Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone Coach in their Spare Time?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    He's an Ottawa guy too. Went to Merivale High School right in the city. He was a year older than me so I used to play against him every other year when he was a major and I was a minor through youth football (Brockville played in the Ottawa city league).

Really nice guy and a solid player for CFL standards. Does a lot in the community. Got talking to him after during the reception and he said he'd come out and do a clinic with my guys during a practice.
    That's awesome. Sounds like a fantastic time. Enjoy these moments Cole. They are the kind of things you never forget.

About 25 years ago I got to work with Mr. T on a project. One of the coolest dudes I ever met. I never would have thought he'd be that way since he was always a tough guy on TV and in the movies. To this day I can still remember him helping an old lady carry her groceries. No cameras or publicity. T saw someone who needed a hand and went over and gave it to her. I learned a lot from him that I still remember all these years later.

Those kids are going to love working with a CFL lineman. You can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's awesome. Sounds like a fantastic time. Enjoy these moments Cole. They are the kind of things you never forget.

About 25 years ago I got to work with Mr. T on a project. One of the coolest dudes I ever met. I never would have thought he'd be that way since he was always a tough guy on TV and in the movies. To this day I can still remember him helping an old lady carry her groceries. No cameras or publicity. T saw someone who needed a hand and went over and gave it to her. I learned a lot from him that I still remember all these years later.

Those kids are going to love working with a CFL lineman. You can't beat it.
    That's awesome dude and appreciate the encouragement.

First game in Burlington on May 13th. I'll keep a little update going.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    We just finished week 1 of camp. Making cuts next week and I had one of the kids parents come up to me and start asking me how many kids I'm cutting and where specifically their kid ranked in the cut down list lol.

I almost want to cut him just for that.
    One of the teams I coached basketball, my step son was about 11 at the time. HIs team went undefeated, one of the opposing teams parents in the playoffs came up and was complaining about one of my kids who was the best player I ever coached. He was far better than any other kid in our league and parents were so jealous. Well that parent was the #1 sponsor for the league and he made up lies saying my other coach was cursing in front of the kids which was a complete lie. This scumbag was also my boss's best friend which made it even more awkward. I knew the guy from around town just a complete douchebag. So the league told me I had to fire him well I wouldn't do it. So all my kids parents told them we would forfeit and never return to the league. The league was still ok with that decision so I went to our county park and recs department over and it shit hit the fan. We finished the season undefeated. In the championship game which we won the douchebags son got so worked up he was crying at the end because they lost, he got unsportsmanlike penalties and everything. Without a doubt one of the worst experiences ever coaching. My boss would constantly defend his dickhead friend and I didn't care. Of course my boss had hard feelings i didn't pick his son to be on my team when i selected players too but oh well.

sometimes parents can make it very unenjoyable. Just this year my sons team and these are 8 year olds. an opposing coach I had to report for acting like a fool, kicking the wall and screaming during games.

Indoor and outdoor soccer. Both of my daughter's teams each year. Coaching is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. I just may continue once my girls are out of sports and into college. I have not had any bad experiences with my team parents, I have been pretty lucky over the years. I have had experiences with other team's parents and some meathead coaches. I just don't get how people can act like they do at times. What do they think it is, the Internet?

Little update on the team I'm coaching:

Week 1: @Burlington - L 27-20: Drove down the morning of the game and I think it really killed the guys. We came out flat and made a lot of stupid fundamental errors. 3 fumbles in the first half (2 on our first 4 possessions). Yet we were still within a score. Got the ball back with 45 secodns, but the QB threw a pick to seal it. My OL played really bad. Burlington had 2 massive DT's and they ate up our interior. A lot of laziness though. The backside guards were taking plays off. We run an inside zone scheme and they were focusing too much on double teams when the box was stacked and werent peeling off to L2 so either the DT's were beating our guys or the LB's were runnign untouched to make the play.

Week 2: Vs. Niagara - W 36-3: Talk about a bounceback. We came out flat again which is concerning and it was 3-0 Niagara after the 1st Q but then they took off. Our QB had 2 rush TD's on bootleg runs. OL played incredibly well, but against inferior linemen. A lot of the problems from week 1 (too much doubling, not breaking off to L2) were fixed and they responded to the coaching last week during practice really well.

We play @ Mississauga on Saturday. They're 0-2 and have been outscored something like 78-6 in the first 2 weeks, but you should never underestimate your opponent. Hoping to get up early so we can work on some things we need ot improve.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB