Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Wrestling Fans' Off-Season Thread

In regards to:

AJ vs Nakamura- I wasn't expecting a match like their WrestleKingdom match for two reasons. One, the WWE wouldn't let them do it. Two, neither of them has shown anything to lead you to believe they'd buck an agent and do it that way anyway or do the whole "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission" bit. A la, Undertaker and Mankind in the Hell in the Cell.

Asuka's streak: This is the problem with streaks. When you make wrestlers indestructible during streaks, you book yourself into a corner where you run out of people who could realistically end it. At least, in Asuka's case, the streak is not her gimmick. She works her character well. She's a great worker in the ring. Goldberg couldn't work. Couldn't talk. He hurt a lot of the wrestlers he got in the ring with. His case was even worse than Tatanka's. When you have a streak of that magnitude, it's not so simple as to just have anyone be developed and take it down.

The match itself: I did not see, but will this week, but my friend said something similar to a poster here. Charlotte hardly worked the legs the entire night and apparently had a shoulder injury. So, she couldn't even lock the move in good. Then, Asuka tapped very shortly after being in it. He didn't like that they had Charlotte end it, but the way he described it to me there's was hardly anyone else storyline wise good enough to do it.

Taker: When my friend told me he was actually going to wrestle, I had a feeling that it had to be a squash match, because Taker can't go anymore. I'm at least glad he went over.

The Kid winning the belt: I told my friend last night that Jim Cornette is going to blow a gasket when he fines out about this.

The main event: Now I understand why Jim Cornette shat on hardcore wrestling and kicking out of people's finishers for years. What he was trying to say is that it has to be done sparingly, so that it will continue to mean something special when it happens. When you spam it the way ECW did (Hardcore) or the way WWE does now (Kicking out of finishers), it gets old fast and means nothing. So it took five F-5s to take out Reigns, Brock kicked out of back to back spears, but the next time these two have big matches against anyone we're supposed to buy them going down after one finisher.

Furthermore, that match was so mundane that I can honestly say Hulk Hogan routinely did more moves in the ring than Reign and Lesnar combined. Which is sad, because Lesnar knows far more moves than the three-four he does.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ric Flair has said for years that his daughter is a much better athlete and could be a better wrestler than he was. I blew off those comments since a lot of fathers are proud of their kinds but he could be right. Her execution is on point and some of those moves are crazy
    The Spanish fly was insane Becky or shasha have zero chance of pulling that off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I still debate with fans over the Goldberg streak today. In the little comment sections on youtube and stuff. There's a lot to that streak that people don't understand. I kept hearing people say that they should have had a young guy do it, so that he could get the rub. The problem is that Goldberg was the young guy. The other issue is that in order for Goldberg to do it in the ring, he would have to know how to put the young guy over. It's not just throwing the two of them in the ring and Goldberg loses. Goldberg has to know how to sell properly and work the match to get the guy over. He would have to know how to call a match. He would likely have to know how to work longer than ten minutes. Goldberg didn't know how to do any of that. If there was a feud with a big buildup, leading up to it, Goldberg would have had to know how to carry the feud. He couldn't do that either. His best feud was a short lived feud with Jericho, where Jericho carried about 80% of it.

So, when you combine how green he was, with how indestructible he'd been booked at the time, there were limited people and limited ways with which to end the streak.

He'd already:
    No sold the chokeslam
    Kicked out of the Diamond cutter at the shortest two imaginable
    Kicked out of two Hogan Leg Drops at the shortest two imaginable
    Barely had the Scorpion Death Lock put on him by Sting
    Demolished the entire Flock

When you get to that point, it's not as simple as just letting some young guy beat him to give him the rub.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In regards to:

AJ vs Nakamura- I wasn't expecting a match like their WrestleKingdom match for two reasons. One, the WWE wouldn't let them do it. Two, neither of them has shown anything to lead you to believe they'd buck an agent and do it that way anyway or do the whole "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission" bit. A la, Undertaker and Mankind in the Hell in the Cell.

Asuka's streak: This is the problem with streaks. When you make wrestlers indestructible during streaks, you book yourself into a corner where you run out of people who could realistically end it. At least, in Asuka's case, the streak is not her gimmick. She works her character well. She's a great worker in the ring. Goldberg couldn't work. Couldn't talk. He hurt a lot of the wrestlers he got in the ring with. His case was even worse than Tatanka's. When you have a streak of that magnitude, it's not so simple as to just have anyone be developed and take it down.

The match itself: I did not see, but will this week, but my friend said something similar to a poster here. Charlotte hardly worked the legs the entire night and apparently had a shoulder injury. So, she couldn't even lock the move in good. Then, Asuka tapped very shortly after being in it. He didn't like that they had Charlotte end it, but the way he described it to me there's was hardly anyone else storyline wise good enough to do it.

