Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2018 League-wide Free Agency Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    OK, was just going by my gut that seems to feel Harbaugh is reluctant to start rookies. If you've got proof to the contrary, then so be it. Actually, I'd be glad if you were right on the subject... Bc
    2008 - Joe Flacco and Ray Rice are the obvious ones, but Haruki Nakamura and Tom Zibikowski were major contributors on ST's and also contributed on defense. You could also toss in Jared Gaither considering he was a 21 year old.
    2009 - Michael Oher started all 16 games at RT. Dannell Ellerbe played in 13 games, starting 3. Lardarius Webb played in 14 games, starting 4.
    2010 - Terrance Cody played in 13 games at DT. David Reed had over 600 yards as a kick returner. Ed Dickson played in 15 games starting 5.
    2011 - Torrey Smith started 14 games and had over 800 yards receiving and 7 TD's. Albert McClellan played in all 16 games and started 1. Pernell McPhee played in all 16 games and had 6 sacks. Jimmy Smith played in all 16 games and started 3 and had 2 picks. LaQuan Williams played in 11 games on ST's.
    2012 - Justin Tucker. KO started 16 games at RT. Courtney Upshaw played in every game and started 9 at LB. Bernard Pierce saw a fair amount of playing time that year. DeAngelo Tyson played in 10 games and started 2. Deonte Thompson also saw a lot of snaps as a kick returner.
    2013 - Matt Elam started 15 games. Brandon Williams played in every game. Marlon Brown had over 500 yards and 7 TD's. Kyle Juice-Check played in all 16 games primarily on ST's. Brynden Trawick played in 8 games on ST's. Rick Wagner played in 14 games and started 2 at OT.
    2014 - CJ Mosley started every game. Terrence Brooks played in 11 games. Crocket Gillmore played in 15 games starting 1. James Hurst played in 15 games and started 4. Tim Jernigan played in 12 games and started in 2 and had 4 sacks. Zach Orr played in 14 games. Lorenzo Taliaferro played in 14 games. Fitz Toussaint played in 4 games. John Urschel played in 11 games and started in 3.
    2015 - Buck Allen had over 800 total yards and 3 TD's. Nick Boyle started 3 games. Kaelin Clay was a rookie we picked up off of Tampa's practice squad and he had almost 600 yards and a TD returning. Carl Davis played in 11 and started 2 games. Za Smith played in 15 games and had 5.5 sacks and 20 tackles. Maxx Williams had 32 receptions.
    2016 - Tavon Young started 11 games and had 2 picks. Correa played in 9 games and started 1. Ken Dixon had almost 500 yards and 3 TD's. Matt Judon had 4 sacks. Alex Lewis started at LG. Michael Pierce played in all 16 games. Ronnie Stanley started 12 games at LT and would have started all 16 had he not gotten hurt.
    2017 - Marlon Humphrey. Chuck Clark got a lot of playing time towards the 2nd half of the season. Tyus Bowser played in all 16 games. Jermaine Eluemunor started 2 games at RG. Patrick Ricard switched positions and played every game as a FB. Tim Williams played in 8 games.

So, really, if you look at the Ravens under Harbaugh, 2010 is really the only year that jumps out at you as not having a major rookie contribution and if you recall, that's the Sergio Kindle draft. Had Kindle not been a dumbass, I think he would have started opposite Suggs.

Anyway, the point is that Harbaugh clearly is ok with playing/starting young players - including rookies. I really think it just depends on the player. I think the "Harbaugh doesn't like young players" meme came with Art Brown and for a while I felt that way too. Why not just let the kid play? But, as we now know, Art Brown just wasn't good enough. I do think that injuries forced some of the players mentioned above into contributing/starting roles, but there were veteran players available at most of those positions as well. So...it's hard for me to really say one way or the other except I can only go by what I've seen.

Lastly, I think most NFL coaches prefer veteran players. What coach wouldn't? Veterans understand what to do, they understand how to practice, they understand how to approach film sessions, they understand and are typically more dedicated to taking care of their bodies in the off-season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    No its not, he is probably referring to last year we have one of the lowest amount of rookie snaps by any team. I saw the bar graph, there was teams witn 3 or 4 times the amount of snaps

Tavon didn't play 1 snap last year, he was on IR all year. Lewis and Stanley both missed time as rookies

Overall from the entire group, lately No, this team has not been starting a lot of its rookie class. The 2016 group we saw a fair amount of snaps but

You bring up CJ Mosley, look back to his rookie year, there wasn't much contribution snap count from that entire group, still isn't. Half that group has spent more time on IR than Mosley has games
    So, are you suggesting that had Tavon Young been healthy he wouldn't have played a lot this year?

RIP #25

I think Tyus Bowser supported the meme, but when you put it in perspective. After Bowser's horrendous game against the Jaguars, Judon ran away with the SAM position.

Now I personally don't understand not getting him on the field somehow, but I think that's more on Dean Pees. He seems to put guys at 1 position and not flex guys to fit some personnel matchups (i.e. not doing anything to put Jefferson on James in the PIT game)
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Too lazy to look up any farther back but here you go

Ravens 2017 ranked 25th in league on rookie snap count 813 snaps
    Ravens 2016 ranked 6th in league on rookie snap count 2833 snaps

But look at all the years, not 1 rookie class resembles the 2016 group. We rarely start that many rookies so if i was betting man our team ranks closer to bottom than top if you want to add all the years together
    Well, I wasnt. See post #37 for a breakdown of each year.

Also, I think you have to take into consideration the positions that were drafted.

Humphrey was drafted with Jimmy, Tavon, Carr, Lardarius Webb, and Canady on the books.
    Bowser and Williams were drafted with Suggs, Judon, and Za on the books.
    Wormley was drafted with Carl Davis, Willie Henry, Brent Urban, and Bronson Kaufusi on the books.
    Chuck Clark was drafted with Eric Weddle, Tony Jefferson, and Anthony Levine on the books.
    Siragusa and Eluemunor were drafted with Jensen, Skura, Lewis, Urschel, and Yanda in front of them.

Point is that I look back on the 2017 draft and I see a lot of drafting for depth as opposed to guys that would be Day-1 starters.

Conversely, in 2016, they drafted Ronnie Stanley who basically had no one of value in front of him. Once they moved Webb back to safety, the path was clear for Tavon Young. I think if you compare the 2016 and 2017 roster, you'll see much better overall depth at a lot of positions they were weak at previously. It just so happens they drafted a bunch of guys at those positions as well in 2017.

Now, do you honestly think that had the Ravens taken someone like OJ Howard or Evan Engram instead of Humphrey, they wouldn't have likely started every game at TE? What about Round-2 with Juju over Bowser? I'm pretty certain JuJu would have been a starter for the Ravens last year.

RIP #25

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I think Tyus Bowser supported the meme, but when you put it in perspective. After Bowser's horrendous game against the Jaguars, Judon ran away with the SAM position.

Now I personally don't understand not getting him on the field somehow, but I think that's more on Dean Pees. He seems to put guys at 1 position and not flex guys to fit some personnel matchups (i.e. not doing anything to put Jefferson on James in the PIT game)
    I still think Bowser should be given the opportunity to compete for the WILL LB spot beside CJ.

RIP #25

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

I just think the 2017 draft was frustrating because the entire draft was positions that we had a ton of depth at. It was like setting fire to a building that had already been blown up.

RIP #25

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I just think the 2017 draft was frustrating because the entire draft was positions that we had a ton of depth at. It was like setting fire to a building that had already been blown up.
    Best summation of this past year I've heard yet
    Last call 2018 James Washington Hype Train

Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

I still think Bowser should be given the opportunity to compete for the WILL LB spot beside CJ.
    Interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal55 View Post
    Interesting.
    I know some folks don't agree, but I recall several scouts and pundits saying how good Bowser was dropping into coverage and his lateral movement was pretty exceptional for a 6'4" 250lbs linebacker. It is true, he could be a really dynamic edge rusher. However, if he can indeed display the level of athleticism and coverage ability that scouts/pundits claimed a year ago...then why not? You know? He can't be any worse than Correa.

RIP #25

Dan Orlovsky

Verified account

@danorlovsky7
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    I’m telling you I watched every single AJ Mccarron snap in his NFL career this past weekend & my take: he’s much more impressive then people, including me, give him credit for. I’ll post show clips next few days to show “why”. #Browns #Bengals #NFLFreeAgency #Broncos #Cardinals

Bears slap transition tag on CB Kyle Fuller

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...on-kyle-fuller
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

BP '17 (post Maclin rev): 65 of 115 for 1050 and 8

@BigPlayReceiver