Page 1 of 39 123 ... LastLast

The Jarvis Landry Trap

I hope the Ravens don't fall for Mike Tannebaum's hail marry attempt. It appears the Dolphins have come to terms with their fate and realized Landry's days in Miami are coming to an end. Clearly, tagging him with the non-exclusive tag as soon as the designation period opened signaled their plans of a tag-n-trade swindle. My guess is they'll aggressively try to move him during the combine, which is why they're allowing teams to fully negotiate with his agent 3 weeks before free agency begins.

For those of you who aren't aware the differences between the Exclusive and Non-exclusive franchise tag, simply put, the Non-exclusive tag allows other teams to negotiate with the player while giving the current team a chance to match any offer sheet. Whereas, the exclusive tag precludes other teams from making any contact with the player or his agent at all. By applying the Non-Exclusive tag so suddenly they're allowing Landry's camp to negotiate with other teams.

If Landry signs the tag he's due $16M this year. Considering the Dolphins currently have the 2nd worse cap space in the league and will have to make a plethora of cuts just to accommodate the cap hit, this is not ideal. Factor in they'll be cornered into an even worse predicament next year if contract talks continue to stall and they're faced with yet again having to tag him ($20M+) or let him walk. Essentially, tagging Landry amounts to a 1 year rental and places all leverage into to Landry's camp for future negotiations. He's guaranteed at least $36M+ over the next 2 years if all he does is sit tight and waits for the Dolphins to bulk. So why would he accept anything less from Miami at this point?

Here's what's going to happen:

1.) Miami is allowing other teams to weigh-in with contract offers. This is their last ditch attempt at moving Landry off his asking price hoping the market shows he's not worth what he's seeking. Other teams prove they are ready to make Landry a very rich man. Mike Tannenbaum scratches his butt, then eagerly moves onto phase:

2.) Trade demands "suddenly" pick up at the combine in hopes Miami can squeeze out more than the 3rd round compensatory pick they're otherwise destined to receive in 2019 if they rescind the tag...at a minimum a 3rd round pick this year will be the starting point.

3.) Landry is either traded or Miami rescinds the trade and allows him to become a free agent.

So, the question becomes how much were the Ravens willing to give up last year for Landry when they inquired about a trade? If it was more than a 3rd round pick we could be in trouble. Ozzie might be willing to make the sacrifice and secure that "splash" signing Biscuit murmured about at his press conference, especially if there's concerns that free agency would further drive up Landry's asking price if the Dolphins indeed rescinded the tag.

Lets say for shits-n-giggles Ozzie is willing to part ways with our 3rd round compensatory pick this year, maybe our 4th and a 4th next year...something along those lines. When you think about how much ammunition that is in terms of trading up in the draft and acquiring cheaper talent, I'm not so sure it would be in our best interest to flirt with another Landry trade. Even if all that's being asked for is our 3rd round comp pick.

Then again...if the Ravens are truly determined to make Landry a Raven it might be cheaper to surrender a few picks and nab him now while his price tag is probably the lowest it's going to be.
    Last edited by unbelievable; 02-22-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: The Jarvis Landry Trap

The only ones trapped are the Dolphins. The last team to try this was the Panthers with Josh Norman. It didn't work so well for them either

There is no trap here. If Landry signs his tag it is just a colossal mistake by the dolphins. I am sure Landry would be perfectly happy getting a guaranteed 16m for 1 year.

Blog Entries

I’d trade a 2nd for Landry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Landry hasn't signed his tag for a reason. The Dolphins are dumb but not this dumb. I'm sure an agreement was reach between the 2 sides that Landry's camp could actively start negotiating with other teams and if a deal could be struck before March 14th they would rescind the tag. It gives Landry a 3 week head start on the rest of the WR market. What else is stopping him from inking his named to a quick $16M other than a long term contract with another team? Tagging him was beneficial for both sides...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    AND pay him $14-16M a year? That's a little steep.

We'd probably be better off trading that 2nd for Marcus Peters or using it to move up into top 10 for someone like Quenton Nelson or Minkhah Fitzpatrick, maybe a Quarterback...

Blog Entries

Not me. I would have traded a 3rd for half of last year when we did try to trade for Landry. That seems reasonable for a test ride at a cheap price. A 2nd plus the money he want? No way. This isn't Antonio Brown on DeAndre Hopkins. He's just not on that level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
    AND pay him $14-16M a year? That's a little steep.

We'd probably be better off trading that 2nd for Marcus Peters or using it to move up into top 10 for someone like Quenton Nelson or Minkhah Fitzpatrick, maybe a Quarterback...
    i would give up the 2nd round given how much we suck drafting there, but I ain't paying Landry that much he is not that type of receiver to command that type of pay day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    i would give up the 2nd round given how much we suck drafting there, but I ain't paying Landry that much he is not that type of receiver to command that type of pay day.
    What type of WR is worth that? 1500/15? 1300/10? Outside or a slot guy? I see so many people on this board wanting to go out and sign one of these elite guys but then doesn't want to pay him (not saying its you Smoove, cant recall your stance).

I would rather have a slot guy than an outside guy to be honest, a go to guy for Joe is what we need, I have no issue trading for him and paying him, but not the 15mill he will get on the open market. That being said, it would be nice to see the FO just say fuck it and go get the guy they want instead of playing the waiting game and all that bs.

I would trade a 2nd if he had a reasonable salary.

I would sign him to a rich contract with no other compensation owed.

I would not trade a 2nd AND pay him $14-16 million a year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Not me. I would have traded a 3rd for half of last year when we did try to trade for Landry. That seems reasonable for a test ride at a cheap price. A 2nd plus the money he want? No way. This isn't Antonio Brown on DeAndre Hopkins. He's just not on that level.
    Totally agree. I would do this for a true elite guy.

If he comes here and is basically Anquan Boldin...while a good player, but not worth giving up a second and that insane contract for him to wind up catching 60 balls a year at 9 yards per reception.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

no thanks landry