Page 1 of 43 123 ... LastLast

2018 Ravens Free Agency discussion

Stepping into that time of year that we both love and hate at the same time.

Important dates
    Tue, March 6: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players
    Mon, March 12 - Wed, March 14: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents
    Wed, March 14: All option years and RFA contracts must be settled, and all 2017 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m. eastern

Current UFAs:
    Mike Wallace
    Ryan Mallett
    Ryan Jensen
    Terrance West

Ben Watson
    James Hurst
    Mike Campanaro
    Steven Johnson

Brandon Boykin
    Crockett Gillmore
    Brent Urban
    Sheldon Price

Luke Bowanko

Note: There's a separate thread to discuss and track league-wide free agency movement.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Re: 2018 Ravens Free Agency discussion

Looking at our positions of greatest need (at the moment).
    The grouping is for ease of reading.

WRs
    Jarvis Landry (25) -- Franchise Tagged by MIA
    Allen Robinson (24)
    Sammy Watkins (24)
    Marqise Lee (26)

Paul Richardson (25)
    Terrelle Pryor (28)
    Mike Wallace (31)
    Jordan Matthews (25)

John Brown (27)
    Kendall Wright (28)
    Albert Wilson (25)
    Eric Decker (31)

Donte Moncrief (24)
    Danny Amendola (32)
    Taylor Gabriel (27)
    Bruce Ellington (26)

Brice Butler (28)
    Cody Latimer (25)
    Jaron Brown (28)
    Michael Floyd (28)

Brian Quick (28)
    Tavarres King (27)
    Michael Campanaro (27)
    Deonte Thompson (29)

Dontrelle Inman (29)
    Jeff Janis (26)
    Ryan Grant (27)
    T.J. Jones (25)

Louis Murphy (30)
    De’Anthony Thomas (25)
    Justin Hunter (26)
    Andre Roberts (30)

Kamar Aiken (28)
    Brenton Bersin (27)
    Arrelious Benn (29)
    Brandon Tate (30)

Jeremy Butler (26)
    Brittan Golden (29)
    Harry Douglas (33)

Tight Ends
    Jimmy Graham (31)
    Tyler Eifert (27)
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins (25)
    Trey Burton (26)

Virgil Green (29)
    Niles Paul (28)
    Luke Willson (28)
    Ben Watson (37)

Antonio Gates (37)
    Ed Dickson (30)
    Troy Niklas (25)
    Mychal Rivera (27)

Chris Gragg (27)
    Darren Fells (31)
    Richard Rodgers (26)
    Lee Smith (30)

Anthony Fasano (33)
    Jeff Cumberland (30)
    Derek Carrier (27)
    Brandon Williams (30)

Clay Harbor (30)
    Zach Miller (33)
    Logan Paulsen (31)

Inside Linebackers
    Navorro Bowman (29)
    Avery Williamson (26)
    Zach Brown (28)
    Todd Davis (25)

Preston Brown (25)
    Demario Davis (29)
    Anthony Hitchens (25)
    Jerrell Freeman (31)

Jon Bostic (26)
    Paul Posluszny (33)
    Mason Foster (29) -- Re-signed 2-year, $4M deal with WAS
    Christian Jones (27)

Korey Toomer (29)
    Kevin Minter (27)
    Karlos Dansby (36)
    Brian Cushing (31)

Gerald Hodges (27)
    Dannell Ellerbe (32)
    Josh Bynes (28)
    Corey Nelson (25)

Will Compton (28)
    Derrick Johnson (35)
    Michael Wilhoite (31)
    Steven Johnson (30)

Nick Bellore (28)
    Julian Stanford (27)
    Tank Carder (29)
    Sean Spence (27)

Andrew Gachkar (29)
    Kelvin Sheppard (30)
    Mark Herzlich (30)
    Rey Maualuga (31)
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

How would you guys feel about a Josh Byrnes return? I haven’t really followed him since he left but if he can be a decent coverage LB who will be cheap, why not?

Kamar Aiken, Deonte Thompson and Jeremy Butler are all UFA's?

Woo hoo! We can have a "Heroes of the Preseason" reunion. Well, I guess Aiken actually did some regular season stuff.

On a serious note, I'd be OK to re-upping Wallace but NOT overpaying him. At his age, I'm not sure what he can expect on the open market. Then again, maybe a true "reset" might be best at the WR position. I like Paul Richardson if he's not too pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal55 View Post
    How would you guys feel about a Josh Byrnes return? I haven’t really followed him since he left but if he can be a decent coverage LB who will be cheap, why not?
    I assume you mean Josh Bynes. I've always liked him (and will forever remember him as the guy who made the last tackle in SB 47) but I'm not sure he's what we need next to Mosely at this point.

I just found this little tidbit. One of the guys does have us signing Jimmy Graham, so we'll see. I'd be okay with it if the money is reasonable.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-signings-cuts

"Where will tight end Jimmy Graham land in free agency?

