Thread: Line item veto

Line item veto

How does everyone feel about this?

Re: Line item veto

Trump is asking for the same power that Reagan, Big Bush, Clinton , W, and Obama asked for. Supreme Court said it’s unconstitutional. So if the GOP is really behind Trump...get an amendment now while they( GOP) still control both houses of Congress. After the midterms I don’t think they will and the Dems are never gonna pass a bill giving away any of their power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see I think this request shows the biggest flaw with Trump as POTUS. He’s used to being the one in charge. And while the POTUS is in charge ...he doesn’t have unilateral power to pass or do what he wants. Trump kinda views Congress as a Board of Directors ...someone who has input but not the power to tell him no. Not the case. Let’s be honest ...the POTUS is really just a figure head. Congress passes the bills / laws they want. Hell they can even over turn. Presidential Veto! The power is in Congress. Only elected officials without term limits.
    Trump needs to realize he has to work with Congress to pass things. His appeal as a “non politician “ is also a weakness. Neither party recognizes him as their guy. So he’s never gonna have the support he needs or wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    You see I think this request shows the biggest flaw with Trump as POTUS. He’s used to being the one in charge. And while the POTUS is in charge ...he doesn’t have unilateral power to pass or do what he wants. Trump kinda views Congress as a Board of Directors ...someone who has input but not the power to tell him no. Not the case. Let’s be honest ...the POTUS is really just a figure head. Congress passes the bills / laws they want. Hell they can even over turn. Presidential Veto! The power is in Congress. Only elected officials without term limits.
    Trump needs to realize he has to work with Congress to pass things. His appeal as a “non politician “ is also a weakness. Neither party recognizes him as their guy. So he’s never gonna have the support he needs or wants.

This. I think this is the single biggest misunderstanding about our government system. It's why it always annoys me that presidential campaigns are pretty much all about legislative agenda.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think it would be helpful, but since you need an amendment to pass to make one, well, it's not gonna happen.
    Presidents will just have to have the guts to veto these massive, cover everything bills and shut govt down

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I was waiting for someone to post this...

I always knew that when/if an outsider were ever elected...especially someone as polarizing as Trump...this would be a problem. Democrats and Republicans are one in the same in many respects. Just because the POTUS ran as a Republican doesn't mean shit. They hate him. Everyone that is part of the swamp (R's and D's) is working for a guy who doesn't play in their playpen. He is a threat to their cushy jobs. Look at healthcare. John McCain ran on "appealing the ACA" for years. For years! As soon as Trump is in office and the ACA repeal is sitting on McCain's desk, he voted against it. They aren't trying to fix problems. They are trying to promote solutions so they'll get re-elected (Dems and DACA) and then never do anything. That's politics in America. Congressman Connor Lamb won his district because he was fighting for the same issues Trump was campaigning for...cept Lamb was a Democrat. It doesn't matter.

If you want to make changes, Trump was a good first step, but we need to vote out the lifelong swamp creatures that have been getting rich off of our tax dollars for years. Get rid of Pelosi. Get rid of Schumer. Get rid of McCain. Get rid of Ryan. "The outsider" is outnumbered and although things have gotten better (economy, taxes, military deterrence), the swamp wants to keep everything lined up so that THEY benefit.

Line item veto? Term limits? Those would make sense. No chance either happens. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post

If you want to make changes, Trump was a good first step, but we need to vote out the lifelong swamp creatures that have been getting rich off of our tax dollars for years. Get rid of Pelosi. Get rid of Schumer. Get rid of McCain. Get rid of Ryan. "The outsider" is outnumbered and although things have gotten better (economy, taxes, military deterrence), the swamp wants to keep everything lined up so that THEY benefit.

You left off McConnell.