Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 474849

Re: OT: Orioles discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    So, now we know baseball = rocket science.
    Probably somewhere between rocket science, and the antiquated live and die by the three run homer philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    So, now we know baseball = rocket science.
    Mhmm. Two very good hires in Elias and Mejdal.

Haven’t been this excited in many years

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Haven’t been this excited in many years
    I am cautiously- very cautiously - optimistic. This old Oriole fan has been burned too many times by Angelos...maybe his sons are different...I guess we shall find out.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    I am cautiously- very cautiously - optimistic. This old Oriole fan has been burned too many times by Angelos...maybe his sons are different...I guess we shall find out.
    By all accounts, Elias is the real deal but you, the ownership, and the rest of the fan base will have to be very very patient.

MLB has leveled the talent acquisition process these past few years, which interestingly enough makes high draft picks even more valuable than they used to be. It's going to take a bunch of years drafting at the top to get talent. I also expext Elias to sign a few vets to one-year contracts to try to flip them for prospects at the deadline each year.

Elias knows that BOS's window with their current teams ends in 2-3 years and NYY is probably 3-5. I'm sure he's targeting five years to be back in contention. And I suspect one of the reasons he doesn't want to talk about his contract that he extracted seven to even ten years out of the Angelos brothers.

The sad part Elias has to do everything right for this to be 5-7 year process. That is how bad the ML roster. How bad the contract situation is with guys on the roster. How bad the farm is.

I hope he focuses on highschool kids and swings for the fences. It's not hard to sign 2 WAR ML anymore. Don't go with guys just because they are ML ready. We will see.

I believe this fanbase will be patient because now there seems to be a plan in place. There's also a new found investment into making this franchise successful. I mean before, they didn't spend on FA. They didn't spend on international players. They didn't spend on scouts. Now things are pointing in a positive direction. Even if they lose 100 again, I feel confident in this new regime's ability to draft new talent. Their track record says so.