Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike McGlinchey

Mike McGlinchey

Here's McGlinchey's analysis, I started and pretty much finished his analysis before the combine started and so I didn't factor in any measurements or anything. For further analyses I still won't factor in any combine related material. All of these are purely film based. Take a good look at it and let me know what you think.

Mike McGlinchey

Strengths:
    • Passes the eye test, has a great frame, long arms, appears to be in shape
    • Played in an extremely complicated and versatile offense at Notre Dame (I saw almost everything from them: Power I, 12-man personnel, shotgun, pistol, spread option, zone read, stretch runs, wildcat etc.…)
    • Watched film from 15’, 16’, and 17’ and he improved every single year. Shows that he’s good at self-analysis and improving upon weaknesses
    • Played RT in 15’ and did an ok job against some terrific players and defenses (Ohio State w/ Joey Bosa and Sam Hubbard and Clemson w/ Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd)
    • Often, he does a good job moving up to linebacker (@10:35 1st Q. vs Stan 2017, @3:32 2nd Q vs Stan 2017)
    • Has some of the best pass pro footwork in this class, he maintains his kick and post foot for almost the duration of the play until he engages the defender. Almost never turns his hips too early, unless he senses that the defender is taking a wide arc and then he’ll turn when necessary
    • Has shown the ability to churn feet and drive defenders backwards (@4:18 1st Q. vs Stan 2017, @10:24 3rd Q. vs Stan 2017)
    • Consistently has great pad level. Allows him to be a great pass protector and handle bull rushes and powerful edge defenders. Also enables him to move guys off the line (granted he’s working with QN here but still he’s low @11:33 2nd Q vs Mia 2017)
    • Does a good job of picking up twists and stunts from DL and DE
    • Consistently good hip pop upon contact with defender (@10:30 2nd Q vs Stan 2017)
    • Does a fantastic job of mirroring defenders and not lunging at them, usually places himself in position to cut them off and then absorb their move
    • Good kicking, positioning, athleticism, and footwork allows him to post back up field to cut off inside moves and rushes (@12:03 1st Q vs Mia 2017, @14:13 1st Q. vs UGA)
    • Appears to move well and move defenders well on outside zone plays
    • Does a good job of handling defenders who slant inside to attack B gap (@9:56 4th Q vs Mia 2017)
    • Flexible (@4:07 4th Q vs Stan 2017)
    • Did a fantastic job in pass pro against Bradley Chubb @7:26 2nd Q vs NCST 2017

Weaknesses:
    • Hand placement is inconsistent. Sometimes he’ll shoot them inside and control the defender. At other times he will have them on the shoulder pads and will not be as effective
    • Needs to develop, trust, and use his punch more in pass pro
    • Would like to see him keep his head on a swivel when not engaged in pass pro, to pick up delayed blitzes and stunts (@2:01 3rd Qtr. vs UGA, @4:46 2nd Q vs Mia 2017)
    • Seems to be inconsistent with spacial awareness. He usually is very good at moving to the second level to get LB’s, very good at moving out on screens, and very good at pulling. However, there are times where he just…. isn’t. I can’t seem to pinpoint a reason for this either. Most of his struggles came against Mia, so maybe it was a flukey thing. But still in other games there are times where I expect him to make a good block and he just misses.
    • Much like other prospects he fails to truly lock out his arms and bench press the defender to make driving that much more effective. This is how you put the defender on skates. Many linemen fail at this unfortunately.

Final Thoughts:
    McGlinchey is a very good OT prospect. He’s a pure OT who can play right or left, and doesn’t project to G or C. He’s extremely good in one on one situations where it’s him vs the DE or OLB on passing plays. He does a good job of initiating contact and popping his hips when he meets defenders at the line, and he usually does a good job at chopping his feet and trying to drive defenders with leg drive. He’s shown the ability to play well in all schemes while at ND, which also tells me he’s good at knowing his assignment and executing game plans. He’s very athletic for a big man and appears to move well in space. His flaws aren’t major. He needs to learn to use his punch more in pass pro instead of latching on, as well as timing his punch better. It appears he doesn’t trust his punch because in the past when he punched, his hands were typically swatted away, but now that he’s stronger I anticipate that his punch could be effective. His biggest flaw is spacial awareness. During a passing play he will lock his attention onto one defender and that’s it. So even if he’s not engaged he won’t go looking for work. Delayed blitzes worked very well against him. He also struggles to mentally grasp, on the fly during a play, exotic blitzes and who to block. I personally would like to see him add another 10lbs of quality mass to his frame. This is pre-combine, so I don’t know what his measurements are, but I’m guessing his body can easily handle another 10lbs. He also needs to improve his core strength, I think that would make him more effective in the run game as it will allow him to lock on and drive defenders easier as well as make him a much more stable presence in the pass with a better punch and even better at handling bull rushes. In my opinion he’s worth a late first round pick and could be a good to outstanding RT. I also think that in the Ravens scheme he’ll be able to utilize his strengths because obviously we don’t do any spread option or zone reads. He’s one of the 4 linemen that I’d take in the late part of the first round. Run blocking = B+, Pass blocking =B+
    Last edited by BRfan96; 03-02-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Re: Mike McGlinchey

Nice job man. This is a guy I could see trading down and grabbing. Nice bookends. Off topic but what are your thoughts on the Army Kid? Toth I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Nice job man. This is a guy I could see trading down and grabbing. Nice bookends.
    Lax, don't be surprised if McGlinchey goes before our pick. This draft isn't full of top-notch OTs, but he seems to be the best of bunch... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Lax, don't be surprised if McGlinchey goes before our pick. This draft isn't full of top-notch OTs, but he seems to be the best of bunch... Bc
    I’m sure. It’s the Ravens after all. They’ll just grab best Alabama Player for Oz’s last call. Lol.

Nice job man. This is a guy I could see trading down and grabbing. Nice bookends. Off topic but what are your thoughts on the Army Kid? Toth I think?

i saw some of Toth at the senior bowl, not enough obviously to make a judgement, but the guy has potential. Mind you he does have to serve for 2 years before he can play in the NFL. It's part of his contract with Army.

Quote Originally Posted by BRfan96 View Post
    i saw some of Toth at the senior bowl, not enough obviously to make a judgement, but the guy has potential. Mind you he does have to serve for 2 years before he can play in the NFL. It's part of his contract with Army.
    Ah. Can he get an exemption like Reynolds?

I think there's actualy a decent chance that he falls to us at 16. Now I mentioned that I'd prefer to take him later in the 1st as a trade back. Does he fall to 22? 26? I don't know. But the only teams in front of us that need OL are NYG, DEN, and Cin. if NYG and Den both go QB then there's a pretty good chance he falls to us. I see an OL run happening from 16-24.

Ah. Can he get an exemption like Reynolds?

Not sure, I believe Toth intends on honoring his agreement and serving anyway. Plus Reynolds was Navy, Toth is army. There may be a different policy since they're different branches and institutions.

Not sure, I believe Toth intends on honoring his agreement and serving anyway. Plus Reynolds was Navy, Toth is army. There may be a different policy since they're different branches and institutions.
    True. Guy did look promising at the Senior Bowl. Maybe the next Villanueva.

Blog Entries

I think there's actualy a decent chance that he falls to us at 16. Now I mentioned that I'd prefer to take him later in the 1st as a trade back. Does he fall to 22? 26? I don't know. But the only teams in front of us that need OL are NYG, DEN, and Cin. if NYG and Den both go QB then there's a pretty good chance he falls to us. I see an OL run happening from 16-24.
    Of course it's difficult to predict which team will want to bolster it's Oline, but the Ravens only need one before us and the Bengals (#12) could be that team... Bc

Blog Entries

Yup he could be first OT selected

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Of course it's difficult to predict which team will want to bolster it's Oline, but the Ravens only need one before us and the Bengals (#12) could be that team... Bc
    If the Bengals are smart they'll take him. But sometimes people evaluate differently and have different big boards. It's like you said it's difficult to predict who goes where.