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: Baltimore. The Ravens need all kinds of pass-catchers, including one at tight end. I say they make a play for Graham as they try to put more playmakers around Joe Flacco to see whether he can help them make one more run before it's all over."

Graham and Landry would definitely give us a chance to remake the offense.
    Last edited by esmd; 03-05-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

As far as our own players go.. resign Jensen if not too pricey and the rest of those clowns can kick rocks.

I would personally make Trey Burton a priority signing and rebuild our receiving unit through the draft.

My opinion of who the Ravens should target hasn't changed much.

Incumbents - Urban is fine I guess if the price is low... but the only guy I really want to resign is Jensen. Maybe Mike Wallace if you twist my arm.

WRs - sign two, stay young and don't overpay. Also draft two, one early and one mid-late.

Donte Moncrief (24)
    Allen Robinson (24)
    Sammy Watkins (24)
    T.J. Jones (25)
    Jordan Matthews (25)
    Albert Wilson (25)
    Bruce Ellington (26)
    Marqise Lee (26)
    Paul Richardson (26)
    John Brown (27)
    Taylor Gabriel (27)
    Ryan Grant (27)

TE - sign one and draft one. Spend on Jimmy Graham if you can -- otherwise, go young again and don't overspend.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (25)
    Troy Niklas (25)
    Trey Burton (26)
    Richard Rodgers (26)
    Jimmy Graham (31)

ILB: #1 target is Preston Brown. But again, no need to go old and/or expensive.

Preston Brown (25)
    Anthony Hitchens (25)
    Avery Williamson (25)
    Christian Jones (27)
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 03-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Here's the list of guys I do NOT want the Ravens to get.

WR
    Jarvis Landry - not after signing the franchise tag.
    Cody Latimer - I want them to go young but there's a limit on lack of productivity.
    Kendall Wright - this guy's mediocre and there are too many younger mediocre options who could still improve.
    Danny Amendola - this guy screams drop-off if he leaves New England. Let him stay their hero.
    Anyone else age 30+ - except maybe Mike Wallace since he has in-house experience and can actually catch.

TE
    Tyler Eifert - don't need yet another oft-injured tight end especially if he demands a significant contract.
    Antonio Gates - superb season for a 37 year old. Just unsure if he can do it again.
    Ben Watson - same as Gates. He was perhaps the Ravens best pass catcher last season. Thanks, but bye

ILB
    Zach Brown - I suspect this will be one of the biggest overpays this off season.
    Brian Cushing - don't even think about it.
    John Bostic - just not that good.
    Kevin Minter -also just not that good.
    Ray Maualuga - nothing to offer for what the Ravens need to compliment CJ Mosley.
    Derrick Johnson - is he retiring?
    Karlos Dansby - is HE retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Here's the list of guys I do NOT want the Ravens to get.

WR
    Jarvis Landry - not after signing the franchise tag.
    Cody Latimer - I want them to go young but there's a limit on lack of productivity.
    Kendall Wright - this guy's mediocre and there are too many younger mediocre options who could still improve.
    Danny Amendola - this guy screams drop-off if he leaves New England. Let him stay their hero.
    Anyone else age 30+ - except maybe Mike Wallace since he has in-house experience and can actually catch.

TE
    Tyler Eifert - don't need yet another oft-injured tight end especially if he demands a significant contract.
    Antonio Gates - superb season for a 37 year old. Just unsure if he can do it again.
    Ben Watson - same as Gates. He was perhaps the Ravens best pass catcher last season. Thanks, but bye

ILB
    Zach Brown - I suspect this will be one of the biggest overpays this off season.
    Brian Cushing - don't even think about it.
    John Bostic - just not that good.
    Kevin Minter -also just not that good.
    Ray Maualuga - nothing to offer for what the Ravens need to compliment CJ Mosley.
    Derrick Johnson - is he retiring?
    Karlos Dansby - is HE retiring?

Lol...this is pretty solid IMO.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I'm against giving Eifert a multi year deal, but if all he's getting are 1 year nibbles, which I think is likely given the injury history, I'm more than willing to take a flyer on him for that. A lot of potential reward with minimal risk on a 1 year. Granted, you would have to supplement it with either another TE signing or drafting one.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I'm against giving Eifert a multi year deal, but if all he's getting are 1 year nibbles, which I think is likely given the injury history, I'm more than willing to take a flyer on him for that. A lot of potential reward with minimal risk on a 1 year. Granted, you would have to supplement it with either another TE signing or drafting one.
    I agree.

He scares the hell outta me, but if you're him and your looking at our TE depth chart + no target-monsters in sight at WR, he should jump at such an opportunity.
    Throw up some nice stats in 2018 and get a killer deal for 3-4 years forward.

@BigPlayReceiver