Taker: When my friend told me he was actually going to wrestle, I had a feeling that it had to be a squash match, because Taker can't go anymore. I'm at least glad he went over.

The Kid winning the belt: I told my friend last night that Jim Cornette is going to blow a gasket when he fines out about this.

The main event: Now I understand why Jim Cornette shat on hardcore wrestling and kicking out of people's finishers for years. What he was trying to say is that it has to be done sparingly, so that it will continue to mean something special when it happens. When you spam it the way ECW did (Hardcore) or the way WWE does now (Kicking out of finishers), it gets old fast and means nothing. So it took five F-5s to take out Reigns, Brock kicked out of back to back spears, but the next time these two have big matches against anyone we're supposed to buy them going down after one finisher.

Furthermore, that match was so mundane that I can honestly say Hulk Hogan routinely did more moves in the ring than Reign and Lesnar combined. Which is sad, because Lesnar knows far more moves than the three-four he does.
    Exactly. You put yourself into a hole with streaks. If Asuka won, she wouldn't lose until next years Wrestlemania. And who would she lose too? She would've ran through the entire women's roster plus any call ups from NXT. So I get why WWE had her lose. And at his point who other than Charlotte would've made sense to beat her? IMO, no one. The finish was weak, Asuka tapping immediately. But Charlotte did work the legs during the first half of the match.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Exactly. You put yourself into a hole with streaks. If Asuka won, she wouldn't lose until next years Wrestlemania. And who would she lose too? She would've ran through the entire women's roster plus any call ups from NXT. So I get why WWE had her lose. And at his point who other than Charlotte would've made sense to beat her? IMO, no one. The finish was weak, Asuka tapping immediately. But Charlotte did work the legs during the first half of the match.
    Only other person I could think off would have been Rousy but the fans would have shit all over that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I think Shasha is terrible personally and a walking injury waiting to happen.

I'm not trying to come across sounding like an ass at all here, but that's just a flat out wrong take. Since Dec 2015, Sasha has been in 9 of the 14 4* or higher women's matches in the company. She may be injury prone, but she is about as far from terrible as you can get.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I'm not trying to come across sounding like an ass at all here, but that's just a flat out wrong take. Since Dec 2015, Sasha has been in 9 of the 14 4* or higher women's matches in the company. She may be injury prone, but she is about as far from terrible as you can get.
    She peaked in NXT against Baley...her character hasn't been interesting at all since the main roster. Thats not entirely her fault obviously.
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    She peaked in NXT against Baley...her character hasn't been interesting at all since the main roster. Thats not entirely her fault obviously.
    I don't disagree. I've said as much w/ my complaints about her booking. You can say the same about a lot of the NXT call ups - doesn't mean they are terrible wrestlers. Tyler Breeze has been in a stupid comedy gimmick for his entire main roster run, you'd never know he's actually a good wrestler.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

It's going to take a while for Rousey to get her feet underneath of her. Then, you can have a match at the next Mania with her against Charlotte, Asuka turned heel possibly or Nia Jax.

Blog Entries

The problem w/ Goldberg's streak was that WCW went too far with it. They had him no-sell for so much of it. And when he did it was, as Ex said, kicking out of finishers almost immediately, things like that. W/ Goldberg I totally agree that you needed someone like Kevin Nash, or Hogan, or Sting, for it to be believable. How WWE had booked Asuka was a lot different. I don't think you needed that for her. Like, I don't remember hearing a lot of complaints about believability when KO went over Cena in his first main roster match, after Cena to that point had just a handful of clean losses in his career? Build someone up in NXT, have them debut and beat her and you have a new star.
    back on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I thought Charlotte vs Asuka match was the best women’s match I’ve ever seen.

That was definitely the best match of the night by far those two brought their A game, I just thought the Rousey match was classic wrestling entertainment and drama

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    You need to watch the NXT matches w/ Sasha and Bayley and Becky and Charlotte, if that was the best women's match you've ever seen. Specifically, the fatal four way from NXT Rival, Sasha vs. Becky from NXT Unstoppable, Sasha vs. Bayley from NXT Brooklyn (I believe this is the highest rated WWE women's match by WON). Heck, even the triple threat from WM 2016 w/ Sasha and Becky and Charlotte.

Likewise if you think none of the ones I listed are close to Charlotte's league. As I said, it's all about the booking. Sasha and Bayley in particular are incredibly talented but booked horribly and rarely given enough time to tell the stories they are capable of telling. They were given that time while in NXT and the results were spectacular.
    Sasha Bayley NXT Brooklyn 2015 was the best match of Summerslam weekend that year and one of the best ever