Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 161
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    28,084
    Blog Entries
    1

    The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.



    I swear to the good Lord it does. Do you want an offense that is going to light people up every week? An offense that, even the best defense in the league will have trouble keeping under 25 points? Or does the fanbase want a 'Complementary' offense, that's just not going to screw things up for the defense? Because if it's the latter, then you are wasting your time drafting a QB in the first round for that. That spells, mid-round pick, let him play out his rookie contract and go get another one in four years.

    If you're looking for a QB for the next decade, when those four years are up (Five if he's a first round pick), you are going to have to pay up for him. And if all you want out of the offense is for it to run the ball, not turn the ball over and have the passing offense make two to three plays a game, you're wasting your money paying a big contract out to that QB.

    The fanbase is talking about the QB position in a schizophrenic manner. Make up your minds people.

    Furthermore, I have yet to hear a single fan say that they want a new QB, WITHOUT acknowledging (Directly or indirectly) that said QB would also have to be accompanied by significant overhaul of the way this organization approaches offense. I have yet to hear a single fan say that they want a QB to be placed into the current situation. Or previous Ravens situations for that matter. All I hear is that we'd also have to put forth an asserted effort to get him two or three pass catchers. Which, HELLO!, they should have been doing years ago.

    When I hear people criticize Flacco (He drives me nuts sometimes too), if you really read into what they're saying, they're not saying he's terrible. What they're really saying, implication wise, is that he's not been playing up to par, but there are so many variable reasons why they can't come close to putting a hypothetical percentage on it, but since he makes the money and looks like he's on downers when he's on the field, even when we're losing, I'm going to shit on him for a while to take a break from shitting on the organization.

    There isn't just a difference in the way the Ravens have approached offense overall. There is a disparity the size of Bc's Sister-in-Law, compared to other perennial contenders.

    Fans who want to put a new QB into THIS situation, don't want a great QB to have the franchise set for the next decade. They want David Carr, because that's what they're going to get.

    So, you draft a QB in the first round, and he's throwing to who? Being protected by who? Getting his play calls from who?

    At least, when Flacco was drafted, they had a line, a RB already in place, a reliable WR already in place and a Coordinator whose one good trait believe it or not, is developing young QBs who are suited for Coryell based offenses. Not to mention a CLUTCH defense, not that cheap imitation, no, I'm sorry, OVERPRICED (Since we still wanna talk about overpriced people even though it's darn near the going rate for their position now) imitation of a clutch defense.

    Now, look at the situation I just laid out and how much worse the current one is. If they don't re-sign Jensen, they'll only have two proven lineman and one you hope will continue to trend up (Skura), no WRs, their best TE contemplating retirement, A Coordinator that half the city wanted fired, and a RB that we were fortunate to have fix his fumbling. Nobody even knows what they run? It's like the West Coast offense that was the hottest Porn star in the country..................20 years ago, and now is fat, deformed from all of the surgeries and worth a chicken box from Lexington Market.

    So, I know that people want to see change. I get that, but you need to figure out what you want going forward.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 03-08-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore





  2. #2

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    I've been through this "schizo" cycle a few times. I disagree that your commentary applies to the overall fan base. We have, and had, a small but vocal minority who jumped on a bandwagon to replace the starting QB when rough patches came. Such as:

    • bench Johnny U in favor of Gary Cuazzo
    • bench Bert Jones in favor of Bill Troup or Marty Domres
    • bench Vinnie in favor of Eric Zeier
    • bench Elvis Grbac in favor of Randall Cunningham
    • bench Kyle Boller in favor of Troy Smith
    • dump Flacco in a couple years in favor of TBD rookie



    With the exception of Grbac/Cunningham, these fan tantrums have all been, and continue to be, laughable.

    As to "The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind" ----------> fans don't know squat. They've been proven wrong by the teams' coaches & player personnel managers in almost every example I brought up above. I trust our brain trust to transition from Flacco to a rookie or FA at the right time. If Flacco's health holds up, that may be another half decade. I'm looking for improving Flacco's performance and longevity by strengthening the OL and receiving corps, and hopefully better coaching this season.

    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).





  3. #3

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Is it the fanbase or the Front Office that needs to make up it's mind? If they planned on never building around Flacco after offering him that contract then they should've never offered it to him in the first place.





  4. Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Here is the issue with what you are saying actually there are people who think he's played extremely poorly since his contract extension and I happen to be one of them.

    As I posted in the previous thread: Since 2012 Joe Flacco's passer rating (82.1) ranks No. 36 in the NFL over that span, behind Colin Kaepernick, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick. One year I sort of could understand the injury argument but we are talking 4/5 he's been legit terrible since the superbowl and the one year where he wasn't terrible he was average as far as starting QB's are concerned. Unless you are on the bottom half with a rookie qb you EXPECT your qb to put up a 90 ish qb rating every year.



    Therefore I don't think it's schizophrenic at all. In fact, if we were going to use your logic we would have never drafted Flacco in the first place because there were people who had the very same attitude your conveying about how it was "the oline stupid". That we needed more help at WR/TE. How could we possibly evaluate him without more help. Here's the thing when a qb isn't playing well and throwing behind WR's and missing them on deep balls you can see it and irrespective of Oline play, WR play, TE play it's visible to anyone who is actually looking.

