Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Jags to cut Allen Hurns

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If they liked Grant they should love Hurns. He's bigger and even better in traffic. Hurns has been banged up the past couple of seasons. It's important that they think he can stay healthy. It's that's the case then go for it.
    Even more of a reason to draft 2 wr minimum if we sign Hurns.

Blog Entries

if he cheap, get it done man.

Just a thought, but if we do go FA again at WR, I think we should expect Marty to run "11" sets at a much higher clip than he may have initially planned in 2017. Tough to justify the cost otherwise.

Marty ran "11" at a league-low 41% in 2017 (<--edited) vs. a league average at 59%.
    Our sub-par TEs, their suspensions, injuries and BP's gawd-awful performance all contributed to that 41%; so maybe came into the season thinking 60-65% or something...
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 03-20-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fixed a date
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

They only have $10m in cap space right now, and that's not enough to sign anybody since you need about $10m to sign your draft class, practice squad, and then have money for injury replacements/etc.

The only way they have left to free up space is to extend Mosley. Of course, they could sign Hurns now and extend Mosley later, since they won't really need the money for a while.

I wouldn't love that move because I'm not sure what you really get from Hurns. He's basically just a catch-and-fall guy, he reminds me of a poor man's Marques Colston at the end of his career, he's just a taller guy with good hands in traffic but no real athletic ability. Of course, that's better than what we have, I just don't know if it's worth real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    He cost 7 million at the time he was cut with term so the same standard applies as it did to crabtree hard to see him getting more then 7 million AAV.

Looks like a JAG to me. One good season three years ago. Just save the cap money and draft a guy who can probably give you similar production for much cheaper. The addition of Hurns doesn't make them a good team, they'll still struggle to get to .500 this year with or without him.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

theres a lot of small slot guys in this draft, Id like them to have some flexibility from that spot. Make us much more dynamic and harder to gameplan around if we can exploit size or speed, vs only one or the other. I like Hurns, I liked Grant better personally.

I like the idea of bringing in Hurns. hes pretty much produced no matter what, albeit at 55% CR. Hes not going to carry you, but hes a good compliment. Hes young enough he can still get better. I prefer explosion and YAC but theres something to say about having multiple guys that can catch in traffic, which he can certainly do. He adds size that we dont have (nor did Grant) which i think is something we need to add.

Id feel better having one more vet before we add somebody in the draft. were basically not counting on anything we had carried over. Moore and Perriman are the only knowns, and its not exactly good that we know. I dont think we can trust a rookie for immediate impact. If thats Hurns, Im good with that.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Big slot makes sense given the issue at TE. If you can't get a good receiving TE you can make up for it with a big slot receiver
    Completely agree.

FWIW, I'd love to see 3 WR sets with a cat like Rashaad Penny or Ito Smith running swings, wheels and angles.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Just a thought, but if we do go FA again at WR, I think we should expect Marty to run "11" sets at a much higher clip than he may have initially planned in 2017. Tough to justify the cost otherwise.

Marty ran "11" at a league-low 41% in 2016 vs. a league average at 59%.
    Our sub-par TEs, their suspensions, injuries and BP's gawd-awful performance all contributed to that 41%; so maybe came into the season thinking 60-65% or something...
    41% in 2016--did you mean 2017? They were in a much better position to run 3WRs in 2016 with Perriman somehow looking decent, Mike Wallace on the other side and Steve Smith in the slot. The WR corps had a huge dropoff in 2017.

I think Marty certainly wants to run 11 personnel as the base offense. It's what he's run historically and league-wide, going 3WRs doesn't even hurt your rush offense as one might expect; there's basically no reason to play in the I formation anymore when you look at the data (outside of short yardage and clock killing situations.)

Their intensions were apparent from the decision to forgo a true FB last year. As you pointed out, it didn't actually work out that way at all because they didn't have 2 good WRs to put on the field, much less 3. On top of that, they clearly weren't confident in the OL and needed both chip and set blockers at TE/HBack most of the time which led to more 12 packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    41% in 2016--did you mean 2017? They were in a much better position to run 3WRs in 2016 with Perriman somehow looking decent, Mike Wallace on the other side and Steve Smith in the slot. The WR corps had a huge dropoff in 2017.

I think Marty certainly wants to run 11 personnel as the base offense. It's what he's run historically and league-wide, going 3WRs doesn't even hurt your rush offense as one might expect; there's basically no reason to play in the I formation anymore when you look at the data (outside of short yardage and clock killing situations.)

Their intensions were apparent from the decision to forgo a true FB last year. As you pointed out, it didn't actually work out that way at all because they didn't have 2 good WRs to put on the field, much less 3. On top of that, they clearly weren't confident in the OL and needed both chip and set blockers at TE/HBack most of the time which led to more 12 packages.
    Yes, 2017. 41% in 2017. Thanks!

@BigPlayReceiver

11. Re: Jags to cut Allen Hurns

I would have no issue with signing Allen Hurns; he doesn't factor into the comp pick formula, he's big and might be undervalued since Jacksonville somehow lost him in the shuffle (PFF loved him last year). With all that said, he's not 30 years old so Ozzie won't sign him :(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    No way will Hurns be cheap. Compare Hurns to who is left on the market. Who is better than him?