great in a mid season trade for him. And they have no pitching that any team would trade prospects for. They mortgaged the future for attempting to be competitive the last few seasons, which on one hand is nice to see because of the many many seasons that they were non competitive but I worry that another spell like that may be on the horizon

Blog Entries

sounds to me O's can't generate no runs, pitching seem to inconsistent but better than last year this time from what I gather but the bats are juts not there, they are like what 11 games out of st place in the AL east with all those teams? O's done already bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    sounds to me O's can't generate no runs, pitching seem to inconsistent but better than last year this time from what I gather but the bats are juts not there, they are like what 11 games out of st place in the AL east with all those teams? O's done already bruh.
    I think they are too. I had been drinking the black and orange kool aid thinking that since their starting pitching improved on paper that they were going to be pretty good. I've since dumped out the kool aid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    I think they are too. I had been drinking the black and orange kool aid thinking that since their starting pitching improved on paper that they were going to be pretty good. I've since dumped out the kool aid.
    yea O's sound over-match in a beast of a division with the Yanks and Red-Sox. They paid Cobb all this money and it's still early he might find his arm after a couple games, but the bats are just not there, and all this hype of Machado moving to short stop and he hasn't done shit there yet, he might be better at 3rd base.