    You want schizophrenia watch Flacco apologists. Never once do they defend his play all they do is shift blame it's never an argument for Flacco it's always an argument against someone or something else. For once I would like to hear the FWO make a cognizant argument of how he played well last season and why he deserves to not be challenged using his play as a basis instead of blaming his failures on others





  5. #5

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    I don't think there are many people advocating for drafting a QB in the first round or any QB with the intentions of replacing Flacco for at least 2 years. After that, it's only natural as he'll be 35 and it would behoove us to start seeing what else could potentially be out there.

    This OP is a severe overreaction IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  6. Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I've been through this "schizo" cycle a few times. I disagree that your commentary applies to the overall fan base. We have, and had, a small but vocal minority who jumped on a bandwagon to replace the starting QB when rough patches came. Such as:

    • bench Johnny U in favor of Gary Cuazzo
    • bench Bert Jones in favor of Bill Troup or Marty Domres
    • bench Vinnie in favor of Eric Zeier
    • bench Elvis Grbac in favor of Randall Cunningham
    • bench Kyle Boller in favor of Troy Smith
    • dump Flacco in a couple years in favor of TBD rookie



    With the exception of Grbac/Cunningham, these fan tantrums have all been, and continue to be, laughable.

    As to "The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind" ----------> fans don't know squat. They've been proven wrong by the teams' coaches & player personnel managers in almost every example I brought up above. I trust our brain trust to transition from Flacco to a rookie or FA at the right time. If Flacco's health holds up, that may be another half decade. I'm looking for improving Flacco's performance and longevity by strengthening the OL and receiving corps, and hopefully better coaching this season.

    Lol you forgot Anthony Wright.





  7. #7

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Here is the issue with what you are saying actually there are people who think he's played extremely poorly since his contract extension and I happen to be one of them.

    As I posted in the previous thread: Since 2012 Joe Flacco's passer rating (82.1) ranks No. 36 in the NFL over that span, behind Colin Kaepernick, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick. One year I sort of could understand the injury argument but we are talking 4/5 he's been legit terrible since the superbowl and the one year where he wasn't terrible he was average as far as starting QB's are concerned. Unless you are on the bottom half with a rookie qb you EXPECT your qb to put up a 90 ish qb rating every year.



    Therefore I don't think it's schizophrenic at all. In fact, if we were going to use your logic we would have never drafted Flacco in the first place because there were people who had the very same attitude your conveying about how it was "the oline stupid". That we needed more help at WR/TE. How could we possibly evaluate him without more help. Here's the thing when a qb isn't playing well and throwing behind WR's and missing them on deep balls you can see it and irrespective of Oline play, WR play, TE play it's visible to anyone who is actually looking.

    You want schizophrenia watch Flacco apologists. Never once do they defend his play all they do is shift blame it's never an argument for Flacco it's always an argument against someone or something else. For once I would like to hear the FWO make a cognizant argument of how he played well last season and why he deserves to not be challenged using his play as a basis instead of blaming his failures on others
    Sorry your assumption is just you're obvious bias.

    Passer ratings above 90 as your saying, That leaves out a bunch, Derrek Carr, Last year Bortles, Marriotta was in the 70s. Dak Prescott, all of which at one time or another you or some of the Flacco haters have said were considered good QBS or better than Joe.

    Could it be better sure, but not every year do they play like Brady or Brees





  8. #8

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    The fan base is not a monolithic block that has to be unanimous about anything. You can make up your mind, I can make up mine.





  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    28,084
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Is it the fanbase or the Front Office that needs to make up it's mind? If they planned on never building around Flacco after offering him that contract then they should've never offered it to him in the first place.
    Thank you. And the answer is both.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore





  10. Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Sorry your assumption is just you're obvious bias.

    Passer ratings above 90 as your saying, That leaves out a bunch, Derrek Carr, Last year Bortles, Marriotta was in the 70s. Dak Prescott, all of which at one time or another you or some of the Flacco haters have said were considered good QBS or better than Joe.

    Could it be better sure, but not every year do they play like Brady or Brees
    I don't think anyone thinks Carr played well last season but like I said 4/5 years. Over the last 5 36th show me the qb's who have been consistently bad and still kept their jobs.

    Maybe Bortles but he was challenged last year by the new regime and won the job.
    Last edited by boller4president; 03-08-2018 at 04:59 PM.





  11. #11

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks Carr played well last season but like I said 4/5 years. Over the last 5 36th show me the qb's who have been consistently bad and still kept their jobs.
    Carr had a bad year last year, the year prior he was all the talk about being the next great QB. Exactly my point.

    You continue to dwell on Flacco having a down year, down couple but you easily give Carr a Pass for a bad year. Take 1 look at Raiders WR roster and tell me they don't have better talent than Flacco has?

    You are trying to cherry pick 1 stat, QB rating and say well if Flacco cant hit 90 he sucks. He was 8 points off you're mark.

    Look at just Prescott and Carr from 2016 and they were 2 of the best QBS in the league. Exactly my point.

    Shit happens that affects it. Flacco has no help, even the most blind hater can see that. Does Flacco have Dez Bryant?, Crabtree, Cooper?





  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centreville, MD
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens Fanbase needs to make up its mind.

    Oh look, another Flacco thread. Great.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...






Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site