Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demario Davis

Demario Davis

I know everyone will probably flip their shit if we don't select 8 offensive players in the draft and sign 8 more in free agency, but ILB needs to be addressed. Historically, we've done an excellent job at finding that UFA gem that steps in and becomes an unsung hero for us, but Demario Davis is a difference maker that's worth considering. He's a very underrated backer that could take our run defense to the next level, especially if Wink decides to take a more aggressive approach this year.

According to NFL.com, in 2017, Demario Davis finished 1st for solo tackles (97) and 6th for combined tackles (135). He put up 5 sacks (4 more than Mosely) and had 2 INT.

ProFootballFocus, graded him the 8th overall LB with a grade of 87.3 (Mosely 75.7). Among ILBs they ranked him #1 for stops, #1 for QB hits, #2 in QB hurries, and #1 in total pressure (sacks + hits + hurries). He also ranked 10th in total tackling efficiency, 3 spots behind Mosely.

According to PFF, ILBs who took at least 50% of the snaps, Mosely ranked dead last for yards given up while in coverage (582 yds). Whereas, Davis gave up the 7th fewest (342 yds) and ranked #3 in fewest yards given up per snap, while in coverage.

Spotrack.com has given him an market valuation of $5.1M/yr and has projected a contract in the range of 3yr/$15M based on statistical comparisons and recent contracts given to similar players.

He's 29 years old, and similar to RBs, linebackers tend to have a drop in play once they run into that 30 yr wall, which is why he's probably not going to break the bank. However, Mosely paired with Davis for the next 2-3 years could become the best LB tandem in that span. That alone would be worth $5M/yr in my mind. Considering, that kind of contract would likely carry a $3M cap hit in the 1st year, this could be the steal of the offseason for us if we pulled the trigger.

Re: Demario Davis

I'd be happy with him or Navaro Bowman. A vet with a track record that isn't expensive is all we really need to fill that hole.

I don't want to use an early draft pick on an ILB. Nobody wants to go through another failed science experiment with guys like Correa or Bowser being converted to ILB. Banking on a late round or UDFA is how we ended up with Patrick Onwuasor starting for us. Signing a vet like the above seems like the way to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
    I know everyone will probably flip their shit if we don't select 8 offensive players in the draft and sign 8 more in free agency, but ILB needs to be addressed. Historically, we've done an excellent job at finding that UFA gem that steps in and becomes an unsung hero for us, but Demario Davis is a difference maker that's worth considering. He's a very underrated backer that could take our run defense to the next level, especially if Wink decides to take a more aggressive approach this year.

According to NFL.com, in 2017, Demario Davis finished 1st for solo tackles (97) and 6th for combined tackles (135). He put up 5 sacks (4 more than Mosely) and had 2 INT.

ProFootballFocus, graded him the 8th overall LB with a grade of 87.3 (Mosely 75.7). Among ILBs they ranked him #1 for stops, #1 for QB hits, #2 in QB hurries, and #1 in total pressure (sacks + hits + hurries). He also ranked 10th in total tackling efficiency, 3 spots behind Mosely.

According to PFF, ILBs who took at least 50% of the snaps, Mosely ranked dead last for yards given up while in coverage (582 yds). Whereas, Davis gave up the 7th fewest (342 yds) and ranked #3 in fewest yards given up per snap, while in coverage.

Spotrack.com has given him an market valuation of $5.1M/yr and has projected a contract in the range of 3yr/$15M based on statistical comparisons and recent contracts given to similar players.

He's 29 years old, and similar to RBs, linebackers tend to have a drop in play once they run into that 30 yr wall, which is why he's probably not going to break the bank. However, Mosely paired with Davis for the next 2-3 years could become the best LB tandem in that span. That alone would be worth $5M/yr in my mind. Considering, that kind of contract would likely carry a $3M cap hit in the 1st year, this could be the steal of the offseason for us if we pulled the trigger.

No thanks. The defense doesn’t need another 5mill per addition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I'd be interested in Davis too. He's a good player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Yes he would work. They have to find someone through draft or FA and with Shazier out, Pitt will be looking too.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I'd be happy with him or Navaro Bowman. A vet with a track record that isn't expensive is all we really need to fill that hole.
    Yeah, I think Bowman would be a good fit for us too but the injuries...dude has only play in 19 games over the last 3 seasons.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think Bowman would be a good fit for us too but the injuries...dude has only play in 19 games over the last 3 seasons.
    I thought he said last year he only wants to play on the left coast

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    With Shazier out, Pitt will be looking too.
    Good point but I think their cap situation might limit what they can do in FA this year. Right now they're sitting at $6M under and haven't even tagged bell yet, ($14M+).

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I thought he said last year he only wants to play on the left coast
    Which ever coast pays the most.

Blog Entries

Good point but I think their cap situation might limit what they can do in FA this year. Right now they're sitting at $6M under and haven't even tagged bell yet, ($14M+).

He’s made his money he only signed with oak because he didn’t have to move. Plus I’d put money he’s the type of player Gruden covets

Except that I believe their cap number includes Shazier's 2018 salary of around $8MM, which they won't have to pay when they reach an injury settlement with him.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Except that I believe their cap number includes Shazier's 2018 salary of around $8MM, which they won't have to pay when they reach an injury settlement with him.
    I don’t think they can teach a settlement on a 5th year option

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I believe an injury settlement will count against the cap. An injury settlement is also used for players that do not have season ending injuries. In this case Shazier's salary is protected. He is going to receive the full amount. It allows a team to release a player with a minor injury based on a negotiation of the weeks the player is expected to be out. The team does this hoping that they can pick the player up later without having to carry them on the roster while injured.