Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Coach in their Spare Time?

Just thought I'd see if there was any interest in discussion coaching youth or high school ball.

This is my first season back in legit coaching since I was just out of highschool. I'm coaching the Cumberland Panthers in the Ontario Provincial Football League. Bantam varsity so it's 13-14 year olds. I'm the OL coach (god help those poor kids).

Anyone else into this?

It's a cool experience for me becuase even though it's mostly Canadian rules it's actually 4 downs which is fun. 12 guys on the field with 4 downs gets interesting.

MOD's - if this gets no traction you can just toss er in "Ye Olde Trash Heap"
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: Anyone Coach in their Spare Time?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Just thought I'd see if there was any interest in discussion coaching youth or high school ball.

This is my first season back in legit coaching since I was just out of highschool. I'm coaching the Cumberland Panthers in the Ontario Provincial Football League. Bantam varsity so it's 13-14 year olds. I'm the OL coach (god help those poor kids).

Anyone else into this?

It's a cool experience for me becuase even though it's mostly Canadian rules it's actually 4 downs which is fun. 12 guys on the field with 4 downs gets interesting.

MOD's - if this gets no traction you can just toss er in "Ye Olde Trash Heap"
    I coached my step sons baseketball team 6 seasons. HIs baseball team 2 seasons, his football team 1 season. His soccer team 1 season
    my daughters soccer team 1 season, my sons baseball team 1 season.

I just don't have the time to coach anymore. I just declined to coach my sons basketball team. I used to love it, still do but I work 60-70 hrs a week I just don't have the time. When I had 1 child it was easy. Now MY daughter is in Dance 30+ hours a week. My youngest only gets 1 sport lately

Its fun. But sometimes the parents are complete morons to have to deal with

Blog Entries

right on Cole! it will be a blast bud, and you will be great coach!

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    I coached my step sons baseketball team 6 seasons. HIs baseball team 2 seasons, his football team 1 season. His soccer team 1 season

I just don't have the time to coach anymore. I just declined to coach my sons basketball team. I used to love it, still do but I work 60-70 hrs a week I just don't have the time. When I had 1 child it was easy. Now MY daughter is in Dance 30+ hours a week. My youngest only gets 1 sport lately

We just finished week 1 of camp. Making cuts next week and I had one of the kids parents come up to me and start asking me how many kids I'm cutting and where specifically their kid ranked in the cut down list lol.

I almost want to cut him just for that.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Never have but I was considering getting into the scouting academy. Being a football scout would be my dream job but im skeptical as to how likely that would be.

They don't accept the Gi bill so that's a downer.

Coached my kids for years. It’s one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. Much like Saw I just don’t have time now. Parents are the worst part. Up here in Harford every parent thinks little Blake is the second coming of Jim Brown and Johnny U wrapped into one. I had one dad try and tell me his 185lb 13yr old needed to play QB. Um no Sir your big ass kid is gonna be my center or he’s not on my team. Lol. Enjoy the experience Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post

That's how I would feel I bet. Mothers whining about football practice being too rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Coached my kids for years. It’s one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. Much like Saw I just don’t have time now. Parents are the worst part. Up here in Harford every parent thinks little Blake is the second coming of Jim Brown and Johnny U wrapped into one. I had one dad try and tell me his 185lb 13yr old needed to play QB. Um no Sir your big ass kid is gonna be my center or he’s not on my team. Lol. Enjoy the experience Brother.
    Was that kid jamarcus russell. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Was that kid jamarcus russell. Lol.
    A cross between him and Sebastian Janokowski. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Re: Anyone Coach in their Spare Time?

I coached 5 years for the Baltimore Terps in West Baltimore, took the season off last year so I could enjoy watching my son coming into his own as a player and I'm back at it this coming fall. Some of the most rewarding experiences of my life involved coaching those kids. If you have the time and the will to do it, I recommend doing it especially if you love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Coached my kids for years. It’s one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. Much like Saw I just don’t have time now. Parents are the worst part.
    No offense, but parents coaching their own kid makes me wary. A parent on the sidelines can be every bit as bad as a parent in the stands - and sometimes worse because they have control.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    No offense, but parents coaching their own kid makes me wary. A parent on the sidelines can be every bit as bad as a parent in the stands - and sometimes worse because they have control.
    True. But when no other parent wants to step up and coach ....it was me. Never had the “my kid first attitude “. Sons or daughter. I coached boys lax and football after all mine were in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk