Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Ravens Free Agency discussion

watkins + arob + jordy + graham

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Watkins isn't very good. He's flopped for 2 teams now. Forget where he was drafted. He's an average player
    Still better than the crap we've had the last few years.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'm still very much interested in a 2 or 3 player combo of the following:

Landry
    A-Rob
    Matthews
    Moncrief
    Gabriel
    Burton
    AS Jenkins
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    My opinion of who the Ravens should target hasn't changed much.

Incumbents - Urban is fine I guess if the price is low... but the only guy I really want to resign is Jensen. Maybe Mike Wallace if you twist my arm.

WRs - sign two, stay young and don't overpay. Also draft two, one early and one mid-late.

Donte Moncrief (24)
    Allen Robinson (24)
    Sammy Watkins (24)
    T.J. Jones (25)
    Jordan Matthews (25)
    Albert Wilson (25)
    Bruce Ellington (26)
    Marqise Lee (26)
    Paul Richardson (26)
    John Brown (27)
    Taylor Gabriel (27)
    Ryan Grant (27)

TE - sign one and draft one. Spend on Jimmy Graham if you can -- otherwise, go young again and don't overspend.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (25)
    Troy Niklas (25)
    Trey Burton (26)
    Richard Rodgers (26)
    Jimmy Graham (31)

ILB: #1 target is Preston Brown. But again, no need to go old and/or expensive.

Preston Brown (25)
    Anthony Hitchens (25)
    Avery Williamson (25)
    Christian Jones (27)
    Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Here's the list of guys I do NOT want the Ravens to get.

WR
    Jarvis Landry - not after signing the franchise tag.
    Cody Latimer - I want them to go young but there's a limit on lack of productivity.
    Kendall Wright - this guy's mediocre and there are too many younger mediocre options who could still improve.
    Danny Amendola - this guy screams drop-off if he leaves New England. Let him stay their hero.
    Anyone else age 30+ - except maybe Mike Wallace since he has in-house experience and can actually catch.

TE
    Tyler Eifert - don't need yet another oft-injured tight end especially if he demands a significant contract.
    Antonio Gates - superb season for a 37 year old. Just unsure if he can do it again.
    Ben Watson - same as Gates. He was perhaps the Ravens best pass catcher last season. Thanks, but bye

ILB
    Zach Brown - I suspect this will be one of the biggest overpays this off season.
    Brian Cushing - don't even think about it.
    John Bostic - just not that good.
    Kevin Minter -also just not that good.
    Ray Maualuga - nothing to offer for what the Ravens need to compliment CJ Mosley.
    Derrick Johnson - is he retiring?
    Karlos Dansby - is HE retiring?
    I agree with damn near every word of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    My opinion of who the Ravens should target hasn't changed much.

Incumbents - Urban is fine I guess if the price is low... but the only guy I really want to resign is Jensen. Maybe Mike Wallace if you twist my arm.
    Consider it twisted (LOL!). I like what he brings to the table, he has two years experience as a Raven, and I don't believe he will break the bank. I think those who want two FA WRs, a FA TE, plus a FA ILB have not looked at our $alary cap standing lately... Bc

6. Re: 2018 Ravens Free Agency discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Rams who traded for him aren't interested in bringing him back unless it's on the cheap. Watkins had just 1 game with more than 100 yards and it was also his only multi-TD game. It was early in the season against what was a bad 49ers team.

When crunch time came at the end of the season Watkins yardage totals were 38 yards, 21 yards, 14 yards and 30 yards. That was on 11 catches and he was targeted 23 times. That's not even a 50% catch rate. He caught 1 pass in the playoffs for 23 yards and was targeted 4 times. If Watkins was just a decoy then why did they throw to him so much?

Watkins is a very talented athlete but not a good receiver. He's not bad either but certainly not worth the top dollar he's looking for.
    I'd take the 2014, 2015 pre-injury Watkins all day every day and twice on Sunday. There are question marks on all these guys...that's why they're hitting FA. With ARob it's the knee, with Landry it is lack of explosive plays and TDs, and with Watkins it's that - in your opinion - he's more athlete than football player. I'd point to his pre-injury statistics, both NFL and NCAA to counter, and still believe you are minimizing his 8 TDs this year. I'm not saying that 8 TDs is lighting the world on fire but, when you're the fourth option on a run first team with an inexperienced QB, 8 TDs is nothing to sneeze at. Also, you're saying the Rams aren't interested in bringing him back, except on the cheap, and yet by all media accounts he was in play to be franchised up until the stroke of midnight. That would seem to contradict your point regarding the value his current team places on him. The catch rate is concerning, but I did not watch a lot of Rams games this year, so it's hard to say how many of those were uncatchable or contested versus flat out drops.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Consider it twisted (LOL!). I like what he brings to the table, he has two years experience as a Raven, and I don't believe he will break the bank. I think those who want two FA WRs, a FA TE, plus a FA ILB have not looked at our $alary cap standing lately... Bc
    how much u think wallace will cost?

8. Re: 2018 Ravens Free Agency discussion

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I’m still very much on board with Jordan Matthews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too. Big slot.

9. Re: 2018 Ravens Free Agency discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'd say nay to Watkins. Mostly becuase of injuries. I'd be investigating A-Rob's knee hard too
    Injuries or injury? Has Watkins been hurt more than ARob? I'm not scared of either, but in Watkins' case, at least you can look at games played in 2017.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    how much u think wallace will cost?
    Baldy, I'm no expert, but I'd think he would take a one year guaranteed contract in the neighborhood of $6 million. My thinking is to have an experienced veteran presence, draft two WRs, one very early 1st or 2nd and one mid-round, that can be developed. Add them to the growth of Chris Moore and start building a respectable WR corps... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Baldy, I'm no expert, but I'd think he would take a one year guaranteed contract in the neighborhood of $6 million. My thinking is to have an experienced veteran presence, draft two WRs, one very early 1st or 2nd and one mid-round, that can be developed. Add them to the growth of Chris Moore and start building a respectable WR corps... Bc
    im on board at $6 mil. but i have a feeling wallace will want more and might receive it. this is probably his last good contract so i think he will want more years + more money.
    i also think landry/arob/watkins will go between 12-14 mil range then the 2nd tier will go between 10-12 and third tier between 8-10 and thats where i think he will end up.
    who knows maybe he will give a discount if we give him 2 years?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    I'd take the 2014, 2015 pre-injury Watkins all day every day and twice on Sunday. There are question marks on all these guys...that's why they're hitting FA. With ARob it's the knee, with Landry it is lack of explosive plays and TDs, and with Watkins it's that - in your opinion - he's more athlete than football player. I'd point to his pre-injury statistics, both NFL and NCAA to counter, and still believe you are minimizing his 8 TDs this year. I'm not saying that 8 TDs is lighting the world on fire but, when you're the fourth option on a run first team with an inexperienced QB, 8 TDs is nothing to sneeze at. Also, you're saying the Rams aren't interested in bringing him back, except on the cheap, and yet by all media accounts he was in play to be franchised up until the stroke of midnight. That would seem to contradict your point regarding the value his current team places on him. The catch rate is concerning, but I did not watch a lot of Rams games this year, so it's hard to say how many of those were uncatchable or contested versus flat out drops.

Robinson's injury was a simple ACL. We see players come back from that one all the time and have for 20 years. For Watkins it's all sorts of different things.

I have the Sunday Ticket so I'm always looking for 4:00 games and this past year that meant a lot of Rams and Chargers since those were the more interesting teams. Robert Woods was really the major force in the passing game. He got banged up and had to miss a couple of games so I like everyone else thought that Watkins would finally step up. It just didn't happen. In the playoffs Woods had 9 catches for 142. Compare that to the 1 catch on 4 targets for Watkins.

I see Watkins getting a 1 year deal like Jeffery and Pryor got last year. In fact I can easily see the Redskins signing Watkins for 1 year $9 million which is similar to the 1 year $8 million they signed Pryor for in 2017. Those are the kind of moves that teams with cap space can make. If it does it does work out you extend the guy, like Jeffery and the Eagles, if it doesn't you have no cap impact on the following year like the Redskins with Pryor. If we could do that I'd be interested in Watkins. No way though would I commit big multi-year money to him. Looking at Tony Jefferson now in our top 5 of cap hits for 2018 is a good reminder of how screwed your team can be in year 2 of those kind of deals.